Jonsered vs Husqvarna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

441_Stihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
hello I have heard they are made by the same company.Is the Jonsered the same quality as the Husky?If by same company whats the main differences in them

Jomsered and Husqvarna were once separate concerns, but both became subsidiaries of Electrolux corp. Husqvarna is distributed in N. America by Husky-owned or controlled firms, while Jonsered is distributed by third parties, at least in Canada and the U.S.

A poster on this forum suggested a few years ago that that is because somehow one of the distributors, Tilton dist, in New hampshire, was able to lock Elux into a contract that they've been unwilling to buy their way out of. I believe it worlks to Elux's advantage anyway...they still move product.

Jonsered no longer sells a saw larger than the 2186, equivalent to Husky 385. Jonsered has yet to introduce a saw based on the Husky 570/575, electing to continue with the model 2171, essentially the same as the old 372. The popular 2165 remains avaialble as well, same as Husky 365. Jonsered doesn't have a "consumer" level saw in the 55cc saw range to compete with the 455, but in my mind that's not a big deal. Moving on down the line, Jonsered will have a red saw like most of the Husky units with the exception of the 346.

In my mind there are three major differences between a Husky saw and the Jonsered equivalent: color, top handle ergonomics, and Jonsered saws do not have the high cover with the big filter available on a couple of models like Husky did. The color and ergonomics thing are mostly a personal preference issue. The air filter thing is kind of a non-issue with the "turbo" air cleaning...hours and hours of use between service in any case.

Jonsered = Lincoln
Husky = Ford

Same thing, but one is dressed a bit better and gives the owner a feeling of being original.

eyolf said:
Moving on down the line, Jonsered will have a red saw like most of the Husky units with the exception of the 346.

Hi,

Jonsered hast the 2147 which appears to be the same as the 346XP.

Bye

Jomsered and Husqvarna were once separate concerns, but both became subsidiaries of Electrolux corp. Husqvarna is distributed in N. America by Husky-owned or controlled firms, while Jonsered is distributed by third parties, at least in Canada and the U.S.

Jonsered is now distributed by Husqvarna Canada in Canada.

I ran a Jonsered 2159 and Husky 357xp. I like the top handle angle on the 2159 alot better, more comfortable to me. Now to figure out if I can put a 2159 handle on my 357.

Hired Gun said:
Jonsered vs.Husky: One is red, one is orange. Same quality. Main difference is handle bar angle.
That's right, but on some models there are other small differences also.....;) :Eye: :Eye:

I don't know if Husky taking over Jonsered has anything to do with it, but I know my old 361 has been a great little saw, while the 2036 I bought a couple of years ago has been a major POS and nothing I've tried has cured it's problems. Maybe I just got a bad one, but since the 361 was such a good saw, I figured I probably couldn't go wrong with another (newer) Jonsered. Boy was I wrong! If I had bought it new, it would have went right back to the dealer. As I said, maybe this one is just a bum saw, but I'd think twice about buying another one now..........

The 2036 was made by Poulan, not by Husky.....:pumpkin2:

The two cheapest Huskys have been made by Poulan for some years, and so has the cheapest Jreds.....

SawTroll said:
The 2036 was made by Poulan, not by Husky.....:pumpkin2:

The two cheapest Huskys have been made by Poulan for some years, and so has the cheapest Jreds.....

I guess that would explain it then........:censored:

Wish I'd known that before I bought the damn thing...cause I wouldn't have!

Actually, the old 361 isn't a "real" Jonsered either, if was made at the Emab facility in Canada.
The Emab saws were sold under several different brand names....

SawTroll said:
Actually, the old 361 isn't a "real" Jonsered either, if was made at the Emab facility in Canada.
The Emab saws were sold under several different brand names....

That may be, but at least it has been a good dependable saw. The 2036 has been anything but dependable!

The problem seems to be carb-related. Mostly it either runs right or not. One time you use it and it will run fine, then the next time you pick it up it won't run right at all. Adjust the carb and may run okay for a while, then the next time you use it it won't even stay running. This year I overhauled the carb yet again, and at first it seemed to run okay. Then the next time it would occasionally die at idle and adjusting the carb didn't fix it. I then found that the fuel line was disintegrating, so I replaced it with a new piece of the clear plastic stuff. I checked the filter and rinsed the tank out so that I knew everything was clean. I used the saw once after that with the usual idling problems, then the next time I couldn't get it to run again. Occasional false starts, but that's it. I noticed that I could see air in the fuel line where it arcs over the top of the carb, and after pulling my guts out trying to get it running, the air in the line won't go away. So it looks like for whatever reason, the carb isn't pulling fuel up from the tank now. (And yes, the gasket between the carb and the jug is okay and installed properly.) I'm starting to think that maybe the carb has an internal leak. I've heard of these carbs having porosity in the casting on rare occasions. Maybe that's the problem with this one. I've thought about giving up and putting it on eBay, but I'd hate to stick somebody else with this POS.

Latest posts

Back