Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is pity that we do not have much of older +50cc Jonsereds in Finland.
I think 535 sold quite well since those still are available. That size of saw is quite well suited for 99% of our forest.
Pines just do not grow huge here.

Yeah, I find it remarkable that the older, large cc Swede saws were so well suited for our PNW forests here.....considering as you say, you don't have those large trees over there.

But....I was also loggin' when the Husky 2100 first came out. They sent engineers over here from Sweden with prototype saws, let loggers use them, and gave feedback. I'm not aware of any other company that did that back in the day. That was very progressive.

Kevin

535 has 15“ bar and I tested splitting 1ft long pieces of spruce. It was funny, saw was cutting level with the piece. RPM went 40% down from max rpm but it kept cutting. Sounding like a frog on steroids.

A segment of the chainsaw world thinks those setups are great and power-enhancing. There have been lots of tests run and they really don't, but they are still popular because of the 'cool' factor. It was originally an outgrowth of working in Mt Saint Helens ash here. You decide.

Kevin

Somewhere in AS yrs ago, they took this on in 'maybe' the Husky thread? They did computer flow dynamic testing on this myth with actual chainsaws. The gains, if any were minimal. Not a lot of room for argument there, at least with the Swedish saws.

Coincidentally, some saws lend themselves well to muffler mods, but many don't. Again, there's some 'cool factor' going on there too. Buckin' Billy tends to go with crazy-looking muffler mods, although they are usually made by someone else and given to him.

I'm sure you've probably seen real race 2-cycle motors with those long, crazy-looking mufflers....those do work, but not practical at all in the woods. And your gas mix economy goes right out the window.

Kevin

Yep pretty dirty.....I love the ball of smemph in behind the impulse line!!...but it looks to just be oil and saw dust at least. Saws from around here usually are covered in dried on spruce/fir pitch which is fairly unaffected by gas. .......about the only way to get it off is with oven cleaner...and that's nasty stuff!! I think that Champ will clean up pretty nice..

Back