Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took my other 670 Champ over to Mark's. After I swapped the ring for a Caber and the clips for OEM, we put it to some wood. To paraphrase: 'Now I have to find one of these!." 670 Champs are one of the first saws I ever ran. My buddy bought one new back in 2003, and it was pretty nice. Of course, I know more now than I did then.

Chris B.

It must have been on the shelf a while. They stopped producing them in 1997.

Just to help keep the place alive. My other Jonsey set. The 630 Super I just redid today with a new piston, ring, and seals. It has quite a unique exhaust note compared to the straight 630.

Does anybody know the true difference between the 630 and 630 Super? The IPL I have shows the decals for both. Being Electrolux, the IPLs suck, generally speaking.

Chris B.

Just to help keep the place alive. My other Jonsey set. The 630 Super I just redid today with a new piston, ring, and seals. It has quite a unique exhaust note compared to the straight 630.

Does anybody know the true difference between the 630 and 630 Super? The IPL I have shows the decals for both. Being Electrolux, the IPLs suck, generally speaking.

Chris B.

Are the mufflers the same? If so............then I'd bet that the port timing (and/or sizes/shapes) is different between the two. With the big yeller saws, I've noticed a distinct difference between the exhaust note (both tone and volume) of a Super 250 vs a 300 or 650 (which are 87cc Macs with the same bore/stroke as the S-250, but with different porting.......for those that don't know yeller saws). That's with the same mufflers (HD 'hose clamp' type cans) and carburetors (Tillotson HL63's).

Are the mufflers the same? If so............then I'd bet that the port timing (and/or sizes/shapes) is different between the two. With the big yeller saws, I've noticed a distinct difference between the exhaust note (both tone and volume) of a Super 250 vs a 300 or 650 (which are 87cc Macs with the same bore/stroke as the S-250, but with different porting.......for those that don't know yeller saws). That's with the same mufflers (HD 'hose clamp' type cans) and carburetors (Tillotson HL63's).

I get all that Aaron (am I'm familiar with differences and similarities of old Macs). The mufflers are different but I don't think either is particularly restricted. The Super is noticeably more powerful. Don't have enough run time to figure how it stacks up to the Champ. What I was getting at with my question is what differences were advertised? How did Jonsered say they were different? Seems to be alot of overlap. Different models released that weren't very different.

BTW, my Super 250 still rocks the flatback and it'll get up and go. No reason to swap a Tilly in.

Chris B.

Chris B.

The biggest differences I know of are the regular 630 were nearly all two thin rings and had the 118 tilly carb...the Super had a bigger carb.... 224 or 225 I think.... and later Supers a 1.5MM single ring piston.....the West Coast versions besides having a V stack and K&N filter also had a thinner cyl base gasket part # 501 51 22 02......then there are the Super IIs and many more changes there....

I have long suspected Aaron is a computer, and not a person, because of his vast knowledge of many different chainsaws. And now I have proof. He made a mistake, because he contracted the virus from AS. The S250 uses a 1.5 stroke crank, the 300 a 1.375" stroke. The only reason I know this is because I pulled apart a 300 Saturday and checked Acres to see if I should keep the crank. The 650 is a 1.5" crank, and I didn't know that, so thank you. :msp_biggrin:

Jonsereds model number 1519286

I bought a jonsersds saw that I think is a model 70. I has a plastic flywheel fan that has disintegrated. Can I get a metal flywheel that will fit? The number on the saw is 1519286, thanks for any info on the saw.

I bought a jonsersds saw that I think is a model 70. I has a plastic flywheel fan that has disintegrated. Can I get a metal flywheel that will fit? The number on the saw is 1519286, thanks for any info on the saw.

No, the metal flywheel ign requires a different coil and cyl to mount the coil to and also a trigger to fire the coil.....I have heard that an Atom points elimination module (or similar) will work for the trigger, but have not tried it yet. Also you will need a special recoil cover without the lugs ( or grind your off) in order to mount the metal fan coil set up....metal fan coil mounts on the cyl like a 49sp.....sorry...

Howdy, Buds. I recently came in to a 2165 and am about to do some porting and mod work to it. I was wondering, will the 2172 top cover before they remodelled it recently, would it fit it so that I wouldn't have to unscrew the top every time I needed to get into it?

Latest addition. Just got it today. IMG_20131012_145438_977.jpg
Dealer only got one and isn't sure when they will see another.

too busy beautifying those old Pioneers to use the Jreds no doubt...:Eye:

Speaking of beautiful PES+ once sent me a link or pics to a picture perfect 70E that someone called "cowpoke" had restored (looked new) maybe someone can post them on this thread (I lost the link)...

That 670 is georgeous

I sure love this low hr 90 I scored from Arkansas. Due to the stale gas (actually thick varnish) and some stripped threads, I'm sure the seller thought he had pulled a fast one. It's his loss, because the saw is running better than anything else I have. As soon as the season slows, I'm sending all my mufflers off to be modified. This 90 is a ripping whore to be sure.:tongue2: Nice not to always have to depend on the Husky 2100 for everything. And the 80 is still used for all the smaller stuff. Jonny's rock!:rock:

Kevin

I sure love this low hr 90 I scored from Arkansas. Due to the stale gas (actually thick varnish) and some stripped threads, I'm sure the seller thought he had pulled a fast one. It's his loss, because the saw is running better than anything else I have. As soon as the season slows, I'm sending all my mufflers off to be modified. This 90 is a ripping whore to be sure.:tongue2: Nice not to always have to depend on the Husky 2100 for everything. And the 80 is still used for all the smaller stuff. Jonny's rock!:rock:

Kevin

Sounds very good ! LOL

The biggest differences I know of are the regular 630 were nearly all two thin rings and had the 118 tilly carb...the Super had a bigger carb.... 224 or 225 I think.... and later Supers a 1.5MM single ring piston.....the West Coast versions besides having a V stack and K&N filter also had a thinner cyl base gasket part # 501 51 22 02......then there are the Super IIs and many more changes there....

NICE collection. The West Coast is the hot-rod of the family, as I understand.

Back