Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
90 Rings

OK in some weird way, I brought this on myself. Awhile back I bought a complete piston/rings/wrist pin for a 90-NOS from the bay. I took a hasty look at it and then put it in the Jonny box. Today I was hunting a set of NOS rings down that I bought for the 80. Found them and decided to look at the 90 piston I bought. Lower ring is broken, although everything looks completely NOS. I probably should match a new set of rings, rather than just replace only one. Where can I get a really nice quality set for an OE piston?

Kevin

jonsered 2050

I picked up an older Jonsered 2050 at the local land fill a couple weeks ago, but it was missing the clutch cover and chain brake, which I found the following weekend. It is still missing the top cover, rear handle, and the handle bar. I was surprised that it fired right up and the cylinder is bright and shiny, I have been contemplating parting it out or fixing it, so far fixing it is winning. What does everybody think?

I picked up an older Jonsered 2050 at the local land fill a couple weeks ago, but it was missing the clutch cover and chain brake, which I found the following weekend. It is still missing the top cover, rear handle, and the handle bar. I was surprised that it fired right up and the cylinder is bright and shiny, I have been contemplating parting it out or fixing it, so far fixing it is winning. What does everybody think?

That's a tough decision. Usually the gut reaction is to fix a 'found' saw...rescuing it for perpetuity etc. I'm faced with the same dilemma; bought a Husky 2100 from a pawn shop cheap and here it sits. I have a running 2100 that I use for work. I could easily restore this latest 2100 if I scrounge around for some missing parts. Unfortunately, the PO had trouble finding the needed parts and just jury rigged it. The parts that are missing are somewhat hard to come by. Pragmatically, I should just keep it for needed parts.

In your case, if you scrounge you could probably find the missing parts...or maybe even yet another saw for donor parts....and so it goes 'round & 'round.:dizzy: I guess if the 2050 is your 'missing link', then go for it.:rock: There are only three Jonny saws that interest me; 80, 90 & 111S...but that's just me.:msp_razz:

Kevin

OK in some weird way, I brought this on myself. Awhile back I bought a complete piston/rings/wrist pin for a 90-NOS from the bay. I took a hasty look at it and then put it in the Jonny box. Today I was hunting a set of NOS rings down that I bought for the 80. Found them and decided to look at the 90 piston I bought. Lower ring is broken, although everything looks completely NOS. I probably should match a new set of rings, rather than just replace only one. Where can I get a really nice quality set for an OE piston?

Kevin

Those are just standard 54mm x 1.5mm rings (at least both the 90 pistons I've had in my hands are), common on Stihls and Huskys. Not at all hard to find. Some sponsors here should be able to get a good set.

Chris B.

Those are just standard 54mm x 1.5mm rings (at least both the 90 pistons I've had in my hands are), common on Stihls and Huskys. Not at all hard to find. Some sponsors here should be able to get a good set.

Chris B.

Thanks Chris...when you say sponsors are you talking like Bailey's....who calls my saws "antiques"?

Kevin

Husky Cross Reference help

Good Morning Gentlemen,

I am working an a Husky 288.
I might have asked this question already. :dizzy::dizzy:

What Jonsered models cross over?
So I can broaden my search.

I think it would be cool to have a frankensaw.

The hardest part to find so far is a Clutch cover..

Thanks for any and all info!

Good Morning Gentlemen,

I am working an a Husky 288.
I might have asked this question already. :dizzy::dizzy:

What Jonsered models cross over?
So I can broaden my search.

I think it would be cool to have a frankensaw.

The hardest part to find so far is a Clutch cover..

Thanks for any and all info!

There was no Jonsered version of the 288XP as far as I know.

Ported 2171 embarrasses 660. Dad picked the 660 up mainly to show me who is boss in the woods but shortly after Johnny Red had other plans, promptly sold the saw.. said it was overkill for his needs.

View attachment 312194

Latest posts

Back