Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep....you're not the first guy to have that problem with the top cover. The 670 Champ (or Super II) came after the case change that allowed the one piece ign. All earier saws of this family, both Husky and Jred, had the two piece ign. The flywheel side case change began with the 268XP in 1987 but Jred didn't catch up until like......1992 or 93. When they changed the case half they also repositioned the front left cover screw. When looking at these saws to figure out what time frame they are from I always look at where that front cover screw is located in relation to the front upper recoil cover screw just below it......the recoils are all the same for early or late but the top cover screw is located forward of the recoil screw on the early models and aft of the recoil screw on the late ones. Of course, if the cover is not on the saw that bit info is not that helpful.

Then you got this crap. I learned the part number of the part I needed for my clutch cover was the same in the 96 IPL and 99 IPL. So I bought the part NOS from 99 IPL but it was to short for my clutch cover from the 96 IPL.

Then when I start comparing you can see it right in the IPL's.

Why they didnt supersede or least change the part numbers blows me away.

j67096.jpgj67099.jpgj670cbb.jpgj670innerneeded.jpg

Well I guess ole 670 champ deserves a good cleaning before all these new nos covers go on.

The extra covers I have can be sold if someone really needs for their project 670 champ.
The clutch cover even has a nos brake band and other new parts in it. Even though inner plastic is for 99 and it needed 96-98 one.

Some NOS 2083 and poulan parts in NOS too.

pnoswgaf.jpgj670noscylc.jpgj670noscyll.jpgj670nosclutchc.jpg

Good thing I gave her a good cleaning while doing the covers and rim replacement.

First time seeing echo oem line split like that.

View attachment 1023961
Yep a lot more heat right there than regular gas line will take......tygone does the same thing as an impulse line........good catch!!!

Ok guys, got one for ya.

Over the summer I was given a Jonsered 625 that a friend found in his dads garage. It was leaking bar oil everywhere so I just kind of forgot about it until recently.

Went to mess with it today and it would lock up at TDC. Pulled the muffler and the insides look like it’s full of gravel and grit. Pull the cylinder and find this. Anyone ever see anything like this before?

Anyway. I figured it might be a good saw to try porting. What would the Husky equivalent to this saw be?

FC05BB8F-9DCF-4DED-9B63-3B60A397B039.jpegBB1168CC-49BD-4C73-B5B9-68A6768DD61D.jpeg

Give it a good cleaning and see how the bearings feel
You might end up splitting it if it dosn't rollover smooth after.
I washed the Mac out with diesel,cleaned the carb and got it running.
I started a thread on this saw. I'm going to split the cases, clean, and rebuild it from the ground up with a 272 upper.

Indeed....give it a super good clean and test for play in the crank/con rod. Wait...you said you're gonna split the cases....my bad.

Almost looks like rock salt in there...:surprised3:

Kevin
Rock salt was my first thought as well. I’ve never split the case on a saw, but I think I am going to on this one just because.

Crank bearings can hold a lot of pitch/sawdust and still be OK if both sides are cleaned out. I'm not sayin' these are, but there's a chance. If you're splitting the cases anyway, I'd replace them both.

Kevin
With how much crud is in that case, I feel like splitting it is the only way to assure its clean. I suppose I could flush it out with diesel and put it back together with the factory jug and see what happens, but I’m still kind of leaning towards just doing a ground up rebuild on it with the 272 jug.

With how much crud is in that case, I feel like splitting it is the only way to assure its clean. I suppose I could flush it out with diesel and put it back together with the factory jug and see what happens, but I’m still kind of leaning towards just doing a ground up rebuild on it with the 272 jug.

A 670 top end will be a much simpler upgrade with results very close to the 272. The 625 and 670 use the same intake style, same impulse system, and same carb connection. The 272, well, doesn't. I'm not saying it's a hard conversion, it just takes a lot more pieces.

Latest posts

Back