Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I dont know if I said it in this thread or another , but the casting numbers mean very little in comparing these things.

The casting number is just that, a number for a certain raw casting, how it gets finished is the difference in the companies parts number. Look at the casting number you just posted. Most people would believe that is a 44mm bore when we in fact know a CP 55 and a 590 are both 45mm.

..... .

Absolutely, and it isn't that way only with this "family" of top ends.

Does anyone have pointers on a 49sp?
I'm thinking the seals are shot, drag to stall on throttle up.
Good compression.
Figuring I'm going to have to drop the points to get at the seals.
Gap?
Timing?
I must admit to have never owned a point saw, so any advice as to how to hold my mouth just right would be appreciated.

I could help ya out a bit on the 80/90, but never been into a 49sp. If it's like its bigger cousins, J'red didn't see fit to put any timing marks on the point plate/flywheel and offer instead a roundabout way to figure your correct timing. If you think your crank seals are shot, I'd do a vacuum & pressure test first. Robin for sure can help ya out here with your questions....

Kevin

I could help ya out a bit on the 80/90, but never been into a 49sp. If it's like its bigger cousins, J'red didn't see fit to put any timing marks on the point plate/flywheel and offer instead a roundabout way to figure your correct timing. If you think your crank seals are shot, I'd do a vacuum & pressure test first. Robin for sure can help ya out here with your questions....

Kevin
Thanks, Kevin, And, yep, Vacuum & pressure testing is a must.
Funny, I'm a junior old fart but never have messed with points but for one old 041.
the dawn of the eighties was a good year in Jonser world to not have to mess with points.

Thanks, Kevin, And, yep, Vacuum & pressure testing is a must.
Funny, I'm a junior old fart but never have messed with points but for one old 041.
the dawn of the eighties was a good year in Jonser world to not have to mess with points.

Absolutely agree...the very early J'reds that had electronic ignition were usually great saws. That is until Electrolux Group AB set the cancer in for end of the 'true' J'reds. I sorta have my heart set for a 910E, but am in no particular hurry. The 80/90's I have keep me plenty busy for now.

Hey, what's a "junior old fart" .....I wonder if I still qualify?!

Kevin

Sorry Robin I had no time to look at that 590. Ended up with all 4 wheels and hubs off of my camper. Previous owner must have got carried away with the grease gun on these
EZ lube hubs and pretty much blew out the wheels seals on it. To make matters worse I found a outer race spinning in the hub.

Anyway I'm away from home now and wont be back till next week. I'll have some saws on the bench then and I will get the 590 looked at. Also want to look at some other options for bar studs on this new to me 930 super.

Sorry Robin I had no time to look at that 590. Ended up with all 4 wheels and hubs off of my camper. Previous owner must have got carried away with the grease gun on these
EZ lube hubs and pretty much blew out the wheels seals on it. To make matters worse I found a outer race spinning in the hub.

Anyway I'm away from home now and wont be back till next week. I'll have some saws on the bench then and I will get the 590 looked at. Also want to look at some other options for bar studs on this new to me 930 super.

No worries Mark....old junk will still be here when you return!! Have a good time camping.......I am away starting this Sat for a week or so too.....just finishing up my boat project and heading out to my cabin on the Island for a week or so...

Does anyone have pointers on a 49sp?
I'm thinking the seals are shot, drag to stall on throttle up.
Good compression.
Figuring I'm going to have to drop the points to get at the seals.
Gap?
Timing?
I must admit to have never owned a point saw, so any advice as to how to hold my mouth just right would be appreciated.

Welcome to the 49SP club......sounds more like a carb problem than seals.....but I do the seals in these most every time I work on one.....cheap insurance...can only expect to get 3-40 yrs out of a rubber seal.....

Points are set at 0.016"....make sure they are very clean and the contacts are matched ( square) to one another...timing is a piece of cake...set to full advance...rotate the points plate clockwise as far as it will go.

Absolutely agree...the very early J'reds that had electronic ignition were usually great saws. That is until Electrolux Group AB set the cancer in for end of the 'true' J'reds. I sorta have my heart set for a 910E, but am in no particular hurry. The 80/90's I have keep me plenty busy for now.

Hey, what's a "junior old fart" .....I wonder if I still qualify?!

Kevin
I've actually got a 910 kicking around that I'm probably not going to mess with.
If youi're interested, let me know, mostly complete, last time I checked it spun nicely, and if I recall (it's been in the shed for a decade, the piston looked fine. One with the secondary coil unit right on the plug.

Welcome to the 49SP club......sounds more like a carb problem than seals.....but I do the seals in these most every time I work on one.....cheap insurance...can only expect to get 3-40 yrs out of a rubber seal.....

Points are set at 0.016"....make sure they are very clean and the contacts are matched ( square) to one another...timing is a piece of cake...set to full advance...rotate the points plate clockwise as far as it will go.
Thank you so very much, I figured it would be the classic gap, but best to pester, reckon.

Yep, way cheaper than sucking air.
Out here in NM rubber has a very short life expectancy. The uptick being that only steel rims rust from the dog's bidness.
This old guy bought the saw new and it's his baby, he had the top end done but not the seals so the seals are 40 years old, criminy I reckon the "junior" part of old fart is all but wore out.

I've actually got a 910 kicking around that I'm probably not going to mess with.
If youi're interested, let me know, mostly complete, last time I checked it spun nicely, and if I recall (it's been in the shed for a decade, the piston looked fine. One with the secondary coil unit right on the plug.

I would be very much interested in that saw, especially if it's mostly complete....parts are kind of a beeetch.

Kevin

I would be very much interested in that saw, especially if it's mostly complete....parts are kind of a beeetch.

Kevin
Rightee oh,
Note to self, picture of said saw, turn it, pop the muff.
And blow it off....
Forgive me if I don't have any pics or info for you tomorrow, I've got a hot, sure thing date with a smoking señorita half my age tonight.
PM me, tomorrow, because I'm not going to be with it.
I think much of the plastic is still compatible with the 920's?
If I recall the starter cover is good.

Rightee oh,
Note to self, picture of said saw, turn it, pop the muff.
And blow it off....
Forgive me if I don't have any pics or info for you tomorrow, I've got a hot, sure thing date with a smoking señorita half my age tonight.
PM me, tomorrow, because I'm not going to be with it.
I think much of the plastic is still compatible with the 920's?
If I recall the starter cover is good.

LOL....like I said, I'm in no particular hurry. Have another Husky 2100 to restore and a J'red 90 before I can touch another saw. Don't know what's compatible with the 920...maybe some shared plastic. From the 920 on, the direction of J'red was firmly in the hands of Electrolux Group AB. The 910E being the last of the true J'reds....even though Electrolux Group AB owned J'red, they left the division alone for a few yrs. It was in that time period the 910E/EV came out. I got to log with a 910E for a day in smaller timber(less than 3ft at the buttcut). My 80 kept up with it by comparison, but it's always been a beast for what it is. Still the 910E was somewhat impressive...the first plastic fantastic parts chainsaw I ever used.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back