Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I used to have a 670 Champ. Strong saw, don't think it was too far behind any 272 I've ever run.

They aren't. The 272 has a little more grunt. The 670 is a little zippier which makes it a better all around saw in my opinion. I've said it 100 times, the 670 is my favorite saw ever.

I did some digging tonight. The only 670 cylinder kits I could find look to be modified 272 cylinders to add the impulse line. They still needed the 272 intake block and carb bolts.

They aren't. The 272 has a little more grunt. The 670 is a little zippier which makes it a better all around saw in my opinion. I've said it 100 times, the 670 is my favorite saw ever.
Yep this discussion has come up frequently when comparing the 268XP to the 272XP. The Mahle 268XP cyl is identical to the 670 except for the intake type and impulse setup. Same over sized transfers etc. General thought is they are hard to tell apart until bar length goes over 24" then the 272XP pulls ahead a bit.
I looked around the usual haunts but found no OEM 670 cyls......I've picked a number of them up from ebay over the years but none to be found right now. Another possibility would be a 630 P&C but you would need the solid intake as well.......easy to continue drilling the impulse corridor on the 625 carb to make it work with the 630 intake and swap top covers from most any Tilly carb or....or....or there's just so many dang ways to go in this family of saws!!!!!
For instance.... Jerry from NS gave me a 670 he put together but when I opened up it was not a 670 at all.....it had a 266XP top end on it....ran great!!!

Good looking 70e, but if you add state tax(if you're unlucky and live in a state like WA) and shipping....not so great a price.

As far as the XB.....very limited niche of people willing to pay that for a museum piece......as Scott would attest to. But if they want it for their collection, they'll do it.

Kevin

Question.

I picked up a parts lot of Jonsered 670s for my project saw build.

There are two sets of cases, a single coil and a twin coil.

I know one was a 670 super and the other was a champ.

Any ideas which one would have been the single coil?

Also, will the 272 top covers fit on the single coil Jonsered cases?

Single coil is the lower one in the photo.

tempImageD3gCwX.jpg

Question.

I picked up a parts lot of Jonsered 670s for my project saw build.

There are two sets of cases, a single coil and a twin coil.

I know one was a 670 super and the other was a champ.

Any ideas which one would have been the single coil?

Also, will the 272 top covers fit on the single coil Jonsered cases?

Single coil is the lower one in the photo.

View attachment 1030640

The single coil case set will be your champ version.

Just got picked up this little guy, 451EV, with the original manual for $50, fully functional and "recently rebuilt" per the seller/original owner Starts right up. Gonna clean it today.

Has anyone got into modding these little guys?

IMG_20221109_065323.jpgIMG_20221109_065348.jpgIMG_20221109_065417.jpgIMG_20221109_065602.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221109_065434.jpg
    IMG_20221109_065434.jpg
    925.8 KB · Views: 0
Johnsered forum stickie participants:

I made a list of "pro saws", though I don't know much about saws. I had help. Please see if you agree with the Jonsered list. I wanted a list of older pro level saws, as well as some new models. As a person purchasing a used saw, I wanted to know which models were intended as pro by the manufacturers. A list like that didn't exist that I knew of, so I made one.

This is the Link to Pro Saws List

Thanks for any input.
Maybe PM to keep the excess banter out of this forum?

Latest posts

Back