Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gents,

What crosses from the Husky 1xx series over to a J-Red saw?
If possible I can see a Franken saw in my futurehttp://********.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Gents,

If possible I can see a Franken saw in my future
smile.gif
I'm afraid not much......much better swapping on 2XX Huskys to the 6XX Jonsered........

Thanks gents... I have multiple Husky 1XX series saws, expecting 2 more which will give me 4 total.
One runs great, one not sure about yet and have not seen then last two.

I have never even seen a J-Red saw, so I am starting from total scratch.

Which J-Red would be a good one to look for?
Must have parts availability.

Thanks gents... I have multiple Husky 1XX series saws, expecting 2 more which will give me 4 total.
One runs great, one not sure about yet and have not seen then last two.

I have never even seen a J-Red saw, so I am starting from total scratch.

Which J-Red would be a good one to look for?
Must have parts availability.

Robin(Cantdog) has a very decent list of reliable J'reds in his sig. Some of us like the old silver tops...some like newer. Depends if you're just collecting, or you need a certain size range for the wood you cut.

Kevin

Thanks for the info Real1shepard,

I am looking for a 50 to 60 cc saw, I have large huskys to take care of the bucking/felling.
This saw would be just to fulfill my addiction to saws and somewhat of a change, but not much from Sweden Orange!

Thanks for the info Real1shepard,

I am looking for a 50 to 60 cc saw, I have large huskys to take care of the bucking/felling.
This saw would be just to fulfill my addiction to saws and somewhat of a change, but not much from Sweden Orange!

My addiction to Husky is the 2100. I was still using it when I quit loggin'. I don't even remember how many I bought from Bailey's in my career as a faller. I still don't have anything under 80cc and consider the J'red 80 a 'little' saw. As they say, it's all a matter of perspective. Hope you can find the size you are looking for...Robin is very familiar with the 49sp.

Kevin

J-Red 49SP?
How is this saw to find parts for?

Parts for all the older true Jonsereds are NLA and have been for many years......so for any of those saw you have to scrounge around for stuff...watch ebay like a hawk....and then fight with everyone else who is in the same boat. If you want a Jonsered that you can get parts for fairly easy, in the 60cc range I would suggest a 630 Super or a 630 Super II which is even better. With a little looking you can come up with a good runner for $100-$150........nice handling saws with an 18"....good power to easily run up to a 24" but get a little nose heavy....handle best with and 18" IMHO.......

Man that's the truth....we all become inveterate scroungers. Not so bad except for the boxes of parts and carcasses. But then there's some real satisfaction in making a old J'red run again and run correctly like it should. They ever get that 3D printing spread out more and the prices accessible to all of us, I think that will save a multitude of old machinery.

Kevin

Man that's the truth....we all become inveterate scroungers. Not so bad except for the boxes of parts and carcasses. But then there's some real satisfaction in making a old J'red run again and run correctly like it should. They ever get that 3D printing spread out more and the prices accessible to all of us, I think that will save a multitude of old machinery.

Kevin

I found seals easily enough online, could have gone down to 'Burque to the bearing store, but that'd be more after petrol or fuel.
Truth be told, I'm happy learning these older, pre electrolux saws, and fighting the madness and searching the boxes, over working on a (sits) stihl, anyday.
Besides, they sound cool when you start 'em.

LOL....like I said, I'm in no particular hurry. Have another Husky 2100 to restore and a J'red 90 before I can touch another saw. Don't know what's compatible with the 920...maybe some shared plastic. From the 920 on, the direction of J'red was firmly in the hands of Electrolux Group AB. The 910E being the last of the true J'reds....even though Electrolux Group AB owned J'red, they left the division alone for a few yrs. It was in that time period the 910E/EV came out. I got to log with a 910E for a day in smaller timber(less than 3ft at the buttcut). My 80 kept up with it by comparison, but it's always been a beast for what it is. Still the 910E was somewhat impressive...the first plastic fantastic parts chainsaw I ever used.

Kevin

Yes, but the (Swedish) production of the Jonsereds saws was moved to the Partner factory already in 1979 - the same year as the 910 came out. ;)

The Husky factory started producing Jonsereds models from 1982, and from 1987 all Swedish production of both Jonsered (without the "s" by then) and Partner saws have been located there, regardless who originally designed the models.

Gents,

If possible I can see a Franken saw in my future
smile.gif

Be aware that Husky have made several different "1xx series". ;)

The most obvious exemple of a "frankensaw" candidate is the 162se, that became the Jonsered 630. Far from everything interchange though.

Heh, well, that was fun.
Chasing down all the air leaks in that 49sp.
Especially that phhht!phhhttt! that came from the oiler adjustment screw.
Chucked in an o ring or two and solved that.
Also the manifold to the jug, darn, that's a lot of little screws.
A guess the guy who threw in the jug & slug on that saw didn't think to actually tighten all those.
My large jonser/husqy extractor & sleeves worked nicely.

And it was fun learning the simple, straight forward design of the little rascal.
Now it's holding above 6 for a minute.
I'm happy.

I found seals easily enough online, could have gone down to 'Burque to the bearing store, but that'd be more after petrol or fuel.
Truth be told, I'm happy learning these older, pre electrolux saws, and fighting the madness and searching the boxes, over working on a (sits) stihl, anyday.
Besides, they sound cool when you start 'em.

Yes working on these older saws is like a breath of fresh air compared to the newer saws (especially stihls) Very simple and straight forward......minimal, normal, hand tools required....I actually have more running old Jonsreds than in my sig....since the hack and server change it won't let ne add any more...like my 111S and 910E for instance........even the darn chainsaw site says I have to many........LOL!!!!

Latest posts

Back