Jonsered ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cryn_Sky

Reaction score
Hey all

I was wondering if anyone here uses Jonsered saws , If so let me know how you like or maybe dislike them . Thanks

Older Jonsereds were advanced saws with frequently quirky designs, all but two (?) of the new ones are rebadged Huskys. Nothing wrong with them. High quality all around.

There was a time when Jonsereds saws were cutting edge technology. If a new Jonsey design held up in the field for a few years it got to be a Husky. The high tech nature of things led to a few models with quirks or real problems which got dropped but by and large Jonsereds were the best of the best. As John in MA said they(Jonsered without the s now) are mostly just Husky's in a better looking color scheme nowadays-NOTHING wrong with that!

When did Elux get Jonsey, anyway? I thought that they were on their own during the "Jonsereds" period.

Jonsered has kind of a "cadillac" image in my area; premium saw at a premium price. Whether that's good or bad is probably a personal perception thing. Most everybody seriously shopping for a chain saw notices the similarity between the Husky and Jonsered lines, and sometimes may find Husky models at a better price than a similar Jonsered, but serious shoppers also soon notice that Jonsered seems to be inhabiting the little guy shops, while Husky is everywhere including the big box stores.

For me, that is Jonsered's appeal; that and the nicer-looking color scheme. There's something about the color of a Husky...looks faded and worn, even when new.

I currently own 4 Jonsered saws: a 621, 625, 670, and a 2149. I have owned a 2055, 2081 and a 70E, and can say I've been pleased with every one of them.

Hey Dennis, are the Canadian versions of the Jonsereds similar to the way the Canadian Huskies are built? Just wondering.....;)

Jeff

Dennis, Jeff, that`s a real shame because I like the fact that the US Huskies have such large cranks. The Canadian Jonsys must have small cranks like a Stihl? :D

Russ

I had a 3rd hand 1980s vintage 451AV that was well-abused when I got it but was absolutely bullet-proof during the 10 years I used it. NOTHING ever broke on it. NOTHING.

Finally I wore out the seals cutting a ditch thru a peatbog. The dealer said fixing it wasn't worth the money so I ended up with a 1998 model 2050. It has run pretty good, but I have had to replace the ignition module (failed for no reason) and a starter housing that "exploded" one day in the field when it kicked back on me. Also the spark plug end on the ignition wire came off because it was attached very cheaply. The oiler is inadequate and starves the chain way too often. This 2050 model also has one of those funny crankcases where the piston comes out thru the bottom and you have to take off the flywheel and stuff to get it out. Not good.

The Jonsered remains perhaps the most handsome saw IMO with its cool red & black color scheme, but that doesn't mean duky when something breaks.

I just got an Echo CS-510 on eBay cheap and will compare it with the Jonsie (and my Stihl 024 when I get it running again). Should be an interesting comparison as both the 2050 and 510 are in the same class.

I own three j-reds. Two of them are early 80's- late seventies models and are really good. The other one is a newer 2045 and its a POS. No better than a poulan. BTW I believe the 2045 is sold as a husky and poluan variant as well.

Last edited:
<p>Howdy<p/>
<p>I know that a Jonsered 670 seems higher quality than its' sister, the Husky 272. There was also a thin-ring piston available for the 670 for a short time. For a saw that would bring a smile to your face, you couldn't ever really beat a PP 930 with a thin-ring piston. They were a heavier chassis though, like the 2094/2095. I heard that Jonsered does all the engineering and that Husky just steals their ideas, like air-injection, carb-isolation block, and tin-alloy pistons. I can't wait to see what a PP 2183 can do.<p/>

First saw I had was a Jonsered, that had belonged to my Uncle and I got it when he died. It was "well used", and not to cast nasty comments on the dead, let me say Uncle Kaye was really hard on ANYTHING mechanical; the fact this saw still ran reasonably well after he had it for a few years says a lot for the quality. Can't remember what the model was but it was from the mid 1980s,so can't say if their quality is still up there. I ended up giving it away to someone who claimed they wanted it for parts when it finally needed some major repairs.

Details ?

Originally posted by HUSKYMAN
This Jonsered can take out a 272:D

Real men wear RED:cool:

Hey HuskyMan ..
Nice saw , how about some details on it ( Model and what mods you did to it ) Thanks

Latest posts

Back