Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never had a saw with heated handles....I was told however way back in the day, it was the thing to have in snow. We logged until the trees froze...at least the smaller ones, then moved down the mountain to cut old-growth Ponderosa pine....which often ran three to four logs to the load. Easy money and no branches until the second 32'....you could literally run down those logs buckin' and screamin'.:D

Lots of times I could have used those heated wraps in the morning. Is that a fixed heat, or can you shut it off? That would be awful in the summer if you couldn't.:confused2:

Kevin

Yes you can turn them off......some are only one heat setting some have two. The 521EV has two......I find, when it's cold out, I start out at full heat and if you are cutting small/light stuff and not running the saw hard it's fine but if you are doing heavy cutting, say in a pile of tree length hardwood, I have to drop back to the lower setting....gets to hot.....makes sense....the faster/steadier the saw runs the more electricity it generates. Some of the earlier/cheaper versions used exhaust gas run through the handles for heat.......I own none of those.....LOL!!!

Yes you can turn them off......some are only one heat setting some have two. The 521EV has two......I find, when it's cold out, I start out at full heat and if you are cutting small/light stuff and not running the saw hard it's fine but if you are doing heavy cutting, say in a pile of tree length hardwood, I have to drop back to the lower setting....gets to hot.....makes sense....the faster/steadier the saw runs the more electricity it generates. Some of the earlier/cheaper versions used exhaust gas run through the handles for heat.......I own none of those.....LOL!!!

Interesting concept....you wouldn't think those small coils/mags could generate that much extra current....I'd love to see how they did all that inside. I wonder if anybody ever made kits to adapt to other saws.....

Kevin

Interesting concept....you wouldn't think those small coils/mags could generate that much extra current....I'd love to see how they did all that inside. I wonder if anybody ever made kits to adapt to other saws.....

Kevin

Very simple setup.....a stator mounts to the case under the flywheel...the magnets in the flywheel for the ign are also the ones that excite the coils in the stator...producing the current which is delivered to resistance heaters in the handles via wires and a switch.....the 521 (metal rear handle)has an element that looks much like an element in a toaster oven (but shouldn't glow!!) whereas on the 630V, the black patches on either side of the rear handle (plastic handle/gas tank) are the heaters and have tiny elements/wires cast right in to the plastic. There are no controllers or other circuitry involved the faster/steadier the flywheel spins, the more juice, the more heat....

Very simple setup.....a stator mounts to the case under the flywheel...the magnets in the flywheel for the ign are also the ones that excite the coils in the stator...producing the current which is delivered to resistance heaters in the handles via wires and a switch.....the 521 (metal rear handle)has an element that looks much like an element in a toaster oven (but shouldn't glow!!) whereas on the 630V, the black patches on either side of the rear handle (plastic handle/gas tank) are the heaters and have tiny elements/wires cast right in to the plastic. There are no controllers or other circuitry involved the faster/steadier the flywheel spins, the more juice, the more heat....

OK then so with a separate stator/coils, robbed from the ignition flywheel mags. Makes sense, the more RPM, the more heat. So is there a separate switch that grounds out/stops the heat? Are the heating elements typically just in the handle and not in the wrap? And is there such a thing as a full wrap handle that's heated....beside the metal rear handle?

Kevin

OK then so with a separate stator/coils, robbed from the ignition flywheel mags. Makes sense, the more RPM, the more heat. So is there a separate switch that grounds out/stops the heat? Are the heating elements typically just in the handle and not in the wrap? And is there such a thing as a full wrap handle that's heated....beside the metal rear handle?

Kevin

I think the switch just creates an "open" in the circuit.....but not positive exactly how that works...yes both handles are heated and controlled through one switch. I have never seen a heated full wrap on a Jonsereds, however that doesn't mean you couldn't get them heated...full wraps are not all that common here in the northeast..

I think the switch just creates an "open" in the circuit.....but not positive exactly how that works...yes both handles are heated and controlled through one switch. I have never seen a heated full wrap on a Jonsereds, however that doesn't mean you couldn't get them heated...full wraps are not all that common here in the northeast..

Where did Jonny generally put the switch...anywhere near the ign switch? Yeah, I'm disappointed if I don't see a full wrap on a 80+cc saw around here. My 90 came from Arkansas and has no full wrap-hate that. They only matter for fallin', but that's what I need them for.:msp_razz:

Kevin

off subject Jonsered 535 that can be had for 40.00 to 50.00 dollars if anyone wants.

anyone want this saw for 80.00 Shipped?
I know the seller and got it running for him. the coil may be intermittant or going out.
Chain Saw! (now running!)

CL portland clark/cowlitz all for sale / wanted tools - by owner
Reply [email protected] [?] flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of Posted: 2013-09-08, 7:51PM PDT
Chain Saw! (now running!) - $80 (Battle Ground)

image 1image 2image 3
This is a Jonsered with an 18inch bar. For some reason it stopped running for a while, and now it is working fine. I'm not sure if it was flooded for several days, or the coil is starting to go bad. If that is the case a new coil is like $20-$25.

I am asking $80 (pretty firm).. because it is a good saw. And with a little work, it will be a great saw.

Runs and cuts fine.

Call Devan (310) 429-516zero

thanks

You can PM me or call 360-213-8777 or text if interested. should be able to get it with shipping included for about 70.00. Paypal or whatever excepted. could be trade fodder as well. The saw is complete. medium hour saw

I personally am not impressed with this model saw but it could be someone else's treasure............View attachment 313767View attachment 313768

Ted

Last edited:
Thanks Chris...glad you appreciate them. I 've got a couple more coming up this winter if time allows a 910E build from scratch with NOS cases, P&C, AV mounts, Ign and a few other NOS parts with the rest excellent used parts. A 521V..same thing..NOS cases P&C, Ign and a few more NOS parts with the rest excellent used parts. A 451 EV mostly just a rebuild of a very nice example of these fast little guys with heated handles. A 630V that gets new mains, seals gaskets and a newer used cyl with a meteor piston...real nice 1 owner saw...again heated handles.....all going to look real sharp with no repainting needed. All have heated handles except the 910E......who knows..... maybe by the time I get ready I may have found a 910EV donor saw for the heated handles set up too!!! Hint Hint... Nudge Nudge ...anyone??LOLOL!!!

I hear ya.... i have a complete 910E with no spark (go figure):bang: sorry no heated handles however. Finding parts for these is ridiculous..:(

I hear ya.... i have a complete 910E with no spark (go figure):bang: sorry no heated handles however. Finding parts for these is ridiculous..:(

Ah....to bad, sure would like to find a toasted 910EV......However here is a bit of trivia that may help you....the 451E/EV had three different igns......one was the same as the 910E with the spark coil right at the spark plug........I think the wires need to be lengthened to fit on the 910 but the modules and the coils are the same.....this increases your search area...but again there are three different igns on the 451 so make sure it's the right one before you buy a parts saw.

Never had a saw with heated handles....I was told however way back in the day, it was the thing to have in snow. We logged until the trees froze...at least the smaller ones, then moved down the mountain to cut old-growth Ponderosa pine....which often ran three to four logs to the load. Easy money and no branches until the second 32'....you could literally run down those logs buckin' and screamin'.:D

Lots of times I could have used those heated wraps in the morning. Is that a fixed heat, or can you shut it off? That would be awful in the summer if you couldn't.:confused2:

Kevin

You can turn the heating on and off as you please. :msp_smile:

Cantdog already said that...I was curious were the switch location usually was and what it looked like.

Kevin

Sorry...the location and switch type is different on different saws...for instance on the 451EV and 521EV it is a toggle switch located on the lefthand side of the saw just aft of the carb adjustment screws and just above the gas cap.......on the 630V it is a rocker switch located to the left side of the trigger handle just under the sliding "kill" switch...

You are now ranked very high on the "suck-o-meter" Chris. That is a sweet looking saw. I have almost all the parts to build a 670, but need to find the time. Until then, it just sits there all sad and broken.:msp_sad:

Is it as nice as this beauty I just picked up?

Chris B.

You are now ranked very high on the "suck-o-meter" Chris. That is a sweet looking saw. I have almost all the parts to build a 670, but need to find the time. Until then, it just sits there all sad and broken.:msp_sad:

I took my other 670 Champ over to Mark's. After I swapped the ring for a Caber and the clips for OEM, we put it to some wood. To paraphrase: 'Now I have to find one of these!." 670 Champs are one of the first saws I ever ran. My buddy bought one new back in 2003, and it was pretty nice. Of course, I know more now than I did then.

Chris B.

Any help on the value of a Jonsered 670 Champ in nice running condition?
they are asking $80
Planning to pass it along either here or Ebay as I think I have all the working saws I need.
Dave

I have sold running 670's for 250 to 300 3 times. I try not to pay more than 150.00 unless extremely nice like the pictures above. That is my favorite saw of that class from Husqvarna-Jonsered.
Ted

Latest posts

Back