Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys picked up a Jonsereds 801 in a trade of some spare quad parts I had laying around. It came with a 32" bar on it.

Couple questions. Is a 32" bar to big for this saw or will it pull it fine, we could really use this bar as our biggest right now is only at 24".

Also the bar is an Oregon bar at 3/8 pitch. Doesn't list the gauge or how many links. We weren't sure what gauge the bar was so my brother went to a Husky shop (without the bar and saw cuz I had it at home and was at work) and they gave him an Oregon chain with 105 links and .058 gauge cuz he wasn't sure of the gauge The old chain was a Stihl which is pretty much gone but it does have a 6 on the bottom guide tooth, does that mean it is a .063 gauge? We had an identical 32" Stihl bar that showed as a .063 and it looked identical to the Oregon so we think it is a .063 gauge. Figured I'd ask someone on here what they thought.

Also we tried to get the chain on and it is to short and when I looked the 32" Oregon chain up it shows it as 105 links with a 7 tooth sprocket, but my saw has a 8 tooth sprocket on it. Are we okay to just get another link added to the chain? Also the Stihl bar showed 105 links for a chain, does how many teeth your saw's sprocket (the one by the clutch) have effect that?

Thanks for any help.

Jake

You should change the sprocket to a 7 tooth if you're running a 32" anyway...that about as big a bar as an 80cc saw would want ...even an old work hoss like 80/81/801 and you can use the extra power better than the extra chain speed. If it won't pull a full comp with the 7 tooth get a semi skip or full skip chain and she'll do fine...

920 Super Bar Length Recommendation?

I recently acquired a 920 Super. It came with a 20 inch bar and safety chain! Why anyone would use that on a big saw is beyond me.

So, I need to get a bar for this saw. Any recommendations? Would like to be at least 30 or more if it will pull it nicely.

Thanks guys for the advice!
Ted

I recently acquired a 920 Super. It came with a 20 inch bar and safety chain! Why anyone would use that on a big saw is beyond me.

So, I need to get a bar for this saw. Any recommendations? Would like to be at least 30 or more if it will pull it nicely.

Ted

I pull a 32" with skip chain with no trouble. YEars back, I bought it from Baileys in a closeout, I think. It is a carlton 3/8 .058. I don't use it much as the 24" feels more balanced, but it is nice to know I have it if I need it. I think it was a D024 mount that I ground the bar slot on to fit the saw (D009 mount). Been about 6 years now, so I am a little foggy on it.

Ted

Yeah, it will pull a 30" bar with skip chain, but it will be a heavy beast. You won't be able to find a new bar that big (I think 24" is max new) that will work without modification. You can find any large mount husky bar (Oregon D009) and grind out the slots a little to make it fit on the bar studs. Many people have done this successfully, but I have not been so lucky. If you are running an 8 pin sprocket, either switch it over to 7 or plan on adding an additional link to the chain.

70e fly wheel

A buddy of mine has a 70e! It has a poly flywheel and a the fins are are all broke off. Is there a magnesium replacement for this?

A buddy of mine has a 70e! It has a poly flywheel and a the fins are are all broke off. Is there a magnesium replacement for this?

No.......well not a direct bolt on without replacing the cyl, spark coil and trigger from a late model 70E...... if you can find all that stuff in working order it's likely already on a running 70E..can be done but is alot of extra work and parts involved.

Just have scrounge around on ebay, old saw shops etc. for a used plastic one..or two.. That's the easiest way.

No.......well not a direct bolt on without replacing the cyl, spark coil and trigger from a late model 70E...... if you can find all that stuff in working order it's likely already on a running 70E..can be done but is alot of extra work and parts involved.

Just have scrounge around on ebay, old saw shops etc. for a used plastic one..or two.. That's the easiest way.

Robin, the 70E that I received a three days ago has the poly flywheel in great condition, & I have a Jred (can't recall which model) where all of the fins are broken off. It's my understanding that they become brittle & will self-destruct (???). Now the stupid question: Is there a way to stabilize them? I have a roll of black Gorilla duct tape :laugh:.

Robin, the 70E that I received a three days ago has the poly flywheel in great condition, & I have a Jred (can't recall which model) where all of the fins are broken off. It's my understanding that they become brittle & will self-destruct (???). Now the stupid question: Is there a way to stabilize them? I have a roll of black Gorilla duct tape :laugh:.

Not that I know of Chris.. If one fin breaks at speed, likely to start a domino effect of destruction. The coil can even be ruined. If the fan is white it's a 66E or 70E...if they are black it is a 52/52E....best insurance is to make sure your intake screen is in good shape...no holes to let in debris...makes sure all wires are secure and in position...and keep the fins clean of buildup of dust/dirt to throw off balance, don't overrev the saw on purpose and hope for the best..

Not that I know of Chris.. If one fin breaks at speed, likely to start a domino effect of destruction. The coil can even be ruined. If the fan is white it's a 66E or 70E...if they are black it is a 52/52E....best insurance is to make sure your intake screen is in good shape...no holes to let in debris...makes sure all wires are secure and in position...and keep the fins clean of buildup of dust/dirt to throw off balance, don't overrev the saw on purpose and hope for the best..

Thank you!

Got this one a few days ago. Obviously well taken care of model 80. Great compression and it started right up out of the box. It'll look good next to my 81.

Chris B.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Did a complete teardown/rebuild on this. Runs great.

attachment.php

Those are great saws, and that one looks nice.

Cleaned out the saw corner in may garage yesterday and posted some 670 parts in the classifieds if anyone can use a crank, fuel tank, ign, or handle bars.

That's a beauty u got there husky dude. Only thing that'd make it better is a Jred total pro series bar. And in my hands. Lol

Latest posts

Back