Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this guy uses old files a lot. He is a sales rep that calls on us at work. Does knife making as a hobby. Does some awesome work.

https://www.deyongknives.com/

I have a coffe can full of old files and rasps at the shop I was gonna give him next time he stops in.

Yeah, files were very popular too for a long time.

The thing about forging........commercial blanks are made with modern ovens and unapproachable metallurgy. You’d be lucky to even approach what they do in a home forge. I won’t deny the romance of doing it yourself, but still.

The selection of modern steel blanks is phenomenal......some new steel iteration always seems to be around the corner.

Kevin

Yeah, files were very popular too for a long time.

The thing about forging........commercial blanks are made with modern ovens and unapproachable metallurgy. You’d be lucky to even approach what they do in a home forge. I won’t deny the romance of doing it yourself, but still.

The selection of modern steel blanks is phenomenal......some new steel iteration always seems to be around the corner.

Kevin

Metallurgy has come a long ways. I still like the older carbon steel knives. Simply b cause they are so much easier to sharpen. Couple minutes with a stone now and then and they stay nice and sharp. The newer ones get dull and they are so hard it takes forever to get an edge back on them.

Metallurgy has come a long ways. I still like the older carbon steel knives. Simply b cause they are so much easier to sharpen. Couple minutes with a stone now and then and they stay nice and sharp. The newer ones get dull and they are so hard it takes forever to get an edge back on them.

That’s absolutely true! I have some ‘wonder steel’ knives that I resist using because they are so hard to sharpen. The older Puma steels are about as hard as I can tolerate.

That’s the down side to the newer steels. Half the fun of owning/using knives is being able to put on a decent edge in short order.

I gave my brother a Boker ceramic blade folder once. I figured he’d lose it before it ever got dull.....he did. $100 pocket knife back in the late 80’s. Whole lotta hype too that never caught on.

Actually.....I remembered the rest of the story...lol! TSA took the knife from him and he didn't want to bother sending it to himself. TSA pulled the same crap with me, I stepped out of the line and sent the knife back to myself. TSA puts those knives in lots of 50-500 and sells them on eBay for pennies on the dollar.

Kevin

Nice 910e survivor available on local cl but I need to invest in some tools before more saws can come home. On my maybe someday list.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/grd/d/rush-city-jonsered-910e-chainsaw-rare/6824596465.html

Pretty spendy for CL.....at least around here. MN a good place to find all the old J'reds though because of Tilton's influence.

How can it run better than new??? I know it's an expression, but has little traction in an old saw unless it was completely refurbished with NOS parts AND ported.

Kevin

"runs strong" boils my blood......................

There is a car dealer not too far from me that advertises in weird ways. For example:

"This gorgeous and well maintained Chevy 3500 flatbed is a sight to behold. It has the ever impressive 8 cylinder Turbo Diesel engine. Yes that one. If you were looking for anything else then STOP what you are doing and look at this. The exterior is so clean you will think Cameron Frye owned it and only drove it in his dads living room. The interior looks like Bruce Willis from sixth sense was the owner. So if you are looking for a functional yet impressive truck then bang snap you have found it."

I would have rather they told me if it was 2 or 4 wheel drive, but hey, that's just me.

I've not seen anyone with the courage to say, "Was new once". That's real comedy.....

I think that car dealer, Eric....aspires to be a writer who loves to drop Hollywood names.

Kevin

I couldn't follow it at all. I didn't know the first name and didn't see the other movie. This style of marketing might work if your trying to sell a teenager a VW, but I don't think it works well with the one ton crowd.

I couldn't follow it at all. I didn't know the first name and didn't see the other movie. This style of marketing might work if your trying to sell a teenager a VW, but I don't think it works well with the one ton crowd.

I couldn’t follow it either.... wannabe hipster selling trucks. I’d be embarrassed to say I bought something from that ad.

Kevin

I always say "I'll get to that on some cold winter day". Well, today I got to that 910EV with non-working heated handles. One of the "heaters" in the rear handle had some damage which broke continuity in the circuit. I little jumper wire and my hands are nice and toasty.

910eHandle.JPG P2270017.JPG

Wow....I would have thought the actual heating element would have been more durable than 'ribbon'.

Nice touch....910 with a heated handle!

Kevin

PB has a 910EV too......next to his mint 2171 it's the only saw of his that I truly covert. I have several 910Es...from real nice to well "Experienced" but no 910EVs... Been keeping an eye out and being patient but no luck yet.......I do have a NOS heated full wrap for an 910EV though......complete with the proper clutch side lower AV mount.......so I'm part way there!!! Would love to find a 910EV with a blown P&C.......I have a couple NOS 910 P&C sets with intake boots to use up somewhere.....and I really want a 910EV....hmmm come to think of it....that last batch of NOS parts I picked up had a NOS 910 oil pump in it........and a NOS top cover and air filter cover too....guess I 'm further along that I thought!!

Good job on that repair Eric!! I have several 521Es, a 630V and a couple 451Evs....I loves muh heated handles!!!!

PB has a 910EV too......next to his mint 2171 it's the only saw of his that I truly covert. I have several 910Es...from real nice to well "Experienced" but no 910EVs... Been keeping an eye out and being patient but no luck yet.......I do have a NOS heated full wrap for an 910EV though......complete with the proper clutch side lower AV mount.......so I'm part way there!!! Would love to find a 910EV with a blown P&C.......I have a couple NOS 910 P&C sets with intake boots to use up somewhere.....and I really want a 910EV....hmmm come to think of it....that last batch of NOS parts I picked up had a NOS 910 oil pump in it........and a NOS top cover and air filter cover too....guess I 'm further along that I thought!!

Good job on that repair Eric!! I have several 521Es, a 630V and a couple 451Evs....I loves muh heated handles!!!!

I guess I was expecting to see cable or coils embedded in there....something other than 'ribbon'....lol. I'd like to try just ONE J'reds with a heated handle someday....

Kevin

I guess I was expecting to see cable or coils embedded in there....something other than 'ribbon'....lol. I'd like to try just ONE J'reds with a heated handle someday....

Kevin
The 521 has a loop of like 1/8" wire element that runs around inside the trigger handle......that's pretty stout.....
That was real Jonsereds with a solid metal handle....the 630 has the elements cast into the handle side patches...probably similar to the 910 ones but removable so heated handles and non heated handles work on the same gas tank.

Back