Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can't find one of those, a regular panel grommet works well. They were used on lots of Homelites over the years and you should be able to find one the correct size to suit some Tygon fuel line.

View attachment 495337
+1, that is my backup plan. It's possibly the only part that I can't figure out other than the muffler deflectors which also seem NLA.

Brian

+1, that is my backup plan. It's possibly the only part that I can't figure out other than the muffler deflectors which also seem NLA.

Brian

I found that when you just go to regular neoprene(today's synthetic rubber), gas will affect it adversely over time. You have to use at least viton or better. This makes it tough to find everyday things for chainsaw application. Sometimes though, you have to bunt.....or wait forever for some used part on eBay.

A lot of the guys will try to find some small engine accessory part that will cross-over to chainsaws. For example, you'll most likely never find a tank vent for a Husky 2100...but you can rig up a vent from another application.

Kevin

I found that when you just go to regular neoprene(today's synthetic rubber), gas will affect it adversely over time. You have to use at least viton or better. This makes it tough to find everyday things for chainsaw application. Sometimes though, you have to bunt.....or wait forever for some used part on eBay.

A lot of the guys will try to find some small engine accessory part that will cross-over to chainsaws. For example, you'll most likely never find a tank vent for a Husky 2100...but you can rig up a vent from another application.

Kevin
Exactly, I have a grommet kit from Menards but I don't expect them to last so I was hoping for the real deal.

Brian

Exactly, I have a grommet kit from Menards but I don't expect them to last so I was hoping for the real deal.

Brian

I've found some suppliers for gas rated O-rings, but other parts, nada. There used to be a young guy down at NAPA here that when you asked for gas rated O-rings he would tell you that all O-rings are made from petroleum distillates and therefore were all equally gas resistant. You can't even argue with someone like that....so young, so dumb.

They used to make plumbing roof jacks out of some kinda bullet-proof neoprene. I've used that stuff in a pinch, but it will eventually fail with gas too. Not too many roof jacks get exposed to gasoline...lol.

Kevin

I've found some suppliers for gas rated O-rings, but other parts, nada. There used to be a young guy down at NAPA here that when you asked for gas rated O-rings he would tell you that all O-rings are made from petroleum distillates and therefore were all equally gas resistant. You can't even argue with someone like that....so young, so dumb.

They used to make plumbing roof jacks out of some kinda bullet-proof neoprene. I've used that stuff in a pinch, but it will eventually fail with gas too. Not too many roof jacks get exposed to gasoline...lol.

Kevin
I don't even know what a roof jack is!

Brian

I don't even know what a roof jack is!

Brian

It's a plumbing item that surround the vent pipes that poke through your roof line. When I started in the trades they were all lead...very malleable and worked perfectly.....but, they were LEAD...lol. Then they went to like a galvanized sheet with the cone/collar still lead, swagged/wiped to the galvanized. Then it was all neoprene. I never saw one of those fail, even in the TX sun. Now they are aluminum sheets with fitted neoprene collars. Probably some supply stores still have the all neoprene in their dark recesses somewhere...good quality stuff for anything but gasoline exposure. Heat no problem, shrinkage no problem, moisture no problem, sunlight no problem etc.

Kevin

Does anyone have a parts saw laying around that could part with the top grommet shown in this photo? I need one for my Frankensaw project and have been watching the bay for weeks. It is the grommet the fuel line comes through on husky 162, 266 but same as many Jonnsereds as you all likely know.
dd41a37ea51727d71b2b2113388768a3.jpg

Brian

Personally Brian I've never seen a grommet used on these saws in that hole in the case....the hole is much larger than the fuel line. Not the single line setup or the later double line systems used grommets there to the best of my knowledge. For a time, like 87 or so they used a special fuel line with a built in grommet where it enters the tank but it still simply passed through the hole in the case.....might be why you're having trouble finding one....

If I remember correctly, the 2100 has the bulb grommet built into the fuel line for the tank, but as it passes into the the air box it goes through another grommet. This looks very similar in design. Which wouldn't directly be affected by gas, although it's in close proximity.

Kevin

Most if not all of the grommets made today are Nitrile (BUNA N) so they do pretty well.

What's the diameter of the tank hole?
I will have to measure it tonight. Roughly 3/8 but I will measure it.

Brian

Nitril and Viton would hold up well in this application. The grommets I buy at the farm store here are neither....but then they're stepping over dollars to save pennies, quality-wise. If the merchant is unsure of the composition, or the box says China, you might want to keep looking.

It may not matter in this application, but I'm sure there are Metric size grommets as well, versus US sizes.

Kevin

Here's a nice early 90...........pretty clean....at least the shipping is realistic....LOL!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/jonsereds-90-chainsaw-/281984748924?hash=item41a799cd7c:g:RzEAAOSwgApW-qIO

Too rich for my blood but I'm drooling over it at any rate. I'd love to know the story on it, looks like a shelf queen some dealer decided to hang onto...or like someone else said a saw built from parts. Hell, I've never even seen a picture of a 90 that was that clean!

I may be old fashioned.....but if you're asking that kinda price, the 'story' or provenance is everything. Expect me to bend over, better woo me a little first.....lol!

If you can believe the 'story', there was a Husky 2101 that turned up on ebay that had never had gas & oil in it. Said it was bought and then put in a closet in its own box. I quit watching the auction after $2K......I think it went for over $3K. No doubt a collector with deep pockets.

So it's quite possible that 90 was used once, too much saw and then put away....or sometimes you hear a guy say he bought a big saw for a clearing/milling project and when the project was over, never used the saw again etc. But without a story.....good luck on exorbitant prices. There are a few minor wear marks on the recoil side of the saw....that would suggest it's been slightly used at least.

Kevin

Most if not all of the grommets made today are Nitrile (BUNA N) so they do pretty well.

What's the diameter of the tank hole?
Hole in case is 12mm center hole at 5mm would be nice snug fit on fuel line.

Brian

Did some research Brian.....some 162s and the very early 266s came with these grommets but they were discontinued very quickly in all later saws of this family including all of the 6XX Jonsered....I know for a fact my 1987 61 never had a grommet as I acquired the saw from my next door neighbor having only used two tanks of fuel through it. It does have the fuel line with integral grommet that fits in the tank...this too, was discontinued on all later saws and the tanks sized for regular fuel line. This is a very long lived family with many changes along the way...most were in a positive direction. Unless you have your heart set on using a grommet in the case to assure the saw is "correct" from a collectors standpoint I would not give it any more consideration as Husqvarna eliminated it very quickly as an unnecessary part that only complicated fuel line changes. As I said earlier probably why you don't see them for sale.......like the "Thin Ring" set up......done for a very short time and proved not worth the effort.....due to failures and problems with them sticking ...never see them for sale anywhere either....

Thanks for the info. I agree, the 268 just uses regular fuel line from the tank. The other 2 have the larger hole in the tank and the special fuel line (easy to find) All three had a grommet between case and fuel line I surmised to keep sawdust from being pulled in between the case and line. 2 of the 3 are good to go, I will just make something work for the third.

Brian

Your'e also going to need the case thickness (panel thickness).

That's going to be an odd size and not too easy to find.
I am thinking find a blank 12mm and cut a hole in it or worst case gorilla tape around fuel line.

Brian

Back