Jonsered ID from Serial Number?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagAero Mike

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just picked up a Jonsered saw that had been modified a lot and used in saw racing competition. Lots of parts seem to have been changed or modified and only the serial number shows on the tag since the numbers are stamped in but what model it is looks to have been painted on the tag and is now worn off. The Serial number is 1984002246 so I bet the year is 1984. The bore is 48mm and stroke is 37, but it may not be the original top end. The piston is missing part of the skirt and cylinder is shot. The saw looks very "Husky-ish". I plan to take it back to original condition, once I find out just what model it is. Looking at IPLs it is a lot like a Jonsereds 625 or 630 but maybe an earlier version? Is there a serial number to model list anywhere for Jonsereds? Wouldn't that be a great book to own if it had serial numbers for most or all brands of saws? I'd order one today! Anyway, anybody got any good ideas on figuring this one out? Even pictures can't be trusted since a lot of the parts aren't original.

I just picked up a Jonsered saw that had been modified a lot and used in saw racing competition. Lots of parts seem to have been changed or modified and only the serial number shows on the tag since the numbers are stamped in but what model it is looks to have been painted on the tag and is now worn off. The Serial number is 1984002246 so I bet the year is 1984. The bore is 48mm and stroke is 37, but it may not be the original top end. The piston is missing part of the skirt and cylinder is shot. The saw looks very "Husky-ish". I plan to take it back to original condition, once I find out just what model it is. Looking at IPLs it is a lot like a Jonsereds 625 or 630 but maybe an earlier version? Is there a serial number to model list anywhere for Jonsereds? Wouldn't that be a great book to own if it had serial numbers for most or all brands of saws? I'd order one today! Anyway, anybody got any good ideas on figuring this one out? Even pictures can't be trusted since a lot of the parts aren't original.
I would guess it is indeed a 1984 saw built in week 22, it being the 46th unit assembled that week. But as Jacob said pics are very necessary especially of the clutch with the cover removed and of the carb along with other shots showing the whole saw. From these we can pretty much tell you exactly what you or what it was. I’m guessing a 630

I now have got it steam cleaned so you can actually see it (It was a mess) and I'll try for some pictures of it today. It has the K7N style cone shaped air filter on it, but it looks like someone cut away part of the top cover so it would fit. This is definitely a "Frankensaw" ! It looks like it started out as a 630 maybe. Sure wish there was access to the serial number database so I could find out exactly what it started out as. Which Husky is the same as the 630? Hopefully between Jons and Husky I can come up with a piston and cylinder. THANKS!

I now have got it steam cleaned so you can actually see it (It was a mess) and I'll try for some pictures of it today. It has the K7N style cone shaped air filter on it, but it looks like someone cut away part of the top cover so it would fit. This is definitely a "Frankensaw" ! It looks like it started out as a 630 maybe. Sure wish there was access to the serial number database so I could find out exactly what it started out as. Which Husky is the same as the 630? Hopefully between Jons and Husky I can come up with a piston and cylinder. THANKS!

If it is in fact a 630 you’ll not have any problem finding parts. There are parallel lines in this family of saws. On the Jonsered side you have the 625, 630 and the 670...... on the Husky side there is the 162, 61, 66, 266, 268 and 272. Many parts interchange perfectly others must be swapped as a set from Husky to Jonsered. There is hours of reading/ searching to be done on this site alone pertaining to this very fun and flexible family. ...... just for instance look at the 61 Husky with the 268xp top end and Jonsered 670carb

This particular saw had a 32" bar on it, so it must have had reasonable power. I just want to find out what it started out as, and take it back to stock and original as I can. Don't want to pour a ton of money into it and build something so expensive I can't even get the money spent out of it if I sell it. I'll try to get some pics posted later today.

Cylinder and piston, carburetor, and maybe clutch are all probably not original to this crankcase. Top cover and air cleaner cover are both modified, I think.
How about that piston skirt!! Don't think that's gonna buff out! ;-)

Back