Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin, thank you for the warning, and consider it heeded. I am looking only to connect and possibly share some knowledge and parts through those connections. We have no need to capitalize, and no real need to sell, other than to see what my grandfather left behind to good use, as he would have desired it to be.

Perfect! I'm certainly one for keeping this hobby 'fun' and not about the outrageous prices formed by 'flippers'.

When I first joined this forum, most people were not familiar with older Jonsereds saws. The prices on eBay reflected that. But after collectors chummed MAC, Husky and Homelite, it was only logical they'd settle on Jonsereds. They did, although complete lack of factory support gave them some pause. And except for the 110/111/111S they never got the stratospheric prices the other marques got.

I used to buy lots of screws and Jonsereds parts for next to nothing on eBay. Over the long yrs I've watched other forum members make some great scores. That's always been fun for me. Robin scored a lot of those factory military OD green looking boxes with original Jonsereds parts(plus most of the 49sp's available in NA...lol!).....too cool. Scott went over to Europe and scored all kinds of of original stuff/saws along with the wooden cases they came in...very cool. Eric has provided lots of all old promotional stuff from magazines. And so it goes......

This thread has touched on almost every aspect of the old Jonsereds saws over the yrs.....lot of info therein!

Kevin

Geez Brendan, you ought to drive over and stop in sometime and we can share some thoughts. Danny and Joanne are friends of mine and we've talked about all those old goodies sitting over there. ( I'd like to get Danny to trade me his Olymypk 970. LOL ) Al's parts dwarf my pile of stuff. But his pile goes back to 1972. I think E-bay would be the best way to sell them by casting the widest net. Occasionally see some of the old saws come into the shop that the locals are still running. Fair amount of 49SP's still out there; Al sold boatloads of them. I learned a LOT from Alfred over the years. He's still the master in my mind.
Gawd!!!!! He lives!!!!!! LOL!! Nice to see you post Bob!!

I get what you're saying about taking care of the locals first. My mind is always thinking the same way. Problem is that there are only so many of these saws still being used within reasonable driving distance of our shops. I get some calls and visits from being on sites like this, and occasionally get talked into shipping something. (More time for that when we close the store in Dec.) But there again, we will become one more shop that these folks can no longer go to. So, it's really cool that you are going to keep this alive up at the old shop. Anything I can do, don't hesitate to ask.

Most of my old parts have come from 3-4 smaller dealers that we bought out over the years. Have helped some friends in far off places, because this stuff is truly hard to find. I've been pretty stingy though with the 920/930 stuff as they are a favorite chassis of mine. Some of my Jonsered collection was originally sold by Alfred BTW, which is no surprise around here. Even have a couple of the original receipts. One example: last winter I scored a very clean 670V from Jim S. up in Lanesville. Early twin coil saw, and I had my eye on that for a few years. Told Jim if he ever decided to sell it, to let me know.

I guess I'll jump in here with my stories, both positive and negative. As for the negative, I ran into these "collectors". They need a hard to find part for this old saw they just have to get going again, usually with a family history or trying to get it going for a down on their luck friend. Then when you see it on eBay, or another forum classified, it just ticks you off, and makes you skeptical of anyone else that comes along.

On the positive side, there used to be a dealer near me that would call me when he needed something. more common stuff, I'd just sell or trade to him, but one day he needed a plastic flywheel fan for a 70E. I had a couple in my private stash, and wasn't sure what to do, so I asked him who it was for. He told me who it was and it was a guy I knew. He used to deliver grain when I worked on my cousins farm and was just the nicest guy you could know. He had bought the saw new from this dealer and was probably close to 80 at this point and was still putting up his wood with the 70. I said, "if it's for Glen, I have one" and we worked out some trade.

And there are a few people I've met through the forums that have helped me out. Robin sent me a couple of handguards for some 49/52 years ago, and Bob has helped me out several times (I even got a 930 part or two out of him). But I consider these guys friends and no saw is worth losing that.

I will be moving to the UK and have too many saws. Most are older that have been repaired to at least run but not thorough rebuilds. Jonsered 49 sp is a great runner and a 90 that runs but I've never cut with it. I would like to sell them and make a dollar but not looking for a lottery win. Any suggestions?

I will be moving to the UK and have too many saws. Most are older that have been repaired to at least run but not thorough rebuilds. Jonsered 49 sp is a great runner and a 90 that runs but I've never cut with it. I would like to sell them and make a dollar but not looking for a lottery win. Any suggestions?
Sure Lee.....offer them here and see what happens. Figure out what you have to have on each saw. If that doesn't work, you can try the AS classified section.

Or you can go to eBay and give up 12.9% in fees. Ideally, you sell them to homes where they will be appreciated and not just flipped. That's why I say figure out what you have to have on each saw, so you're not horrified when and if they show up on ebay for much more.

Kevin

I guess I'll jump in here with my stories, both positive and negative. As for the negative, I ran into these "collectors". They need a hard to find part for this old saw they just have to get going again, usually with a family history or trying to get it going for a down on their luck friend. Then when you see it on eBay, or another forum classified, it just ticks you off, and makes you skeptical of anyone else that comes along.

On the positive side, there used to be a dealer near me that would call me when he needed something. more common stuff, I'd just sell or trade to him, but one day he needed a plastic flywheel fan for a 70E. I had a couple in my private stash, and wasn't sure what to do, so I asked him who it was for. He told me who it was and it was a guy I knew. He used to deliver grain when I worked on my cousins farm and was just the nicest guy you could know. He had bought the saw new from this dealer and was probably close to 80 at this point and was still putting up his wood with the 70. I said, "if it's for Glen, I have one" and we worked out some trade.

And there are a few people I've met through the forums that have helped me out. Robin sent me a couple of handguards for some 49/52 years ago, and Bob has helped me out several times (I even got a 930 part or two out of him). But I consider these guys friends and no saw is worth losing that.
Part of the fun of this hobby for me, has been sharing information about older Jonsereds saws and helping out by providing parts to someone in need. It's gotta be the best satisfaction to help someone in your area get going again with their old saw. Call it provenance or whatever you want, but you know the people and you know the saw. It doesn't get an better than that.

As an aside, there is a guy on the forum who 3D prints those plastic 70e flywheel fans. He's doing it right and they're holding up.

Yeah the flippers will tell you any story to get a part that they need. The worst of them will buy a complete running saw on eBay, get it, strip off the parts they need.....put broken parts back on it and then notify PayPal that they got a saw with broken parts and/or not as described. Most of the time PayPal will refund their money plus shipping and the innocent seller gets his saw back with broken parts....out the shipping too. People that do that are the lowest of the low, as the seller did nothing wrong.

Kevin

I know all too well the ebay flippers. I had a gentleman give me a sob story on his grandfathers 910 that no longer runs. Needed an ignition. Well I felt bad for him and decided to sell him a nos ignition I had. The coil over plug hard to find ignition. Well....3 or so weeks later there it was on ebay for 180 or whatever it was. Harold Lyndakers hand writing on the tag, same exact one. I was fuming. You know what though, it taught me an expensive lesson. And sadly I could use one now which I would have had. Sucks but it is what it is.

I know all too well the ebay flippers. I had a gentleman give me a sob story on his grandfathers 910 that no longer runs. Needed an ignition. Well I felt bad for him and decided to sell him a nos ignition I had. The coil over plug hard to find ignition. Well....3 or so weeks later there it was on ebay for 180 or whatever it was. Harold Lyndakers hand writing on the tag, same exact one. I was fuming. You know what though, it taught me an expensive lesson. And sadly I could use one now which I would have had. Sucks but it is what it is.
A Niece "Couldn't" keep her dog "Jake" All sorts of excuses. Fast forward 3 months (15 yrs ago) I had GSD puppies And did she ever Turn On the Charm. After several attempts to con me out of a pup I LAID IT OUT "I Know of 3 pups that you couldn't Take care of" one My folks still had. 10 minutes later I Finally told her to "SHUT THE F UP" Haven't spoken to her since and I am OK with that.

I've bought saws from a couple well respected members of the forums, and a few needed assurance that I wouldn't flip them because they were burned. They were very generous with the sale and frankly out of respect and a love of the hobby I wouldn't sell them. I find plenty of saws in scrap yards and junk yards that can go to better homes.

Supposedly, there's a 'mountain' of saws at an old saw dealer about an hr away. They are not internet capable, or want to be. I've stayed away from there because I don't trust myself and I don't need anymore projects.:crazy:

Kevin
I'd have to be chained down not to wanna see what's there !
Ernie

Something similar happened to me with a buddy a few years ago. Gave him an ignition for his 266. No charge, cause I'll share with friends. Puts it in the saw and all is good. A month or so goes by and he asks for another one. Turns out he yanked it out of the saw to help out some guy. I get that he was trying to help someone. I felt that left me in an awkward spot because I gave it to him, not "some guy". Don't know if he charged him for it or not, but I wasn't going to give him another one for free. To avoid any ill will I just said I didn't have another one. I don't know. Maybe the lesson here is that if you are willing to part with something, you really don't have any say over where it goes or what happens to it? In my case, there was no deception involved. But I see how it would be infuriating for some of you guys when you get lied to in order to get you to sell a part.

Back