Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not familiar with that model.....but the bearing has a dust/dirt seal between the inner race and the outer. In that install, I see no place for the usual seal itself. Is there another assembly part that goes over that which will accept a seal?

Husky has a hokey system like that where they have the crank seal part on the oiler housing;inner seal and outer O-ring.

Kevin
The only part over that bearing is the pump itself ...I don't see anything on the back side of the pump itself as far as a dust or any other kind of seal .
Ernie

The only part over that bearing is the pump itself ...I don't see anything on the back side of the pump itself as far as a dust or any other kind of seal .
Ernie
I'll just defect to someone that knows this model.
In all saws I deal with, there is some kinda crank seal after the crank bearing. Husky did it with the oiler pump assembly on some saws as I've dealt with.

What does the IPL for the saw show on that side?

Kevin

yes that is correct the seal is replaceable as husqvarna just sell it too. but that is the way it is on that side. I just built a 2188 which is the same

the pdf that you posted wouldnt downoad on my phone but i looked on my 2188 ipl on the clutch page 17 is the worm drive for the oil pump it driven by a notch in the clutch drum

That looks like what is typically just a dirt seal you see on any bearing that has covered sides, i.e., 'sealed'. If those would hold crank gases, there wouldn't be any need for shaft seals.

Normally, those are just rubberized metal pieces that pry out with a sharp point....which allows you to clean and repack a bearing with grease, then snap back in place. If that's truly a seal that's replaceable and fits inside that bearing's outside, I've never seen that before.

Kevin

here is a video of the finished saw that has that same exact bearing with that rubber ring as the sealing ring which is what husqvarna calls it

Here's a pic of an IPL I have on a 2186 which shows a seal on the clutch part #503 26 14-01 side but it's not the case in some saws I guess .
The bearing in my build seems good and not worn so I'm not going to replace it for now ...I plan on doing a p/v test after I have it done .
Thanks
Ernie
KIMG1922.JPG

For a normal seal to work, the crank bearing would have to be pressed in far enough into the case to accept a separate seal. Using a seal on the outside of the crank bearing itself is not something I've seen before. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.....the bearing would have to be thicker to accept a real oil seal on its outside exposure.

I guess if it works, it works.....lol. Maybe Husky got tired of dealing with an inner seal and outer O-ring on their oil pump assembly.

Kevin

here is a picture of the other side of the case with the bearing pused in far enough for the normal type of seal

Attachments

• 20211218_225032.jpg
    20211218_225032.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
i started the process of redoing that saw by ordering a bunch of new parts which included new seals and this is what came20211219_091132.jpg
as you can see one is the normal seal that goes on the flywheel side and the other is the sealing ring that goes into the bearing on the clutch side. it was a special order part because it come preinstalled in a new beari g for that side which is also a husqvarna proprietary bearing that is just a little bit thicker than a standard bearing. the sealing ring is not just a normal dust ring either. its a seal with a spring around the inside and sealing lipz just like the other side but it sits in the bearing

here are some pictures of it

Attachments

• 20211219_091332.jpg
    20211219_091332.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20211219_091246.jpg
    20211219_091246.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20211219_091338.jpg
    20211219_091338.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20211219_091344.jpg
    20211219_091344.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
Here's a pic of an IPL I have on a 2186 which shows a seal on the clutch part #503 26 14-01 side but it's not the case in some saws I guess .
The bearing in my build seems good and not worn so I'm not going to replace it for now ...I plan on doing a p/v test after I have it done .
Thanks
Ernie
View attachment 949445
that picture is the same picture used in other ipls that makes it look like that seal goes on the outside of the bearing like the 338 top handle saws and doesnt show the oil seal for the other side when in fact what its showing is that sealing ring that goes inside the bearing. i know this for sure because i had to wait for the exact parts for weeks this summer while i was rebuilding my saw. i was pissed when what i thought was regular seal was that damn ring then i had a long call with the parts guy who found it finally in the drawing of the crankcase which is where it is not with the crank. trust me that picture is of the rubber ring inside the bearing. look at the drawing of the case halves that is where you will find the other seal

i started the process of redoing that saw by ordering a bunch of new parts which included new seals and this is what cameView attachment 949538
as you can see one is the normal seal that goes on the flywheel side and the other is the sealing ring that goes into the bearing on the clutch side. it was a special order part because it come preinstalled in a new beari g for that side which is also a husqvarna proprietary bearing that is just a little bit thicker than a standard bearing. the sealing ring is not just a normal dust ring either. its a seal with a spring around the inside and sealing lipz just like the other side but it sits in the bearing
Yeah, as I thought, the proprietary bearing with the spring lip seal is different than the standard crank bearing. However, I would hope that you could order just its seal, otherwise you'd have to split the case to replace the bearing. Or, you'd have to buy the bearing and carefully remove the new seal and reinstall on your old bearing. Either way.....I don't think that's a good design for the guy replacing crank seals.

And it would seem like there's a lot of confusion with the IPL in showing all that too.

Kevin

Yeah, as I thought, the proprietary bearing with the spring lip seal is different than the standard crank bearing. However, I would hope that you could order just its seal, otherwise you'd have to split the case to replace the bearing. Or, you'd have to buy the bearing and carefully remove the new seal and reinstall on your old bearing. Either way.....I don't think that's a good design for the guy replacing crank seals.

And it would seem like there's a lot of confusion with the IPL in showing all that too.

Kevin
you can order just the seal. although i dont know how difficult it is to change it out as i havent tried it. when you order a new bearing it comes with one. i have a brand new one that is crunchy and i didnt use i had them send me another one. i could try removing the seal from that one and see how difficult it is to get out and install

Back