Jonsered flywheel removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey bama sorry i can't help with your question but i see you have a 920.I just found one at the local recycleing center that somebody threw out.I repaired the ignition wire threw a carb kit in it and it runs like an open sore.It has a 18inch bar on it now but i would like to go with a 34inch bar.The little bit of sawing i have done with it it seems to have plenty of power.Just wondering what your running on yours?

Ive always removed them with the nut flush to the crank end with a punch and a sharp blow of hammer without any problem..There is no place to screw a puller on the flywheel.

HiOctane said:
Ive always removed them with the nut flush to the crank end with a punch and a sharp blow of hammer without any problem..There is no place to screw a puller on the flywheel.

I do it this way too. Lot's of people will tell you not to but I haven't had any problems. In theory it puts a lot of stress on the crank and bearings. But if you use finesse and a small hammer it can be OK.

I have a small prybar I made just for poping flywheels off. Also the hammer I use an antique, that just happened to be exatcly suited to the job. Since it's clearly made by a blacksmith I don't think you'll find one exactly like it. I'm sure you could find similar tools though. If you want a pic of my flyweel removing setup I can email it to you.

Soby1 said:
Hey bama sorry i can't help with your question but i see you have a 920.I just found one at the local recycleing center that somebody threw out.I repaired the ignition wire threw a carb kit in it and it runs like an open sore.It has a 18inch bar on it now but i would like to go with a 34inch bar.The little bit of sawing i have done with it it seems to have plenty of power.Just wondering what your running on yours?

I run a 24" bar on mine because it is all I need. The trees I cut usually are no more than 28" at the base and I can't justify a bigger bar for the small amount it would be useful. It all depends on what you are using it for. Nice find! I wish I could be so lucky!

HiOctane said:

Sometimes you might have to use a bit of heat.Jonsereds used lock tite on some of them. We just got done working on an 80 Jons and they used lock tite on it.We used the method in the above post with heat.Good luck.

Rick

HELSEL said:
Sometimes you might have to use a bit of heat.Jonsereds used lock tite on some of them. We just got done working on an 80 Jons and they used lock tite on it.We used the method in the above post with heat.Good luck.

Rick

I will try that next time. I did not know about the locktite. Thanks, Rick.

I here ya on the small towns.Hayfield is nice two bars and a Leigon club,Plenty of cold beer and friendly people.As far as the recycleing center goes I do the grounds maint. for the facility.Get to know the guys that work the yard and got it made.Just put your order in for what you are looking for and it's a matter of time.It's amazeing what the yuppies will throw away.I have also picked up a 520 and 420 out of the dumpsters.Both run fine after a little TLC.

Just be careful,it did'nt take long for me to fill my 20 by 40 shed with sh$$ I could'nt live without and won't do anything with. LOL

Latest posts

Back