Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a few random pictures from digging in the archives tonight! In trying to get an older 670 super going I managed to drum up a replacement chain brake band, as well as the service information concerning the improvements made on the later models. The new information led me to find a complete updated clutch cover and chain brake assembly as well. It's a bit of an archeological dig, but fun to dig through the history. View attachment 1001295
View attachment 1001287View attachment 1001288View attachment 1001289View attachment 1001290View attachment 1001291View attachment 1001292
What a treasure trove of Red stuff! It is just exciting to see pics like that!

There was a run of a couple years where Jonsereds coated inside of the oil and fuel tanks with a green/grayish material on over the regular red paint. Over time it failed and wrinkled off generally taking most of the red paint with it. One of those good ideas on paper but not so much in practice.
I tried to get rid of some of that flaky paint by filling the gas tank half full of bb's and spraying some carb cleaner in there, closing the cap, and shaking over and over......and over......... helped but just got loose stuff off.

I tried to get rid of some of that flaky paint by filling the gas tank half full of bb's and spraying some carb cleaner in there, closing the cap, and shaking over and over......and over......... helped but just got loose stuff off.
Red-kote works very well as a sealer. I use an old paint shaker. I clamp the case with the tank fuel of bb's and solvent. Let it shake for 15 or 20 minutes. Than drain it and clean again with acetone a couple time. Than seal with that red-kote. Works very well

Funny thing about 'giving' stuff away....many folks think nothing spent, nothing lost. You gotta charge something or at least barter/trade something.....otherwise it's on you if you get ripped.

I knew I shouldn't have brought up that 'mountain of saws' thing.:crazy: I've been resisting it for a couple of yrs now.....you gotta understand that this place with the 'mountain' is virtually the end of the Earth. And it's hearsay, although I got it from a reliable source that lives somewhat near there. He says he's seen 'the mountain'. I mean who knows.....there may be nothing there but old MAC's and Homelites, which I have no interest in whatsoever.

But I gotta try......right?:D

Kevin

Lacquer thinner and BB's will make quick work of the factory sealer......and of course any paint that's in there. I did that on a J'reds 90, yrs ago and have no issues with any residue.

Kevin

Hello I am new to the forum. My name is Brendan and I live in willow New York, and I have grown up around chainsaws, primarily jonsered. My grandfather Alfred Ostrander was a jred dealer from the very beginning (late 60s?) Till his death in 2019. I'm on the forums to see what kind of interest there is in these old saws, and to seek information and knowledge to keep my saws going, as well as eventually being able to offer up some help to others. In interested to see if anyone on here is from the Catskills area of New York, my family has a long history of logging these hardwoods and that led my grandfather to become a dealer of many chainsaw brands more or less out of necessity. With him gone I am now sitting on a fairly large supply of NLA OEM parts as well as many, many parts saws that he kept over the years. I have new OEM jonsered parts dating back as far as the 621 era, and am interested in connecting with some others who run jreds from this period. I currently have a few running saws that I use for firewood and property maintenance, as well as some very light logging. I am a heavy equipment mechanic by trade and have been very into motorcycles, I'm just now getting into the nitty gritty of saws, and have rebuilt a couple old saws, in doing so have been led to this site and decided to join up.
Keep everything you have and enjoy them
I get contacted often for nla jonsereds parts they be rare now.
I ran 920/930s awhile in the 90s
Great saws
But I'm a Husqvarna 2 series guy since the 80s 266/268/272/181/281/288
Is all I run
I just have a few jonsereds now
I don't part with anything because it can't be easily replaced anymore.IMG_20220712_162733796.jpg
Facebook came through a couple years ago I was the first to respond I got this for very low hour 2165 75.00
Then I put a ported 372 mahle cylinder with a rich "poleman" modified dolmar 7900 carb on it
Very strong saw.IMG_20220712_162424356.jpg

I get what you're saying about taking care of the locals first. My mind is always thinking the same way. Problem is that there are only so many of these saws still being used within reasonable driving distance of our shops. I get some calls and visits from being on sites like this, and occasionally get talked into shipping something. (More time for that when we close the store in Dec.) But there again, we will become one more shop that these folks can no longer go to. So, it's really cool that you are going to keep this alive up at the old shop. Anything I can do, don't hesitate to ask.

Most of my old parts have come from 3-4 smaller dealers that we bought out over the years. Have helped some friends in far off places, because this stuff is truly hard to find. I've been pretty stingy though with the 920/930 stuff as they are a favorite chassis of mine. Some of my Jonsered collection was originally sold by Alfred BTW, which is no surprise around here. Even have a couple of the original receipts. One example: last winter I scored a very clean 670V from Jim S. up in Lanesville. Early twin coil saw, and I had my eye on that for a few years. Told Jim if he ever decided to sell it, to let me know.
You retiring bob?
I stayed away from buying that series 625/630/670 etc.
it would've been too much trouble to keep up with for me.
I still think the twin coil saws run better imho
And I have many stock saws that I can tell the difference.

Anybody have a spare muffler bracket, on/off switch or various parts for a 625ii that aren't beat?
Do you have a pic of the bracket itself, broken or not so I can see what it should look like? I got nothing for switches...only spares are for big Husky's. Come a day when I'll start robbing switches for models I don't use much.:(

Kevin

OK....Sunday I see the guy that told me about 'saw mountain' back in 2017(I didn't realize it has been that long). In any event, I'm going to nail down the instruction on how to find that place.

I'll go over in my car during a work day sometime soon. I'm buying a bunch of 'treasure' from this guy and my truck should be full. Place wouldn't be open Sunday anyway.

Kevin

Well, more letters from 'Saw Mountain'.....

I have directions now and some names. This could be a bust because it was first told to me in 2017...COVID could have changed everything. This will probably happen in August. Either I fix the AC in my car, or I wait for an unusually cool day.

Kevin

Back