Jonsered cs 2159

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Anderson

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I saw an add today for a Jonsered cs 2159 for $200. No pics and not much info in the ad other than it says it's very clean and has seen very little use, starts easily and cuts like crazy. I really don't need this saw but if it is very clean and low hours it would seem like $200 is a good deal and if I wanted to unload it I could do so pretty easily for $200 and not loose anything (or maybe even a little more and make a few bucks). I replied to the ad, we'll see if they get back to me.

What do you all think, is it worth taking a look at knowing I might just turn it over again or is that not really such a great price?

CAD strike!!!

I would make sure the rightful owner isn't looking for it right now, someone straight gassed it, or something else tragic hasn't happened to it because the price seems prettly low if it is mint like they say.

If the story checks out, it seems like a good enough deal to me. I think these are the stratified charge engine. Try it out and see what you think.
Tough to go wrong buying a Jonsered!

Last edited:
CAD strike!!!

I would make sure the rightful owner isn't looking for it right now, someone straight gassed it, or something else tragic hasn't happened to it because the price seems prettly low if it is mint like they say.

If the story checks out, it seems like a good enough deal to me. I think these are the stratified charge engine. Try it out and see what you think.
Tough to go wrong buying a Jonsered!

It is not stratified, but I agree with the rest of you post.

I certainly don't want to buy anything that was not aquired in an ethical, legal manner so maybe I will see if the guy has an original receipt or some proof of proper ownership, if he ever gets back to me. I'm working all day (despite my occasional posts here) and I'm feeling like crap so not sure I can get out to see it anyway but it sounds like it will be worth the effort if it's as clean as he says.

Does anyone know how many years that model goes back just so I have some clue how old this saw could be?

Auto tune!

I friend of mine got one. It's a autotune saw. Think it is a fairly new model. Reincarnation of a Husqvarna ofcourse but with the autotune carb on it.

Motorsen

....and it's no re-incarnation. It is a 359 in different colors and plastics (I know, the front handle is straight, ST!!). $200 is a good price, but it's not a price where you are likely to make a pocketful of money, especially if you have to ship. They are a good a saw. They respond well to a MM, and if you pull the base gasket, they will really surprise you (and responds hugely to porting).

Thanks for the advice but I missed out. The guy called and it was sold already. Probably for the best since I really should not be buying a saw I don't need right now.

Thanks for the advice but I missed out. The guy called and it was sold already. Probably for the best since I really should not be buying a saw I don't need right now.

As you have a new 346xp buying a 2159 is almost pointless. Weight wise, hp wise, cc wise, service bulletin and issue wise.......the only plus I see is that you were going to by a Jonsered........gotta luv the red!

Someone in the next town from me is selling one of these in decent shape for $500. I was considering it since it was so close but I really need something a little bigger (2165 or 2171). At any rate, yea seems cheap eh. If the guy near me was selling for that price I prolly woulda bought it by now lol.

for $200 you can cop that and roll it for $400 next week if you dont like it

Yeah, had I not been too late and missed out I probably would have kept it for a short time to play around with it but would just ended up selling it to see if I could make a few extra bucks for Christmas. I doubt I would like it as much as the 346xp and as hamish pointed out it's not really big enough over the 346xp to make it worth keeping, besides the fact that it's red. Maybe one day I will find a good deal on a 64-70cc saw that I will "need".

Yeah, had I not been too late and missed out I probably would have kept it for a short time to play around with it but would just ended up selling it to see if I could make a few extra bucks for Christmas. I doubt I would like it as much as the 346xp and as hamish pointed out it's not really big enough over the 346xp to make it worth keeping, besides the fact that it's red. Maybe one day I will find a good deal on a 64-70cc saw that I will "need".

These things happen. The unfortunate reality of craigslist is in order to get the good deals, statistically, you have to spend lots of time on it looking and looking, and after a while, if you sum up all the time you spend looking, had you been working, you would have probably made more money than you saved.

That's just the reality of our truths.

Very true Mike. I don't feel bad, I didn't need the saw so hopefully someone who did got it. I had my lucky hit on CL a few wekks ago. I got a 4 year old 25 ton log splitter for $400. It smokes a tad but runs great and has already paid for itself. Guy said he got 50 e-mails in one day and I was halfway down the list. The first couple guys he called back were jokers looking to get it for nothing but he noticed my last name being the same as his so he called me next and I got it that night - that's lucky! Plus we discovered we went to similar churches in the area and had attended some of the same events over the years so maybe the Good Lord had that all arranged for me!

Someone in the next town from me is selling one of these in decent shape for $500. I was considering it since it was so close but I really need something a little bigger (2165 or 2171). At any rate, yea seems cheap eh. If the guy near me was selling for that price I prolly woulda bought it by now lol.
For $500 you could have a new 2159/359, not worth it!!!!

for $200 you can cop that and roll it for $400 next week if you dont like it

Sell it used for $400???? Only if it looks perfect and the buyer realllllly wants that saw ;)

People pay whatever you want on CL as long as youre patient

Anything is always worth what someone is willing to pay for it ;) Just saying if you really wanted to sell it then you 'd be waiting for quite some time to sell it at that price.

Back