Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possibly.

Hint: Check his eBay seller name.

Locally on CL there's a guy trying to sell a Poulan S25DA for $220.00, or trade for bookshelf speakers.

LOL...! Yeah well, however "swift" he might be, I don't think he'll get that price.

Well now, if we're trading bookshelf speakers for chainsaws...I'm IN on that game...I'll even rebuild the foam surrounds.

Kevin

After running the 49 today it's obvious it needs a little carb work. Almost sounded as though the issue could be adjusted past it's rough running. WOT didn't immediately increase the saw RPM.
You had to work the saw up to max rpm with short bursts from the throttle and then if you tried to saw with it. there was no power and it immediately stalled.

I'll get into it more tomorrow. Oh and btw, it doesn't have any bucking teeth . . . . . was that common on these saws when they were new?

After running the 49 today it's obvious it needs a little carb work. Almost sounded as though the issue could be adjusted past it's rough running. WOT didn't immediately increase the saw RPM.
You had to work the saw up to max rpm with short bursts from the throttle and then if you tried to saw with it. there was no power and it immediately stalled.

I'll get into it more tomorrow. Oh and btw, it doesn't have any bucking teeth . . . . . was that common on these saws when they were new?
My 49 didn't come with a dawg either. I bought it a few years ago for $25 CDN and i don't think I did anything to it at all. Runs like a champ that it is.

Two common things can cause what you're describing Dean. One is the points.....I'd pull the flywheel and file and set them as a first matter of business.....after a long period of use the cam follower wears some and then the points don't open at the right time and they don't open far enough to break the spark properly causing a low rev situation, no power and rough running. The other thing to quickly check is the final filter inside the carb. It is a screen located under the top cover, down in a 1/4" diameter hole next to where the fuel comes in......these sometimes become clogged with filter fuzz......not enough fuel = no revs......

A new 49sp would have come with a set of dogs and the screws to attach them....usually not installed by the dealer but in with the owners manual, scrench and grease gun. Many never got installed....do you need some?

A new 49sp would have come with a set of dogs and the screws to attach them....usually not installed by the dealer but in with the owners manual, scrench and grease gun. Many never got installed....do you need some?

Thanks for the tips Robin, I'll let y'all know how I make out. And yes, I do need some, let me know what I owe you. Also, the bar tightening nuts need replaced. One looks original but is rounded off, the other is a nut with a washer behind it. Do you have a couple spares of those?

IMG_1753.jpg

I am looking for a 111/111S muffler to complete my saw. I have lots to trade, including 111 parts, or I can buy it. I can even use a rough muffler that needs repair. Thanks

This was pointed out in the ebay thread but I have a couple observations and questions for the Jonsered disciples.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Motorsage-Jo...153555?hash=item4d3cf4bb93:g:1PIAAOSwwE5WXt-i

Surprised my ebay password let me put it in my watch list. LOL

First it seems put a high value on them even in Deutschland, if I figured it right that would equal $816.

Second, the seller pictured a IPL for a 1020. I have never been able to find one and wondered if anyone had a original copy of one.

Third, looking at the picture of the IPL it list a muffler with a spark screen and its listed as the USA muffler. I'm still understanding the 1020 was never sold in the US, just Europe and Australia. My 1020 came from OZ and has the so called US muffler on it.

Forth, the saw pictured shows a one piece ign coil on it like the Mac PM1000 while mine has the Ignitron 2 piece ign. The coil looks original but the plug boot looks like one from a China replacement coil..

Nice saw that's listed but its obvious its been doll'ed up a bit.

Any info yet on these Robin?

This was pointed out in the ebay thread but I have a couple observations and questions for the Jonsered disciples.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Motorsage-Jo...153555?hash=item4d3cf4bb93:g:1PIAAOSwwE5WXt-i

First it seems put a high value on them even in Deutschland, if I figured it right that would equal $816.

Second, the seller pictured a IPL for a 1020. I have never been able to find one and wondered if anyone had a original copy of one.

Third, looking at the picture of the IPL it list a muffler with a spark screen and its listed as the USA muffler. I'm still understanding the 1020 was never sold in the US, just Europe and Australia. My 1020 came from OZ and has the so called US muffler on it.

Forth, the saw pictured shows a one piece ign coil on it like the Mac PM1000 while mine has the Ignitron 2 piece ign. The coil looks original but the plug boot looks like one from a China replacement coil..

I'll throw my two cents in (and it probably isn't worth that).
1. That price does seem a bit high, but if the right collector with money comes along they might get it.
2. I have never seen an IPL for the 1020 in print or PDF.
3. I'm 99% certain the 1020 was never sold through Tilton (eastern US), but it may have been sold out west. The only thing my brochure proves is that it was sold in Borneo in 1982.
4. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the one piece (Rifa?) and the Ignitron 2 piece be interchanged? And that brings up another point. With reproduction 1020 decals available, I would be cautious when buying one that looked "too" good. When Elux painted Partners red it was considered good business. If you or I paint a Partner red it can be considered fraud.

I'll throw my two cents in (and it probably isn't worth that).

1. That price does seem a bit high, but if the right collector with money comes along they might get it.
2. I have never seen an IPL for the 1020 in print or PDF.
3. I'm 99% certain the 1020 was never sold through Tilton (eastern US), but it may have been sold out west. The only thing my brochure proves is that it was sold in Borneo in 1982.
4. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the one piece (Rifa?) and the Ignitron 2 piece be interchanged? And that brings up another point. With reproduction 1020 decals available, I would be cautious when buying one that looked "too" good. When Elux painted Partners red it was considered good business. If you or I paint a Partner red it can be considered fraud.

I always value your knowledge and appreciate your post's.

#1 I agree
#2 Neither have I but they have to be out there someplace
#3 I really have no proof of anything, just going by what some knowable Europeans have told me.
#4 Rifa is the name that is found on the OEM ign modules on the Ignitron ignitions. Yes the Partner Thyristor and Ignitron ign coil can be replaced with one piece units. I have done that with the midsize saws and the large saws.

The reproduction decals were made at my request as my 1020 came from OZ missing a recoil assy. The choice was either put a yellow recoil on it or take a yellow recoil, paint it red and put it on it. It made me happier to have a red recoil and repo decals on it. The decals that are made are not exact, so its easy to tell if its a fraud or not, but without a NOS decal for a pattern Joe did a pretty good job with them.

So it seems I'm still looking for any documents for these 1020's and if someone stumbles across any I would love to see them.

I'm of no help what-so-ever on these Mark...Sorry, but I've never seen one in person and though I have several full binders of IPLS listing practically everything that Tilton ever sold, I have nothing on the Jonsereds 1020.....

Thanks Robin, that in itself says at least something.

LOL.....wish I had more.......that is a nice looking saw....something like that is worth exactly what someone will pay for it... Short story...an old fella not far from here has a real nice original 1954 Harley Pan Head......rides it once a year just down the road and back. Younger fella who showed up from away with plenty of money bought two brand new Fat Boys when they first came out..1989 I think...only came in silver that year. So the young guy stops at the old guys house on this brand new Fat Boy and wants to buy the Pan....."Not for sale"......."Really???.....how about I trade you this nice brand new Harley Even up?? The old guy squints and looks the Fat Boy over and says....."Can you get anymore of those?" "Oh yeah....got another one at home just like it" the young guy proudly says. "Well" the old fella says..."that's not that good a trade for me, 'cause you see....you can't get these anymore". As far as I know the Pan is still in the garage where it has always been......Rare items most always sell for way more than their actual worth...LOL!!

So I know the 1020 Jonsered was a Partner P100Super at some point, painted J'red colors. This saw in the link looks like the P100(not Super)....at what point in the Electrolux Group AB buyout was this saw prevalent, if only in Europe? Acres says 1975 on the older P100 as start of production. He has no termination date. So who was the originator of the P100 design....Partner or Jonsered(I'm thinking Partner)?

Kevin

So I know the 1020 Jonsered was a Partner P100Super at some point, painted J'red colors. This saw in the link looks like the P100(not Super)....at what point in the Electrolux Group AB buyout was this saw prevalent, if only in Europe? Acres says 1975 on the older P100 as start of production. He has no termination date. So who was the originator of the P100 design....Partner or Jonsered(I'm thinking Partner)?

Kevin

This would have been around the early 80's when this was going on.

Actually the saw in the link I posted would have been a P100 Super as it has the lower handlebar brace and double bucking spikes.

Partner was the originator of the P100 saws, it was descended from the earlier R40 and R440.

I really don't know what all was up with Jonsered at the time this was going on, seems I heard that Jonsered wanted to build a 6 cube saw based on the 920.

What I understand was the brass at Elux wanted no part of the expense in developing that so they painted the P-100 red and told Jonsered here is your new 100cc saw. This I guess is not surprising since Jonsered got some other design features from Partner like the handle bar AV style at this time also.

Might have been good business decisions? I don't know.

Here is a Jonsered lineup from about 82 I guess. Notice the P100 was not the only Partner saw in this lineup at this time. Strange having 3 50cc saws. Jonsered Pro Line.jpg

The story I heard was that even though Electrolux was running the show at the time of the 910E, the J'red engineers were experimenting with a 100cc 910E and that actual prototypes were built. And....some of those prototypes have been spotted still going in Europe today. It was the heads at Electrolux that pulled the plug on the 100cc 910E. After the 910E the 920E was a very much influenced-by-Partner saw. And the 930 a very much influenced-by-Partner/Husky saw.

We don't think it was a good business decision and the 'real' J'reds stopped at the 910E. Some of the trashy 5XX saws were seen in dumpsters on the east coast and nearly ruined the Jonsered name...that was a really poor business decision which most likely involved bean counters and not good engineers. Jonsered really only came back from that with the Husky influence IMO.

In the brochure you posted, you can see the Partner influence in both the handles of the 920E and the 1020. Well like we said, that 1020 is just the Partner P100Super.

You're correct on the linked saw....I only glanced at the first pic. Clearly if I had looked at all the pics I would have seen the latter Super handle bar arrangement.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back