Jonsered Camp GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But the 50 would have a one piece, all silver, all metal filter/spark plug cover. That black plug cover is simply unacceptable. Spike, no hockey until that cover is black!!!

50 or 51 was my original guess, but I changed my mind to 52 or 521, without looking anything up......

Now I see that the 51 also had a black top, so memory was off on that! GRRRRRR!

I sure am no expert on those smaller old Jonsereds!

Last edited:
50 or 51 was my original guess, but I changed my mind to 52 or 521, without looking anything up......

Now I see that the 51 also had a black top, so memory was off on that! GRRRRRR!

I sure am no expert on those smaller old Jonsereds!

Yep I think the 45 and 50 both were silver tops and the 51,52 and 52E were black. And the 49SP was of course JonseREDs!!!!:cheers:

I've opened my mouth and now I see Acres site lists the paint on the 45 as black and red...

I was positive that the 45s I've seen were silver and red?????? Acres is not always right but neither am I!!!! Who has the answer now???? Niko???

There never was a silvertop 45, it was a much later (and less attractive) model.

The 50 came in both 44 (early) and 49cc (later) versions though - I guess (actually know) that is what threw at least my memory off - thinking the 50 was 44cc and the 51 a silvertop 49cc - before looking it up!

It is true that there are lots of mistakes on Acres site, but most of the info is correct anyway!

I obviously haven't double-checked everything - but the majority of obvious mistakes I have seen are in the Partner (1970s mostly - pics and bore/stroke) and Stihl (late 1980s/early 1990s - intro years) sections. There are a couple of intro year mistakes in the Jonsered section as well, that I have notised (1980s, both related to the 670).

Last edited:
But the 50 would have a one piece, all silver, all metal filter/spark plug cover. That black plug cover is simply unacceptable. Spike, no hockey until that cover is black!!!

Oh man, bad juju Bob.

You might want to get that straightened out before the Sabres stomp the Bruins tomorrow night. :)

OK fellas; I went right out to the workshop as soon as I got home, (and grabbed a beer from the fridge), and the 52E has been re-united with it's proper black cover.

Repent! Repent I say! Or thy soul will surely toil in purgatory for thoust silver sin.

Hail Jonny;
Full of spunk
Most other saws;
are simply junk.

In a way;
it kind of sucks.
Getting bought;
by Electrolux

But whether thy top;
be silver or black.
If you don't run Red;
You're high on crack.

:givebeer: (not that I need another one LOL)

OK fellas; I went right out to the workshop as soon as I got home, (and grabbed a beer from the fridge), and the 52E has been re-united with it's proper black cover.

Repent! Repent I say! Or thy soul will surely toil in purgatory for thoust silver sin.

Hail Jonny;
Full of spunk
Most other saws;
are simply junk.

In a way;
it kind of sucks.
Getting bought;
by Electrolux

But whether thy top;
be silver or black.
If you don't run Red;
You're high on crack.

HAHAHAHAHA!! If I could only rep you for that.

:cheers:

Hail Jonny;
Full of spunk
Most other saws;
are simply junk.

In a way;
it kind of sucks.
Getting bought;
by Electrolux

But whether thy top;
be silver or black.
If you don't run Red;
You're high on crack.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: That's cool!

Hail Jonny;
Full of spunk
Most other saws;
are simply junk.

In a way;
it kind of sucks.
Getting bought;
by Electrolux

But whether thy top;
be silver or black.
If you don't run Red;
You're high on crack.

Spike I think breaking into spontanious poetry is a sure sign of working too much.

Thanks

Eric, Niko thanks for explaining the differences in the covers. Perhaps the 45 I saw with the silver top was taken from a 50. It's kind of amazing that Jonsereds had such a line up of similar (49cc) saw all produced around the same time. Acres says the 45 was produced from 75-83 starting a yr earlier and finishing a yr later than the 49SP. Acres site is a wonderful resource but is occasionally off a bit. It usually doesn't get caught until you have the saw in question and are looking for info. The one error that comes to my mind is with the 49SP. Acres says the the timing isn't adjustable and there is no points setting. Inferring that it is electronic ign. When if fact the timing is adjustable and it has points. It wouldn't matter unless you were trying to find out what the points setting was supposed to be. HAHAHA if it were electronic I guess it would have been called a 49SPE...........!! Maybe when the mood strikes me I'll build one!!!!!:cheers:

A little late to the party! But a few comments:

Thanks Spike for hosting a great day & GTG, Good folks, great food yet again, and an amazing array of two stroke power. The days are too short...

Spike's place is perfect for this type of thing with a really nice work shop back towards the woods where the saws do their thing.

Spike has an amazing collection of J-reds...New to old, just J-red history right there on the porch. (Thanks to Woodchucker81 for the pictures so you all can see this is real! Especially that J-red collection!)

AND Spike yet again bailed my butt out trying to finish off my two J-red Projects, a 920 and 2051. He had a filter for the 2051 and yet another 920 I was able to pick over to complete mine...needed mounts, filters, and a few other bits and pieces. And It ran! (The oil pump works fine after I turned its adjustment screw...now its an oil gusher) Thanks Bob; for the time, patience, and help. And today I did break those limiters off the 2051..its much better with a little fuel. I had fun running those old J-reds. They will improve as time goes on...and I have a rainy day or two to spend on them.

Jacks 365 "looks like stock" Husqvarna is in a completely different league than any Saw I have ever seen that has a stock look about it. It isn't Stock and it was by far the fastest saw there..and it also became obvious that just like any other motorsport...racing brings a skill set you just can't find anywhere else. Jack could make any saw run faster thru our test logs than the owners could. Its like the trail rider on motorcycles who impresses himself with wheelies vs. the guys who have put themselves thru several years of track time. There is no comparison.

Back to woodchucker. I have to say, as I mentioned somewhere else, the Solo is the best advertizement for..Solo imaginable. The more I see as compared to other similar saws the more impressive it is. That saw is smooth and lightning fast. Its also one that would make a hard day in the woods fun. All you guys who trash Solo saws haven't seen this one. I'm also reminded of the Solo that was at Spikes GTG last summer. It was also an amazing saw. So now I've seen two. Its a trend folks.

And motomedic is learning the art of saw building. Wonder where this will lead in a year or two..and maybe a CNY Blsnelling? Time will tell! And I didn't fall asleep on the way home following him & his wife's VW back to Cortland ..never a dull moment. So what did you conclude after all the sprocket & cylinder swaps?

Thanks again Spike for a wonderful GTG!

Last edited:
A little late to the party! But a few comments:

Thanks Spike for hosting a great day & GTG, Good folks, great food yet again, and an amazing array of two stroke power. The days are too short...

Spike's place is perfect for this type of thing with a really nice work shop back towards the woods where the saws do their thing.

Spike has an amazing collection of J-reds...New to old, just J-red history right there on the porch. (Thanks to Woodchucker81 for the pictures so you all can see this is real! Especially that J-red collection!)

AND Spike yet again bailed my butt out trying to finish off my two J-red Projects, a 920 and 2051. He had a filter for the 2051 and yet another 920 I was able to pick over to complete mine...needed mounts, filters, and a few other bits and pieces. And It ran! (The oil pump works fine after I turned its adjustment screw...now its an oil gusher) Thanks Bob; for the time, patience, and help. And today I did break those limiters off the 2051..its much better with a little fuel. I had fun running those old J-reds. They will improve as time goes on...and I have a rainy day or two to spend on them.

Jacks 365 "looks like stock" Husqvarna is in a completely different league than any Saw I have ever seen that has a stock look about it. It isn't Stock and it was by far the fastest saw there..and it also became obvious that just like any other motorsport...racing brings a skill set you just can't find anywhere else. Jack could make any saw run faster thru our test logs than the owners could. Its like the trail rider on motorcycles who impresses himself with wheelies vs. the guys who have put themselves thru several years of track time. There is no comparison.

Back to woodchucker. I have to say, as I mentioned somewhere else, the Solo is the best advertizement for..Solo imaginable. The more I see as compared to other similar saws the more impressive it is. That saw is smooth and lightning fast. Its also one that would make a hard day in the woods fun. All you guys who trash Solo saws haven't seen this one. I'm also reminded of the Solo that was at Spikes GTG last summer. It was also an amazing saw. So now I've seen two. Its a trend folks.

And motomedic is learning the art of saw building. Wonder where this will lead in a year or two..and maybe a CNY Blsnelling? Time will tell! And I didn't fall asleep on the way home following him & his wife's VW back to Cortland ..never a dull moment. So what did you conclude after all the sprocket & cylinder swaps?

Thanks again Spike for a wonderful GTG!

Awesome Walt! I always love your long post GTG reports! :cheers:

Glad you had a great time. T'was good seeing you as always. :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back