Jonsered vs a Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya I was thinking of the husky carrying bag.
Did not think of checking out a tractor supply.
Thanks

Yep, never ceases to amaze me how many people Stihl has got brainwashed into thinking they make far and away the best chainsaw. And, as you said, most of them know next to nothing about chainsaws.

Also, CTYank is right about that little Redmax 400/4000. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar and against anything in that displacement range, it kicks azz and takes names. My favorite small saw.

Just a happy user. You might be interested in what I "discovered" at a GTG this April in upstate NY, at a Dolmar dealer.

I was there partly to pick up my PS-6100 (highly recommended BTW), and while bs-ing with the gathered throng, I was offered a Dolmar PS-421 saw to check out. Wow! One smooth screamer. If I didn't already have a GZ4000, a PS-421 would have come home with me to be part of my 40 cc/60 cc entourage.

Needless to say, both of these 40 cc saws make the Stihls in that vicinity look like jokes, not very funny jokes either. :p

I have not even seen or heard of a Dolmar before this site.
I have my little 14 up and running like a dream and that $10 Troybilt will get its high speed jet reamed out ever so slightly this winter sometime as it is my only ( cheap ) option and now that I have my Jonsered if I totally screw it up I don't care.
The Jonsered runs better each time I fire it up but once I am done bucking up the rest of the large branches I set aside from the initial tree, it will be parked, ran dry and fogged oiled for the winter.

Pantelis I stopped doing any serious work with trees about 15 years ago,I am just a basic home owner and that does not mind getting my hands dirty and cannot tolerate a throw away piece of crap saw.
I could use a little more Jam but the saw is still young and once I break it in more I can worry about tuning. I think the Stihl for my use level is more than I need to spend.
My Big Stihl fan neighbor who really knows his tools checked my little Jondered out and thought it was a nice little saw and agreed it's more than I will ever need

Thanks all for you help and advice everyone

If you want to wake up the little Jonny, you should look at muffler modding it. You'll need to remove the limiters from the carb needles, but it'll bring the little guy to life.

If you want to wake up the little Jonny, you should look at muffler modding it. You'll need to remove the limiters from the carb needles, but it'll bring the little guy to life.

I might, but for now I will wait for break in and the first thing my wife said when I fired it up was how quiet it was.
my old 14" Mac and 18" troy bilt both have muffler mods and the 14 just screams. I thought it would have blown itself apart years ago.
I like the vibration damping of the Jonsered and how quiet it is, After the racket of the other saws and my lawn mower and the lack of vibration damping on my saws I am really enjoying the Jonsered.
Hoping to pull power out of the 18 troybilt if I can and leave the Jonsered alone

I didn't notice any increase in noise when I pulled the catalytic converter out of my Echo, but it made a big difference in how much guts it had. I didn't even open up the ports on that one.

You don't need to go crazy to see some decent gains. I usually don't wear hearing protection when I'm cutting, and wouldn't want a super loud screamer either.

Back