Jonsered vs a Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gexter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought a Jonsered2240 for home use and I have a couple people telling me I should have bought a Stihl
I like the Jonsered 2240 because the light weight and power ratings and parts availability/changeability.
On paper it looked good and I have not even started it yet as some people are telling me I should have got the equivalent Stihl.
It seems to me the Jonsered is a fine saw for the average home owner as it took me a long time of research before I bought it. Should I be spending the same money or a little more on a Stihl?
I used to work on small engines and outboards about thirty years ago so doing my own work does not bother me, getting parts does.
I already brought the much cheaper Poulan Pro 18 back and got the Jonsered 224o instead.
I really like the lightweight of this model of Jonsered after packing around big heavy saws at one time.

Any Advice?
Am I wrong in thinking this little saw will do anything a homeowner needs and drop the occasional poplar if needed and last a long time. I got a kick out of all the nylon components in the saw but I suppose that is all saws these days.

Thanks.

Don't pay any attention if your saw works for you enjoy it. I caught a ton of flack from my buddy for buying a Dolmar because it wasn't a Husky until I ran it beside his 288xp...

Thanks aarolar, good advice.

stihl owners tend to be sorta like those other people from germany.....
Ha ha.
I fired it up yesterday and took down a decent sized willow that was about 24" across at the base last night. Compared to the old saws I have been using over the years its like a Cadillac with the 32 valve Northstar V8. Nice saw not quite the Grunt but I just fired it new up and the Gas was about 6 months old. I have never had a brand new saw before so its a really nice unit.
I noticed somebody mentioned give it a couple tanks of Gas and a tune up and it definitely feels like that's all it needs. The vibration damping makes such a huge difference and this one in particular is a cut above the others.

For my general use this is a nice saw but definitely would not take down some larger trees with it, which is fine because the wife does not want me taking any large trees down or topping anything big anymore.
It's going to be humbling paying someone else to take down my two large overgrown poplars , but they can chip it while I buck it up.
I like the saw and I am keeping it.
The lack of case with the one I bought is my only complaint so far.

Old gas mix is more forgiving if it is a quality oil and non-ethanol gas, even more beneficial for an occasional user. A sharp chain and a clean air filter will make the job easier for you and the saw. Enjoy your new saw.

I heard from one who broke free from "stihl-heads" that they often suffer from severe "recto-cranial inversion."

To help him get free, I handed him a RedMax GZ4000, then a PP5020 to try, then back to his stihl 250. Relatively, a total bow-wow.

End of story.

Old gas mix is more forgiving if it is a quality oil and non-ethanol gas, even more beneficial for an occasional user. A sharp chain and a clean air filter will make the job easier for you and the saw. Enjoy your new saw.
Agreed. Ethanol production is government subsidized to create another profit area for big business and has been nothing but trouble for the consumer. We all hear the benefits but see the exact opposite and worse. Gas with Ethanol becomes unstable earlier and is nasty stuff when combined with gas. It may slow the evaporation of the actual gas by the sacrificial evaporation properties but leaves the gas contaminated after evaporation.
That's my opinion anyway, I am sure someone smart could tell me different, but I still don't like Ethanol. :)

I heard from one who broke free from "stihl-heads" that they often suffer from severe "recto-cranial inversion."

To help him get free, I handed him a RedMax GZ4000, then a PP5020 to try, then back to his stihl 250. Relatively, a total bow-wow.

End of story.
Recto-cranial inversion, sounds serious, that must really stink!

I would have told him that if he paid the additional money for the Stihl it would have been bought. Your saw will do fine, use high quality oil in your gas and drain the tank and run the saw dry if not used for extended periods.

Your jonsered will be lighter and smoother to the Stsihl equivalent. I am surprised over and over people that say you should bought a Stihl when the usually no nothing about chainsaws.

Your jonsered will be lighter and smoother to the Stsihl equivalent. I am surprised over and over people that say you should bought a Stihl when the usually no nothing about chainsaws.

Yep, never ceases to amaze me how many people Stihl has got brainwashed into thinking they make far and away the best chainsaw. And, as you said, most of them know next to nothing about chainsaws.

Also, CTYank is right about that little Redmax 400/4000. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar and against anything in that displacement range, it kicks azz and takes names. My favorite small saw.

Love the redmax 4000. Wish I had one....most bang for the back around.

Look on eBay. There is a Ryobi 10532 up for sale right now, which is the same saw. The seller actually has a couple of them. You can usually get one for about $120, so there is probably a little room to talk the seller down a bit.

I've run mine right next to guys running small Stihls and Huskies and had offers to buy my saw.

Should have compared it to a BMW 5 series ;)
The Jonsered is working great, getting better as it runs more. seems like it under oils the blade a bit and no way to add a little more oil. I might cut the chain oil a bit now that it is getting colder.
Thanks for the advice all.
Any advice on cases? this one came without one. or should I start a new thread on that :)

You can get a husky box at dealer...or go to tractor supply and they have the same box in black for jonsered.

Latest posts

Back