Jonsered.....Good or Junk?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Racer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I havent been in the saw business long, 3 years apprenticing at a Stihl dealer. Being as ive only worked in a Stihl dealer, thats the only brand i really work on, we turn away anyother off brands. However i just got given to me a 630 Jonsered and i was just wanting some opinions on this saw. It is in excellent shape, runs excellent and everything, the guy couldnt get it to start so he gave it to me, all i did was put fresh fuel in it, and away it went. I also noticed a stiking resemblince to the Husky 61. Are those 2 companies any way affiliated?

Racer it is complete junk ;) and should be shipped to me for immediate disposal so you wont have to work for it, actually if you run a search you will see it is a good saw from what I have read, I have been trying to get a hold of a 670 and some have run both and like both of them.

Jonsered is the sister company to Husqvarna, both are owned by E-Lux in Sweden, actually much of the technology in husky saws came from Jonsered originally and today many husky and Jonsered models are assembled in the same plants. I owned Jonsered in the past and they are as good as any Stihl I have had. Today's Jonsered is red and black versus the husky in ornage, they are far better looking than the husky but pretty well the same saws parts and operation wise.

ive had several 670s and theyre a ???? good saw. actually there arent any "junk" jonnyreds i can think of. the old school johnnys are my favorite pre electrolux days. nothing against husky but i like the way that johnsered engineered things.

The 630 Jred is based on the same chassis as the Husky 61. Jred had a 625, which was the base model, identical inside with the 61. They were marvelous firewood saws and OK for hardwood logging in east and midwest.

630 is the hi-po model, rev's higher, and makes more power. Same as Husky 261/262 XP; a little better performer.

Jonsereds kick *** they're that good. I've got 2 different ones, one from the elux days, a 670, which is about the same as a 268, or possibly the 272. my other is a pre elux model 70. both are outstanding machines, but I grab the 670 before almost any other saw I have simply cause I love it. the Jreds are currently the same as huskies, just red and black instead of orange. EXCELLANT saws. my 670 isnt separating from my possession unless you can manage to pry it from my cold dead hands.

Sensational saw. Jonnys down under aren't known anywhere near as well as Husky or Stihl, so the prices are still very good. The anti-vibration is excellent, easy start, very well engineered, comfortable, good torque, easy maintenance. My 2150 Turbo never misses a beat, it's got Jonsered/Huskvarna stamped on it...same factory. I cut hardwood here in Oz, (obviously at 30 degrees rather than 35), with no worries. The older Jony's are still a favourite with some old diggers. Can't fault them for a medium firewood saw.

As far as I know, all Jreds (except a couple of homeowner models made by Poulan - as are the current 1xx series Husys), are made at the Husky factory in Sweden by now. The cooperation started in the early eighties, possibly with the 162, 61, 66, 266, 266, 268, 625, 630 and 670, but the full coordination of the product lines was not finished until quite recently, when the (Partner designed) 2077 were dropped from the Jred lineup.
In spite of this, there are some differences between the Jred and Husky versions of the saws, so it isn't entirely correct to say that they are the same saws - just very similar.

eyolf said:
630 is the hi-po model, rev's higher, and makes more power. Same as Husky 261/262 XP; a little better performer.
I don't think the 630 and 262xp had much in common except maybe bore and stroke.
The 262xp was based on a smaller and lighter chassis ("154-family"), and had less weight and more power.
The 261 was a detuned 262xp.

SawTroll said:
In spite of this, there are some differences between the Jred and Husky versions of the saws, so it isn't entirely correct to say that they are the same saws - just very similar.

Basically what I was trying to say is that they are very close kin in this modern day, having the same e-lux roots now and technical synergy.

Jonsereds are a whole lot better looking also with better dealer experience and support, around here anyways.

Lobo said:
....Whole lot better looking....
No doubt about that! :blob2:

Where I live, Huskys are sold by full service dealers exclusively, but Jreds and Stihls are availiable both from such dealers, and warehouses with little or no service....

Mange said:
Here is a Article sieries made by George Blake.

The History of Jonsered

Very interesting reading.

Thanks Mange, real interesting reading indeed.

I always liked Jonsereds. Jonsereds have come out in the past with many firsts and innovations to the industry.

Now I understand how they dropped the S also.

Their bearings must be supplied by that other big company located in Gothenburg also.

Saw Troll: <i>I don't think the 630 and 262xp had much in common except maybe bore and stroke.
The 262xp was based on a smaller and lighter chassis ("154-family"), and had less weight and more power.
The 261 was a detuned 262xp.</i>

Right you are, and I knew that, once. Silly me. It's also correct that Jreds and corresponding Husqvarna are not exactly alike; if you put a husky gas tank on a Jred, you also need the husky handle, for example. You can't mix and match plastic shrouds...either all red or all orange. Husky used that plastic slider switch that's hard to use with frozen mitts; Jred blocked off the spot for it and used a toggle that wasn't a lot better. Husky was available with a high-capacity air filter that Jred never got on some models...although the current turbo dust reduction makes that distinction kinda moot.

I still stand by the assertion that the 625 Jonny was the same as the open-ported 61; the 670 is more or less the same inside as the closed-ported 266/268xp. Was there a closed-ported 60cc Husqvarna model to correspond with the Jred 630?

eyolf I was thinking the 670 and 272 had the same jug and piston. There were different model's of the 670 also. There was a standerd model then there was the west coast, super and the champ. The last three haveing a higher hp. Not for sure but the super and champ were about the same and the west coast had a different type air filter arangement.

My mistake. 670 is 66.8cc and 272xp 71cc. I was told I could use the 272xp jug and piston on the 670. If the stroke is the same I could make the 670 live a little longer.

eric_271 said:
Not for sure but the super and champ were about the same and the west coast had a different type air filter arrangement.
I think that the Super was simply renamed Champ after people started winning world championships with it.

eyolf said:
Was there a closed-ported 60cc Husqvarna model to correspond with the Jred 630?
I think the 162 was the Husky that resembled the 630 closest in power output, but I don't know anything about the porting of those saws.

Saw Troll: <i>I think the 162 was the Husky that resembled the 630 closest in power output, but I don't know anything about the porting of those saws.</i>

Många tak, SawTroll.
Interesting how I can get things mangled: 162/261...!?

During the transition period, when the 6xx Jonsered saws were sold here in N. America, they were available with some of the same and some different cylinder/piston arrangements compared to Husqvarna. As you're surely aware, not all of Husky's cylinders came from the same place either. My old 670 had a Gilardoni assembly, but some didn't have the maker's name clearly visible. Some were from Mahle.

So far as I know, the J625 and H61 were 60cc, open, finger-ported saws. There was a H268 that was also open ported, at 67cc . J630 was closed ported 60cc, and there 3 or 4 part numbers for the cylinder assy over the years here. J670 and H266, H268XP were 67cc closed ported, and there were a bunch of part numbers, some of them the same, between Jred and Husky. during that time. Jonsered never sold a 70cc model to correspond with the H272, at least not here in N. Am.

I suppose each part number corresponds to changes in suppliers and design; someone out there probably knows the absolute best one to look for. I have a hard time telling the diff in perf. between my Jred 670 with a 272 cylinder assy on it and a 266xp; I doubt if could tell the best from the worst out in the woods at all.

Latest posts

Back