Jonsered Camp GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Had a nice little GTG at my house today. Had the cream of my Jonsered collection out on the deck as a theme, but it was of course a multi-brand event.

Let me get right to the most significant item: As I write this, I am enjoying the last piece of key lime pie, brought by J.Walker. Heavenly. Monica's pies; Naples, NY.(www.monicaspies.com) Chain saws? What saws?

Had the priveledge of hosting, weimedog, motomedik, J.Walker, and our production manager, Woodchucker81. (Who will no doubt post plenty of pics after he gets home later tonight. BloodOnTheIce, and Chainsawwhisperer, we missed you guys. Also missed were HarryBarker and Barney34, but your excuses were a bit lame. LOL The guys were raving about the ribs I did on the smoker, but HarryBarkers' would have been even better.

5 guys and we probably ran a couple dozen saws between us. Motomedik in particular did lot's of experimenting, or myth busting, by changing lots variables on some 50cc saws. 7 pin vs 8 pin; .325 vs 3/8. I'll let him cover that, but I will say that he can port a 350 cylinder so that it will run with any other 50cc saw out there.

J.Walker brought a seriously worked Husky 365 that toasted everything else there. That thing was a hoot to run. Everybody would cut with it, and then kind of giggle after shutting the saw off.

Woodchucker had his amphetamine laced 7900 and 681. The Solo was consistantly a wee bit faster, but as is often the case here, it's a matter of splitting hairs. Slotting in between those two was my Jonsered 930Super, which really was "super". (and stock) It was the first time I had really cut with that thing and you could push the heck out of it and stretch the mounts, but you couldn't stall the chain. Torque, and then some.

In that same family were weimedogs' 820 and 920, running times that were pretty close. Between the two of us we have an almost silly number of the big Jonnys. But we were joking that being the same old age of 53, how much longer would we want to run the Big Reds. (But we're going to keep building them anyway. :cheers:) We both seem to get a kick out of "creating" usable saws from piles of parts, and we have plenty of projects ahead.

Thanks guys for coming down, and I hope everyone had a good ride home. I'll be lookin' for those pics later.

God, that pie was good!

Sounds like ya'll had a great time. Wish I was closer.:cheers:

Sounds like a good time, looking forward to the pics!

:cheers:

Too bad you weren't closer. You'd have enjoyed how that 930 ran. If the wood had been bigger it would have likely beaten everything there with all of that torque.

I was in the shop all day playing catch up, and Chainsawwhisperer (that lousy bum) is on vacation in Jamaica right now. I talked to him last week about the GTG, and said he'd be on vacation and tried not to rub it in too bad, thanks buddy.

Man I wish I was there. I was actually up your way fishing at the Ashokan Res. Nothing biting today except a cold wind coming off the reservoir.

You have incoming this week Bob I gotta get a new string head for my 39r Husky handle bar trimmer. Are the chances good for getting a tap advance for that thing? I have a tempermental manual advance (stop it and then use your hands to advance it), but I really want a tap and go.

Man I wish I was there. I was actually up your way fishing at the Ashokan Res. Nothing biting today except a cold wind coming off the reservoir.

You have incoming this week Bob I gotta get a new string head for my 39r Husky handle bar trimmer. Are the chances good for getting a tap advance for that thing? I have a tempermental manual advance (stop it and then use your hands to advance it), but I really want a tap and go.

You were that close? You might have been able to hear the saws from the reservior, especially Jack's 365!

I didn't hear a peep. I was on the 28a side too. The only saw action I heard was a guy using a big stihl to buck up a 30"+ punky log as I drove through Olivebridge. :cheers:

Thanks Spike for hosting the event today, great time!
Never did count all of those Jonsered saws that you had out on display but it sure was a few.
Glad that I bought two pies because this Dutch Apple is sure good.

See you all soon!

Thanks Spike for hosting the event today, great time!
Never did count all of those Jonsered saws that you had out on display but it sure was a few.
Glad that I bought two pies because this Dutch Apple is sure good.

See you all soon!

Whoa, wait a minute! There was another pie??? Dutch apple???

I gotta visit that place. THall can go to Wendy's, but I'm headin' to Monicas' !!!

C'mon Bob, you should know better than this...

attachment.php

I need to see your Jonny collection...:cheers:

Too bad you weren't closer. You'd have enjoyed how that 930 ran. If the wood had been bigger it would have likely beaten everything there with all of that torque.

It would have been nice to make it down. When in Maine, "You can't get there from here".

:cheers:

Thanks for having us Spike! Had a great time! It was nice to see so many Jonny models and put them in wood. You have a sweet collection!

Great food, great people, great day all around. Couldn't have asked for better weather. I think it rained 20 drops all day. And man can Spike grill up some good ribs!! :D :cheers:

Here's the pics.

J.walker
IMG_8139.jpg

Spike60's "hang out".
IMG_8141.jpg

Motomedik and spike60.
IMG_8142.jpg

J.Walker
IMG_8143.jpg

Enough Jonny's??
IMG_8144.jpg

IMG_8145.jpg

That's more like it !!! :clap:

Nice line-up of the Jonny's....that's a lot of red... and trigger ready it seems...
you need some more oldies to complete that line.

What are the silver tops : 621 and 80 ?

thanks for putting up those pics...looks like a real nice place to have a GTG....and them ribs look real inviting...grrrrrr.

Back