Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hm ok. So this 630 is either an 83 or 86 and the 625 is an 89.

I've inquired about a couple 266 carcasses for sale on the forum, having trouble getting prices. Might give it a shot if I can find a good top end. I figure it would basically make it a 670. If it doesn't work out, I can always swap back to the original p&c.

IMG_20180628_172840.jpg IMG_20180628_172834.jpg

I may have to order one just to satisfy my curiosity, as I'm intrigued by the "big bore" after market 266 kits. Same bore as a 272, but supposedly plug and play for the 266. I had thought that the 266 and 272 had different intakes and something about the spark plug angle. The question would be: is it a bored out 266 p&c or just a 272 p&c in a box that says 266 big bore. I'm leaning toward the latter.

I have a 625 J red that I installed a 2 ring 630 windowed piston in,And in my opinion it runs just as good as a 266 or a 630. :)

Hm ok. So this 630 is either an 83 or 86 and the 625 is an 89.

I've inquired about a couple 266 carcasses for sale on the forum, having trouble getting prices. Might give it a shot if I can find a good top end. I figure it would basically make it a 670. If it doesn't work out, I can always swap back to the original p&c.

View attachment 660287 View attachment 660288

Well...yes and no.....an OEM 266 P&C would not make it a 670 though the same bore and stroke. The 670 cyl is a bit more advanced than the 266...larger transfers and different port timing numbers. The almost exact Husky equivalent would be the Mahle 50ZN 14 which is the 268XP cyl...670 cyl is the Mahle 50 ZN 15 and you would also have to upgrade to the same 268XP intake and carb to expect 670 performance. Don't get me wrong the 266 is a good strong saw motor and way more power than a 61 or 625, just the 268XP and 670 are more advanced.......it wasn't by chance that Jred renamed the 670 Super II "The Champ" as it actually was three yrs running (if I remember right) in the international timber sports compititions...:numberone:

Well...yes and no.....an OEM 266 P&C would not make it a 670 though the same bore and stroke. The 670 cyl is a bit more advanced than the 266...larger transfers and different port timing numbers. The almost exact Husky equivalent would be the Mahle 50ZN 14 which is the 268XP cyl...670 cyl is the Mahle 50 ZN 15 and you would also have to upgrade to the same 268XP intake and carb to expect 670 performance. Don't get me wrong the 266 is a good strong saw motor and way more power than a 61 or 625, just the 268XP and 670 are more advanced.......it wasn't by chance that Jred renamed the 670 Super II "The Champ" as it actually was three yrs running (if I remember right) in the international timber sports compititions...:numberone:

I didn't know there was so much design independence at jred.

Can anyone tell me what difference (if any) there is between a 272xp and a 272 gxp?

I didn't know there was so much design independence at jred.

Can anyone tell me what difference (if any) there is between a 272xp and a 272 gxp?

"G" is Husqvarna for heated handles. Mmmmm, we like heated handles..................

It's funny I say that, It's going to be pushing 100 here over the next few days with oppressive humidity, but I know winter isn't too far off........................

"G" is Husqvarna for heated handles. Mmmmm, we like heated handles..................

It's funny I say that, It's going to be pushing 100 here over the next few days with oppressive humidity, but I know winter isn't too far off........................

I feel your pain. The weather here is killing me. 90-something everyday and there's hardly a square foot of shade in this city. This is my first summer out of the mountains and it's a hard one. I work outside mostly during the week and it makes it hard to get out of the ac on weekends to do hobby stuff. Winter is a longs ways off for me though.

I never thought it got that hot that far north.

Sorry, 451E. Duh! Thanks anyway

Now that's a different story......do know a little about the 451s...have a couple Es and a couple EVs.....great little saw but you have look out buying parts for them as they changed a lot throughout the run......three separate and totally ign systems etc. etc. etc.

I feel your pain. The weather here is killing me. 90-something everyday and there's hardly a square foot of shade in this city. This is my first summer out of the mountains and it's a hard one. I work outside mostly during the week and it makes it hard to get out of the ac on weekends to do hobby stuff. Winter is a longs ways off for me though.

I never thought it got that hot that far north.

Upper 90's and 100 degrees is rare up here. We usually hit 90 a few times each summer. The all time record high in Vermont is 105 and the low is -50. I've seen 101 and -40 here.

On another note, I think I have a couple of 266 carcasses. I will try to check the cylinders sometime this weekend. I'll warn you though, they are rough looking.

Upper 90's and 100 degrees is rare up here. We usually hit 90 a few times each summer. The all time record high in Vermont is 105 and the low is -50. I've seen 101 and -40 here.

On another note, I think I have a couple of 266 carcasses. I will try to check the cylinders sometime this weekend. I'll warn you though, they are rough looking.

It's been about 90 here for 6 weeks or so. Brutal. Not as brutal as 40 below! I couldn't imagine how cold that is. Coldest day I've worked through was 10 and I thought I was going to die. That's a spoiled southerner for you.

The Pistons and cylinders are rough or just the carcasses?

I ended up winning the 920 I was watching on ebay. Here's hoping it isn't a lemon.

The Pistons and cylinders are rough or just the carcasses?

I found the two 266's I have. One didn't have a cylinder or piston. The other one is locked so tight I couldn't get the cylinder to budge, and it looked like someone before me tried as some of the cooling fins were broken. Sorry about that, I should have checked them out before I mentioned them.

Now that's a different story......do know a little about the 451s...have a couple Es and a couple EVs.....great little saw but you have look out buying parts for them as they changed a lot throughout the run......three separate and totally ign systems etc. etc. etc.
Yeah i had to get three carb kits for the tilly. One was cause i was trying to adjust the lever when the pin decided to shift and the pin, lever, spring, and needle decided to fly the friendly skies. Finally found the pin, needle and lever after buying an AM kit to get the parts and found the pin was way too short. Had originally thought my time was too valuable to not buy a kit. Guess it wasnt. Spent couple hours yesterday researching seals and have a set on order. Bought skf 4725 (now 12x20x5 crwas1 R). Got that info from searching old posts. Well see. I was totally impressed when it ran but shut it down when i couldnt tune it. Gutsy little sucker

Yeah i had to get three carb kits for the tilly. One was cause i was trying to adjust the lever when the pin decided to shift and the pin, lever, spring, and needle decided to fly the friendly skies. Finally found the pin, needle and lever after buying an AM kit to get the parts and found the pin was way too short. Had originally thought my time was too valuable to not buy a kit. Guess it wasnt. Spent couple hours yesterday researching seals and have a set on order. Bought skf 4725 (now 12x20x5 crwas1 R). Got that info from searching old posts. Well see. I was totally impressed when it ran but shut it down when i couldnt tune it. Gutsy little sucker

According to Bob (spike60) they were designed by Jonsereds to be a dedicated limbing saw...pro saw all the way...no place to bolt bucking dogs...high revs good handling..

Latest posts

Back