Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I've seen that video ..I'll have to give it a try on the 670 when I get to it but for now I have another dilemma.
My 2171 Cutters Edge has the dreaded mag rot in the crank case . I've torn it apart and took a Dremel to the spots with just a wire wheel ..I didn't go crazy grinding anything out.
It doesn't look to bad ...mostly just lite surface rot .
What's your opinion?
I can have the case powder coated but I'll loose the two CE stickers on it or could I just do a paint job myself on the inside where the rot is ?
Thanks
Ernie
However, Randy has some vids where he's using aggressive sandpaper....I'm certainly not on board with that for people that don't do that every day.

Magnesium can sure attract some weird corrosion patterns. I dunno.....it's certainly not a place where it makes any difference. But still, if it was dressed and painted it would look better. I'd have it powder coated or buy the powder-coating kit from Eastwood and give it a shot yourself. Gotta be better than just a rattle can of any sort.

You heat cycle and clean those bad spots and they'd be a candidate for the epoxies we've been talkin' about before you paint.:cheers:

Kevin

That's just down the road from me. I've seen the add and I have the itch, I wish I had the money to itch it.
Offer them $250.....ya never know. Other than finding parts....great saw. I have two but they're not put together yet.

I tell the story often of being given a new 910e one day on a loggin' site I was working. Lots of plastic back in the day and a hefty price. The plastic bias was mine, I got over it. The saw accounted for itself well, but not to the point of racing down the mountain to buy one.

Kevin

Offer them $250.....ya never know. Other than finding parts....great saw. I have two but they're not put together yet.

I tell the story often of being given a new 910e one day on a loggin' site I was working. Lots of plastic back in the day and a hefty price. The plastic bias was mine, I got over it. The saw accounted for itself well, but not to the point of racing down the mountain to buy one.

Kevin
Let's say I offer that and he accepts, would you give me a list of things I should look for that are typical sources of concern when buying a new saw, this one or any for that matter?

Let's say I offer that and he accepts, would you give me a list of things I should look for that are typical sources of concern when buying a new saw, this one or any for that matter?
I could on this saw....and also, if you tire of it, I'll buy it at that price from you.

Look for problems on the trigger handle on this saw....specifically the AV's. If the bar gets stuck, this is one saw you can't reef on the trigger handle....you'll rip the AV's and they're hard/expensive to find. Same on the wrap handle.....make sure all the AV's are OK and none are torn/sloppy.

Recoil inside has a wear disc....if it's worn badly or missing, suspect trouble. The coil from the flywheel has 'soy' insulation and often the bare wires are touching or almost so. Coils are TOUGH to find....although most of them just need their wires reinsulated.

And of course the P&C for transfers. @$250, he probably won't let you take the muffler off, but you could tell a lot if he would.

Look for missing parts....don't be reassured that they're available. Nothing old Jonserd(s) is available except as used or NOS.

This is a popular larger cc collector's saw now and as such, used & NOS parts are disappearing or very expensive to buy.

That particular saw appears to be, I'm betting, low hrs. Certainly not some old clapped-out loggin' example. That doesn't mean it wasn't badly taken care of.....press for its provenance story.

Kevin

I could on this saw....and also, if you tire of it, I'll buy it at that price from you.

Look for problems on the trigger handle on this saw....specifically the AV's. If the bar gets stuck, this is one saw you can't reef on the trigger handle....you'll rip the AV's and they're hard/expensive to find. Same on the wrap handle.....make sure all the AV's are OK and none are torn/sloppy.

Recoil inside has a wear disc....if it's worn badly or missing, suspect trouble. The coil from the flywheel has 'soy' insulation and often the bare wires are touching or almost so. Coils are TOUGH to find....although most of them just need their wires reinsulated.

And of course the P&C for transfers. @$250, he probably won't let you take the muffler off, but you could tell a lot if he would.

Look for missing parts....don't be reassured that they're available. Nothing old Jonserd(s) is available except as used or NOS.

This is a popular larger cc collector's saw now and as such, used & NOS parts are disappearing or very expensive to buy.

That particular saw appears to be, I'm betting, low hrs. Certainly not some old clapped-out loggin' example. That doesn't mean it wasn't badly taken care of.....press for its provenance story.

Kevin
I inquired the guy about the state of the saw. He said it has some scoring, so I asked for compression numbers, he reported 115 psi.

Out of curiosity I wanted to get prices for parts I may need but I can't find any NOS OEM P/C kits. Was this model interchangeable with any Husky models?

I inquired the guy about the state of the saw. He said it has some scoring, so I asked for compression numbers, he reported 115 psi.

Out of curiosity I wanted to get prices for parts I may need but I can't find any NOS OEM P/C kits. Was this model interchangeable with any Husky models?
The 910 didn't interchange with any husky model.. piston/cylinders aren't an easy find for these saws either .
Sometimes you'll get lucky and ones posted on eBay but it's usually NOT cheap !

Ernie

The 910 didn't interchange with any husky model.. piston/cylinders aren't an easy find for these saws either .
Sometimes you'll get lucky and ones posted on eBay but it's usually NOT cheap !

Ernie
I see that, there's a new OEM P+C kit on eBay right now with a missing ring for 225. Little steep. I'm very tempted but I need to restrain myself

No, the 910e was the LAST large cc truly Jonsered(s) saw by the old engineers.....even though Electrolux Group AB owned the old company by then. They let them continue to assemble the saws on the Partner line.....another saw company Electrolux had bought up as well. The 920 was influenced by Partner and the 930/930 Super was influenced by both Partner and Husky(Electrolux owned Husky at that point in time too).

It's possible you might be able to buff the transfers off the cylinder and therefore just have to hunt up a decent used piston.

If you got into the saw for $250 and all you had to hunt up was a piston and rings, you'd be golden. I would assume Caber had the rings...but never had to source them.

Many yrs ago, I bought all the parts for a 910e off ebay from a lady dealer.....except the cases. I never did ask what became of them, as I was only interested in the internals. I mentioned the unobtainium full-wrap AV mount that connects the full-wrap to the clutch side. She found one and threw it in. Some months later I went through all the stuff and one ring was broken. I emailed her and apologized for not looking sooner. She said she'd have her husband look through the old stuff. They found and sent a ring for free. If only most sellers were that honest.......

Kevin

Also of note....... there was a 100cc 910e that was actually made and sent over here to loggers in the PNW. Production numbers and badging to designate it from its smaller, standard brother are unknown. Magnus the Swede knows something about the saw. They had some case casting problems and some saws were sent back. Electrolux killed the saw's production. A 100cc saw based on the standard 910e would have been a 'force of nature'. Bad timing all around; timber scale was getting smaller along with saws in general and Electrolux owning Jonsered(s).

Never seen one in the flesh or even know exactly what it looks like. Rarer than rare because if they were bought by loggers, they would have been thrashed and tossed. I have some theories on what one may have looked like, but only that........

Kevin

I see that, there's a new OEM P+C kit on eBay right now with a missing ring for 225. Little steep. I'm very tempted but I need to restrain myself
Let me look when I get back to the shop this afternoon. I may have a good used P&C I’d part with reasonable. I have a couple NOS sets complete with intake boots but those are pretty dear!

I do have a used OEM matched set of P&C from the same light use saw. With wrist pin bearing and thrust washers. Will need a new set of Caber or OEM rings and use the decomp and wristpin keepers from your 910. All threads for sparkplug, decomp and muffler are in perfect condition. No scoring what so ever on the piston or cyl. Piston is a good fit to the cyl as well. Both "B" size code. Throw the cyl in the bead blaster for a couple minutes and would look just like new.......no bent or broken fins. I'd send along a NOS cyl base gasket as well. Couple pics..,,,,If you're interested shoot me a PM.....

IMG_2216.jpgIMG_2214.jpgIMG_2217.jpgIMG_2219.jpgIMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2223.jpg

Back