Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old is new

OK in some weird way, I brought this on myself. Awhile back I bought a complete piston/rings/wrist pin for a 90-NOS from the bay. I took a hasty look at it and then put it in the Jonny box. Today I was hunting a set of NOS rings down that I bought for the 80. Found them and decided to look at the 90 piston I bought. Lower ring is broken, although everything looks completely NOS. I probably should match a new set of rings, rather than just replace only one. Where can I get a really nice quality set for an OE piston?

Kevin

Well there is a silver lining to this story. I took a chance that somebody on fleabay is honest.;) I wrote the seller that my error was not looking at the purchase more closely when it arrived and that it was their error they sent a NOS piston & rings with a cracked bottom ring. She agreed and offered some money back. I told her I really wanted the ring and it wasn't about the money. Apparently, she sells stuff that her husband finds @work. He works for a dealership that used to carry Jonsered and still had some old parts laying around. The husband said he would look through the shop. I figured it was a lost cause and I would be offered the price of a new ring. Well...he found a NOS 90 ring!! Sometimes, it pays to keep your head and use a little sugar, rather than vinegar....:D

First time on Jonsered sticky, can you guys tell me a little about what i have here? looks like the saw was modified to except the bow and to me the chain look kinda small riding in the groove of the bow. the # on the bow is $58801 View attachment 312632View attachment 312633View attachment 312634

is it a .325 chain on it? that seems to make sense based on the saw having a factory .325 sprocket. The bar might be designed for a 3/8 but they put a .325 of the same gauge on there to mate with the drive sprocket

Last edited:
is it a .325 chain on it? that seems to make sense based on the saw having a factory .325 sprocket. The bar might be designed for a 3/8 but they put a .325 of the same gauge on there to mate with the drive sprocket

That makes sense, it is riding very deep in the groove to me. I would like to know what saws model the bar was intended for.

thanks

I only have 2 Jonsered chainsaws, a 670 and a 2094. I don`t use either one but they both run excellent, the 2094 has very low hours on it, the 670 has a new P&C with high compression and cuts real nice in 16-20 hardwood.
Pioneerguy600

IMG_3143.JPG

url].

I bet that 670 pulls like a sled-dog!
NICE!

630 West Coast

Here's my 630 West Coast. Just inherited it from my dad which makes it special. No mods except the chain brake is removed. Running 20 in Oregon bar that is older than dirt... I have heard these are capable of pulling up to a 32 in bar, it's got HP but I am skeptical.... May need a new sprocket soon if anyone has one send me a private message!!

Thanks guys....

Here's my 630 West Coast. Just inherited it from my dad which makes it special. No mods except the chain brake is removed. Running 20 in Oregon bar that is older than dirt... I have heard these are capable of pulling up to a 32 in bar, it's got HP but I am skeptical.... May need a new sprocket soon if anyone has one send me a private message!!

Thanks guys....

Maybe ported with a modified muffler, but no, not a 32" bar on this saw, stock. I run a 32" on my Jonny 80 and that's it...more than that and it's the Law of Diminishing Returns. At least all day in the woods fallin' and bucking.

Kevin

Maybe ported with a modified muffler, but no, not a 32" bar on this saw, stock. I run a 32" on my Jonny 80 and that's it...more than that and it's the Law of Diminishing Returns. At least all day in the woods fallin' and bucking.

Kevin

Yeah my 630 West Coast came with a 24" full skip chain......cuts good but not wicked fast....been meaning to try a full comp chisel... not had time yet....think it will pull it fine but that's about it......I would not go any bigger/longer.....need more cc's for that..it may pull a 32" with full skip....but would be using every ounce of power it makes...just MHO.....

Yeah my 630 West Coast came with a 24" full skip chain......cuts good but not wicked fast....been meaning to try a full comp chisel... not had time yet....think it will pull it fine but that's about it......I would not go any bigger/longer.....need more cc's for that..it may pull a 32" with full skip....but would be using every ounce of power it makes...just MHO.....

I only run skip-tooth chisel on all my saws....but then I have the cc's and I'm not cutting cord wood. Full comp is hella fast & efficient when just making firewood. That's where the smaller, high revving saws really shine.... 32" bar on my 80 is really pushing it, I feel.....but it works with the right gauge.

Kevin

If by "modifyable" you mean can it be turned into a chainsaw?.....then yes.....the MK 70 is one of the few cutoff saws that didn't change a lot of important stuff to become a cut off saw......at a glance you would need an oil pump (IPL says the adjuster is there), chain catcher, top handle, clutch cover....not sure on the clutch...the Mk has 4 shoe, 70E a three shoe and don't know if a standard drum will work with that or not. Also the carb carries a different # from the 70E carb. This may be a lower revving unit. Cases, rear handle, P&C and crankshaft are the same as the 70E.......plus you would end up with a "way ahead of it's time" High Top air filter system!! Just so happens I might also know where to lay hands on a NOS inner and outer set of pleated air filters......heheheheh.........

If by "modifyable" you mean can it be turned into a chainsaw?.....then yes.....the MK 70 is one of the few cutoff saws that didn't change a lot of important stuff to become a cut off saw......at a glance you would need an oil pump (IPL says the adjuster is there), chain catcher, top handle, clutch cover....not sure on the clutch...the Mk has 4 shoe, 70E a three shoe and don't know if a standard drum will work with that or not. Also the carb carries a different # from the 70E carb. This may be a lower revving unit. Cases, rear handle, P&C and crankshaft are the same as the 70E.......plus you would end up with a "way ahead of it's time" High Top air filter system!! Just so happens I might also know where to lay hands on a NOS inner and outer set of pleated air filters......heheheheh.........

Thank you so much for the information. I was hoping that may be all. I have sold all my 70 E and 66's and would like to play around with one again. Will see how the auction goes. Ted

Thank you so much for the information. I was hoping that may be all. I have sold all my 70 E and 66's and would like to play around with one again. Will see how the auction goes. Ted

Of course there will be a few small parts needed as well....like chain adjuster and chain plates and clutch cover nutz and, and, and, that I didn't cover,but the basic unit is the 70E....the IPL I have shows the early style ign with the plastic fan...don't know if the MK changed ign setups right along with the 70E or not. Price is not to bad right now....but you know how quick that can change in the last secs with Ebay!!! If I hadn't got married less than a week ago I'd be tempted...but $$$ are thin right now...good luck!!

There was a guy awhile back on fleabay that had a 80 cut-off saw in parts listed. Actually, it seemed like forever. I don't think he had the goldmine that he thought he did. So it was just the parts that would cross with a chainsaw...never had the actual cut-off saw listed. Good luck with the auction!:rock:

Kevin

Well.....I stayed up and watched that auction right to the end.......typical bidding war right to the last...sold for $220 plus $33 shipping.....crazy high for a unit you can't buy anything but a sparkplug and pull cord for!!! The winner only had 4 transactions and fought all the way to the end....this may well be relisted due to non payment....I didn't delete it from "my favorites" yet....seen this happen before...to me once on a NOS 70E cyl......picked it up the next time around....LOL!!!

Well.....I stayed up and watched that auction right to the end.......typical bidding war right to the last...sold for $220 plus $33 shipping.....crazy high for a unit you can't buy anything but a sparkplug and pull cord for!!! The winner only had 4 transactions and fought all the way to the end....this may well be relisted due to non payment....I didn't delete it from "my favorites" yet....seen this happen before...to me once on a NOS 70E cyl......picked it up the next time around....LOL!!!

I had meant to be around to watch at the end. But ended up running errands and was not available. I thought it would be ok for 125.00 or so. Anyway it saved me a bit of money. Maybe talking about it here drove the price a bit?

I had meant to be around to watch at the end. But ended up running errands and was not available. I thought it would be ok for 125.00 or so. Anyway it saved me a bit of money. Maybe talking about it here drove the price a bit?

There are still a lot of old Jonny saws in garages/tool sheds all over the PNW. I shouldn't be so lazy about it and go hunt for them. The prices on ebay should motivate me more.:msp_wink:

Kevin

Jonsered Dealer Now Husky has NO interest,,

The ol' Amish guy, who's been a Jonsered dealer since the early 80's has been carrying the Huskies since the "Big Shake up".

I ask him if he had any interest in the TSC Jonsered warranty work and he said "NO Way" !!
He has had a sign on the wall for several years which reads, "We service what we sell".

He suggested anyone buying from a box store needs to seek service from the box stores, that it would be more headaches for him than the "little" money he would make servicing the TSC Jonnys under warranty, now that he no longer carries them.

:confused:

Latest posts

Back