Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright I just scored a 13 saw haul of old saws sitting around at a dealership. In it are 2x 49sp, I think a 52, 451ev, and a 621. I've started off with the 49sp's and the 52. One of the 49sp appears to be a parts saw with a missing recoil, I'll swap recoil on and see what's going on with it later. The other 49sp looks mint, has great spark and 190+ psi of compression! It races at idle though, so at first thought air leak, but then noticed operator presence lever doesn't work and throttle trigger doesn't travel as far as other saw. Seems as though it simply isn't returning all the way! Any tips on what that may be would be great.

Also have question on 52. Is this just pro version of 49sp? I've read it's a 2 ring piston and closed port vs 49sp being open with a single ring. Thought performance wise single ring was better. Is the 52 a stronger saw? I recently another 49sp and it was pretty impressive for 49cc.20220913_204512.jpg20220917_164614.jpg20220917_164320.jpg20220917_143948.jpg

Alright I just scored a 13 saw haul of old saws sitting around at a dealership. In it are 2x 49sp, I think a 52, 451ev, and a 621. I've started off with the 49sp's and the 52. One of the 49sp appears to be a parts saw with a missing recoil, I'll swap recoil on and see what's going on with it later. The other 49sp looks mint, has great spark and 190+ psi of compression! It races at idle though, so at first thought air leak, but then noticed operator presence lever doesn't work and throttle trigger doesn't travel as far as other saw. Seems as though it simply isn't returning all the way! Any tips on what that may be would be great.

Also have question on 52. Is this just pro version of 49sp? I've read it's a 2 ring piston and closed port vs 49sp being open with a single ring. Thought performance wise single ring was better. Is the 52 a stronger saw? I recently another 49sp and it was pretty impressive for 49cc.View attachment 1018064View attachment 1018065View attachment 1018066View attachment 1018068

Got a couple of nice Homelites and Macs in there too!

Yep Super xl and 2x Super EZ homeys. Super xl is in beautiful shape with a tag that says fuel stabilized in '08, but it only has 60 psi. So guessing rings are stuck on that one. Also 2x pm700, 7-10, Super 44, and a 10-10a. The black top 10-10a just had a loose plug cap and it's off and running great! The 2 pm700s fire on mix down the carb. 7-10 runs but very erratically.

Yep Super xl and 2x Super EZ homeys. Super xl is in beautiful shape with a tag that says fuel stabilized in '08, but it only has 60 psi. So guessing rings are stuck on that one. Also 2x pm700, 7-10, Super 44, and a 10-10a. The black top 10-10a just had a loose plug cap and it's off and running great! The 2 pm700s fire on mix down the carb. 7-10 runs but very erratically.
Yeah pm700s are one of my favorites to cut with.

Question:
Was the 625,630, or 670 available before the "s" was dropped from Jonsereds, with the old metal hoop flagged chain brake and old style fuel cap that had raised nubs around the circumference rather than the raised bar with scrench slot through the middle- Jonsereds raised lettering on the back of the air box cover- not white Jonsered?

Question:
Was the 625,630, or 670 available before the "s" was dropped from Jonsereds, with the old metal hoop flagged chain brake and old style fuel cap that had raised nubs around the circumference rather than the raised bar with scrench slot through the middle- Jonsereds raised lettering on the back of the air box cover- not white Jonsered?
No......

Also have question on 52. Is this just pro version of 49sp? I've read it's a 2 ring piston and closed port vs 49sp being open with a single ring. Thought performance wise single ring was better. Is the 52 a stronger saw? I recently another 49sp and it was pretty impressive for 49cc.View attachment 1018064View attachment 1018065View attachment 1018066View attachment 1018068
Actualy it's the other way around......the 49SP is a price point (spelled cheaper) version of the 52 family. That said the 49sp was also a shot at modernizing the line up with a single ring piston. This occured at the same time as the 70E came out which also went to one ring. In the 49cc family the 49, I think was a tad zippier than the 52 series but not quite as strong on the torque side, nor as able to stand up to constant comercial abuse as the 52 series with two rings and closed ports. Pretty hard to kill a good 52 series saw working industrially.....49s will burn up long before under the same strain. The entire 52 series was built basically on the same design as the 621 was built on. Damn near bulletproof....

Actualy it's the other way around......the 49SP is a price point (spelled cheaper) version of the 52 family. That said the 49sp was also a shot at modernizing the line up with a single ring piston. This occured at the same time as the 70E came out which also went to one ring. In the 49cc family the 49, I think was a tad zippier than the 52 series but not quite as strong on the torque side, nor as able to stand up to constant comercial abuse as the 52 series with two rings and closed ports. Pretty hard to kill a good 52 series saw working industrially.....49s will burn up long before under the same strain. The entire 52 series was built basically on the same design as the 621 was built on. Damn near bulletproof....
Gotcha, thanks for the info. 49sp I've run before was quite zippy would have been impressed if 52 was more so. I can see how 2 rings and closed ports would make it more durable.

How about the 451ev I got. Those commercial grade or home owner type saw?

Not certain of the “grade” but I had a 451e. It was a great performing 50cc saw and very durable. Sold it to good friend that still uses it with a big smile on his face. I think the 451 was focused to be a limbing saw; a pro specialty saw. The ev version had the heated handle.

Well my 49sp is running mint now. It literally was a stuck throttle lock. It was tagged at the shop as possible air leak. Do techs really not wanna work on old saws that bad?!

This is a clean little saw!
20220918_222633.jpg
Yeah, I'm hoping the 451ev will be easy to get going. I'd love to have a saw with heated handles for mid-winter work in the wood pile!

Okay, so what looks like a 600 series- has the JonseredS on the airbox, old fuel cap, metal brake flag and is not a 600 series?

View attachment 1018172
Yep that's a 600 series for sure. Must be an extreamly early one as they dropped the s on the 1983-84 saw models.....at least here in the states. Actually just checked Acres and they say introduced in 82 so I guess I was wrong.....thought they came out in 84...my bad.....

So this is the supposed 52. Does it look like one? I thought 52 had a round muffler outlet and a silver clutch cover. Maybe that's the way the 52e was....
View attachment 1018209View attachment 1018210
Almost 180 psi isn't too shabby! Fat blue spark too.
View attachment 1018212
Yep 52 or 52E. The 52 would have a points ign...very durable and most parts are shared with a number of other Jonsereds. 52E had the SEM module which is considered much less durable these days as they are extreamly hard to come by. Either way if you have a good spark it's a win!!! High starting compression is a feature of the two ring setup combined with a fairly high domed piston crown. Not that unusual for the 621 and 80/90 to be over 225 lbs

Yep that's a 600 series for sure. Must be an extreamly early one as they dropped the s on the 1983-84 saw models.....at least here in the states. Actually just checked Acres and they say introduced in 82 so I guess I was wrong.....thought they came out in 84...my bad.....

Thats what I was thinking- seen the odd rumour of pre 84 saws available here in NZ, but never seen one until now and dropping $50NZ to secure it.
Have seen some similar that were released in Europe and Canada, heard stories of NZ being a test bed for saws, but never had the proof.........

In the States, '82 was about the time they dropped the 's' from Jonsereds. And even then, depending on the ad lit you were looking at, you might still see it. There really wasn't a definitive 'cutoff' date as such.

Kevin
I have an 83 490 with the s and also a 84 490 without...but that's just that series I can call for sure.

Back