Jonsered 920 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbohnet

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Another newbie with some questions. Just picked up a Jonsered 920 from an elderly gentleman that would not start. After lots of good reading on this site and a bit of tinkering, got the saw running. One of the carb needle valves was screwed all the way out. Felt good, this was my first attempt at chainsaw repair.

The saw is missing the air filter and seems these are impossible to find. From what I have read it appears the 930 filter and mount would work, but can't seem to find one of these either. Does anyone have a 930 mount and filter willing to sell or know where I could get one? Has anyone made there own filter?

When the saw is turned on its side, it leaks fuel out of what I believe is the vent, a round filter like looking device mounted on top of fuel tank. It looks like tubing is supposed to be connected to this. Can anyone tell me how this vent works and what is missing? Thanks!

Welcome to the site!

The carb screws (L and H) should be about one full turn counter clockwise from seated.

The switch to the 930 filter is a little more complicated. The filters are different between the 920 and 930 which affects how the air filter cover attaches. You will need the cylinder cover, carb intake, air filter and cover for the swap to work. Occasionally a 920 filter will show up on ebay but they don't go cheap.

I uploaded the 930 manual and will find the 920 and attach it later. You can see what I am talking about in the files. You can always get the intake for the 930 and put a K&N filter on your 920 if you are in a real pinch.

Last edited:
920 file attached.

Almost forgot, there should be another tube after the filter looking thing with a check valve if my memory is right.

What he said about the K&N. I saw a bigger Johny from around that era on the repair shelf at a dealer near me and it had a nice K&N set up on it.

Thanks for the replies. I checked the K&N website, looks like it could make a good filter setup. Still need a 930 filter mount but searched all over, can't seem to find one. Any suggestions on where to go?

Not likely you will find a filter. My plan for my 920: K&N; it already has a velocity stack, if you go to your local saw shop they should have a beat up old box of cast off intake boots/velocity stacks to pick from, just find one that fits your intake. The filter cover for the 920 fastens on center of the intake, a problem. If you look to the outboard of the saw, adjacent to the boot, there are two tapped bosses, one is part of the forward mount for the ig. trigger, the opposite one is unused. I'm just going to run studs up from there high enough to pass through the filter cover, and pick up a couple of knurled thumbscrews to cinch it down. That way I can still have that cover with a K&N set-up (properly cut holes in the cover of course).

Last edited:
Thanks Teatersroad. Looking at the saw, what you are proposing makes sense. Will start looking for an intake that fits. Not sure what the local saw shop has, they are quite small. Would you know what other make/model saw's intake might fit the 920?

Latest posts

Back