Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I myself do not mind clamshell designs on the smaller CC saws and own several in the 46 cc range. I even have one that I modified and have it 4 stroking at 14k rpm's.
Congradulations on the saw.

I think so...been quite a while since I read it....I will look when I get back to the shop. Never had to do it and don't have a dial indicator setup that will screw into the plug hole either..

Well, there's good news and there's bad.:rolleyes2: I took the flywheel off and found the coil damaged on the points plate. Not too much of a problem because I have a couple spares. But.....I can't solder that one connection to ground on the coil plate. Tomorrow I'm gonna buy a decent solder 'gun' that will give me the heat I need. The point was waaaaay to narrow like you thought. It looks like the PO tried to do something with the points plate and one of the screws, but lacked a metric Allen. Anyway, I need to get that one lead soldered to go further.

Kevin

Well, there's good news and there's bad.:rolleyes2: I took the flywheel off and found the coil damaged on the points plate. Not too much of a problem because I have a couple spares. But.....I can't solder that one connection to ground on the coil plate. Tomorrow I'm gonna buy a decent solder 'gun' that will give me the heat I need. The point was waaaaay to narrow like you thought. It looks like the PO tried to do something with the points plate and one of the screws, but lacked a metric Allen. Anyway, I need to get that one lead soldered to go further.

Kevin

Well that shouldn't to big a deal to solder with a good gun. I did go and reread the shop manual and your timing figures were correct...2.7mm or 7/64". You get the points cleaned, filed, matched and set to 0.016" and I think you'll see a big difference in that 90!!

Well that shouldn't to big a deal to solder with a good gun. I did go and reread the shop manual and your timing figures were correct...2.7mm or 7/64". You get the points cleaned, filed, matched and set to 0.016" and I think you'll see a big difference in that 90!!

Hope so.:msp_wink: Looks like the folks @Jonny got the ground plate hot and dropped a glob of solder in that hole all the way through. Weird way to connect wire....don't know why they didn't use a connector instead. I guess if I had to, I could screw a connector into that soft solder hole.

Kevin

I'm not a fan of plastic clamshells, but my dealer had a good price on this saw and I needed a small woodcutter to thrash.

The 2245 is 46cc, strato, and has a wide open muffler with no cat. No need for a muffler mod, there is nothing to drill or cut. Carb screws are the spline style without limiters, so you can get the spline tool or just take a dremel and cut slots in the heads so you can use a screwdriver. Right out of the box the H needle was set at 3/4 and the spark plug was white from the factory run-in. Way too lean.

It's rev-limited at about 13,200 but runs great at 12,700-12,800 and there is no need to go higher. The strato butterfly opens up after the throttle plate is already cracked open, so response is very good with no flat spot off of idle. Good air filter system- after cutting a cord of alder there was nothing in the air box except some fine dust. Oiler is adequate for a 18" bar.

Overall this seems to be a great little saw, and we'll see how it holds up after a few hundred hours.

Nice looking little saw! I have several of the 2100 series in the plastic clamshell. If I needed a good, reasonably priced firewood saw I wouldn't hesitate to buy a plastic clamshell saw. Just like anything else, if you take care of it, it will last a long time.

:cheers:

Nice looking little saw! I have several of the 2100 series in the plastic clamshell. If I needed a good, reasonably priced firewood saw I wouldn't hesitate to buy a plastic clamshell saw. Just like anything else, if you take care of it, it will last a long time.

:cheers:

And they're really easy to work on:)

"And they're really easy to work on .."

You mean compared to a Stihl 029 where every single screw needs to come out and there are parts all over the bench, just to replace piston rings?

CD....looked all over for the hottest soldering gun I could find. Wound up with a 280watt gun. That did the trick in like five secs....amazing. Man, that thing got HOT! Now, back together for a test run with the new coil and cleaned/gapped point.

Kevin

I need a grommet for the oil line where it comes through casing to the bar on my 535. I'd imagine it was a common across the board grommet. Any ideas on a replacement part number for something like that?

Purpose of a Stihl

"But they're a good saw for their intended purpose........................."

-Stihl Lovers Battle Cry

I'm getting used to the Stihl models and have owned quite a few for short amounts of time. The intended purpose for me is to find them cheap, clean them up, and sell so I can buy more Jonsereds! It's amazing what weekend woodcutters will pay for the Stihl name.

CD-fired right up! Sounds STRONG now, different saw. You da man, once again. Thank you!

I've got a falling job next week for a customer....I'll put it to work for sure. :clap:

Kevin

After getting some solid advice from cantdog, I did indeed find the point gap WAY too narrow in my Jonny 90. Also found a damaged coil once I removed the flywheel. Man, you never know what you'll get into from saws off fleabay.:msp_sad:

Anyway, got the saw all back together and took it on a big contract job I had. Saw ran great except it ran flat out-no adjusting the high speed jet. So rather than risk burning the saw up, I set it aside. Confident that my carb rebuild was OK(I used to rebuild exotic Weber carbs), I was looking for other culprits. When I took the carb off, I noticed something not right about the gasket supplied with the rebuild kit. It did not completely cover the high speed venturi of the intake manifold. Found a decent gasket I had and re-instaled...BINGO, could finally dial in the high speed jetting!

So I guess what I'm saying is that; just because a gasket comes in a rebuild kit, don't assume it's the correct carb gasket.:dizzy:

Kevin

After getting some solid advice from cantdog, I did indeed find the point gap WAY too narrow in my Jonny 90. Also found a damaged coil once I removed the flywheel. Man, you never know what you'll get into from saws off fleabay.:msp_sad:

Anyway, got the saw all back together and took it on a big contract job I had. Saw ran great except it ran flat out-no adjusting the high speed jet. So rather than risk burning the saw up, I set it aside. Confident that my carb rebuild was OK(I used to rebuild exotic Weber carbs), I was looking for other culprits. When I took the carb off, I noticed something not right about the gasket supplied with the rebuild kit. It did not completely cover the high speed venturi of the intake manifold. Found a decent gasket I had and re-instaled...BINGO, could finally dial in the high speed jetting!

So I guess what I'm saying is that; just because a gasket comes in a rebuild kit, don't assume it's the correct carb gasket.:dizzy:

Kevin

LOL!!!!! You are probably the only Jonsereds owner I haven't cautioned about this !!!! Even if/when you get a OEM Tilly kit that gasket will still not fit. You can either make one using the supplied one as a template just making it larger on the outside or a stock gasket from a more modern Husky or Jonsered...like from a 61/266/268/272 or 625/630 will work just fine. GLad you found the issues and got them worked out!!! Congrats!!

Guys, I bought a 2095 today for the WKY 6 cube build off. I've never built a large JRed or Husky so any hints or tricks would be appreciated. It is complete and has a good cylinder so I'm gonna buy a meteor piston and start from there. I will be splitting the cases to replace bearing and check the crank good also. The question I have is this, do I buy a 394 or 395 piston for a replacement and which would perform better. Like I said any help is appreciated...........

299756d1370986462-2095-jpg

LOL!!!!! You are probably the only Jonsereds owner I haven't cautioned about this !!!! Even if/when you get a OEM Tilly kit that gasket will still not fit. You can either make one using the supplied one as a template just making it larger on the outside or a stock gasket from a more modern Husky or Jonsered...like from a 61/266/268/272 or 625/630 will work just fine. GLad you found the issues and got them worked out!!! Congrats!!

Yeah...I had a bag of green gaskets I bought from somebody....somebody that knew about this problem with the Tilly gaskets I suspect. I went back and checked my other Jonny saw and could see the green gasket in there. I'm puzzled why I went for the smaller gasket in the first place.:dizzy:

Anyway, now that I spent some serious days with the 90, it's my favorite saw. Stronger by a tad than the 80 and smoother on the top end. Doesn't seem to vapor lock like the 80 when left in the sun and it's always a one-pull-to-start saw if it's been run a bit(strange, because the carb & vent system are the same). I'm going to put a 36" bar on it and see if it will pull it. The 90 doesn't pull of course, like the Husky 2100, but I use that saw just to bring down the big ones and buck up same. Now I've got a pretty balanced stable of saws for work. Thanks again for the points suggestion on the 90.:rock:

Kevin

Latest posts

Back