Jonsereds 49SP Build With the Northwoods Saw Designed and Marketed Piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First... I am in no way affiliated with Northwoods Saw nor is this build test sponsored or solicitated by them. This is simply my own test of these brand new and first ever aftermarket pistons offered by anyone for these saws. I want thank Northwoods for stepping up and producing these. I did not actually buy this piston from them but from an ebayer who was selling them and had got them from Northwoods. It wasn't until after I had bought it that it became clear where it had originated from. I will be trying to show the good with the bad and venturing my own honest opinions about this build. I am not a Jonsereds tech nor a factory trained tech of any brand. I'm just a hack that has built a few 49sp saws and other Jonsereds/Jonsered saws as well..so now we all know what I'm not......LOL!!

I recieved the piston and immediately compared it to a stock one I had that was in good condition....it was very nice looking, with the correct crown as per the original. It measured perfectly to the stock "A" size code that I had. This was all good but then I measured the amount of sideplay between the wristpin bosses of the small end of the con rod.......this measured 0.128"....so I measured the stock one...0.038"...then I measured a 52/52E...0.012"...the 52 uses a wider wristpin bearing and thrust washers to control sideplay. I also measured a number of other Swede pro saws and found that most maintained between 0.008" and 0.018" sideplay. The sideplay of the conrod upper bearing dictates the sideplay of the big end bearing as well. I contacted Northwoods about this issue and they said they would work on this on future production runs. As my measurements showed the 49sp was a sloppy fit stock compared to other saws of the same brand but this piston sideplay was three times as sloppy. I thought this was way to much sideplay so I machined about 0.015" off each boss so as to fit the 52/52E wristpin bearing and thrust washers which left me with a running clearance of around 0.012". This should keep the conrod centered nicely on the crankpin.

The first pic (015) shows the piston fitted with the 52/52E thrust washers. The others are just different shots of the piston fitted to an old crankshaft.

I decided to build a saw to test this piston in. This meant choosing one from the "many 49sp Parts saws" pile. The one I chose was rather dirty but mostly intact. In order to give this piston a chance to prove itself the saw used had to be in perfect running condition...this one looked to have a ways to go!! This saw, though not the prettiest, will have to be entirely gone through and made as close to new as possible so as to not have the condition of the saw influence the outcome of the piston test.

Nice writeup so far![/QUOTE

Thanks!! So now we'll tear this puppy down and see what's what.....pretty dirty....

REALLY DIRTY!

236390d1335836844-49sp-build-northwood-saw-piston-030-jpg

REALLY DIRTY!

236390d1335836844-49sp-build-northwood-saw-piston-030-jpg

Thanks Dan....I know how everyone likes lookin at dirty pictures!!LOL!!! Thanks Randy and lfbh too!!

After stripping this saw down to just the cases and crank and giving the whole works a through cleaning, I found the pearl under the crap.... Much to my amazement...This was a very low hr saw...the P&C were near mint. The piston only showed about a half a thousanths wear and all that crap in the fins just melted away with a citrus cleaner and water. The cyl showed none of the usual burning of oil into the surface...just cleaned up to a uniform dull gary everywhere. Couldn't believe it...here's a few pics after cleaning the cases.....

The hardest part of the cleaning was the fuel tank...this saw had set for yrs with a half tank of gas. (which had gone away...mostly...) The paint inside the tank was all wrinkled up and the fuel filter was varnished down to the floor. It smelled BAD.. I let it set full of laquer thinner for four days and that got after it pretty well but still a bunch of scraping, shaking with nuts in the tank and blowing out with air.

The crank was perfect too so I flushed out both main bearings with mix and an acid brush while spinning the crank and installled a new set of SKF double lipped seals as you can see in the first 2 pics.

Flushed out the oil tank and removed and cleaned the oil filter screen, which, for those that do not know, is located behind and integral with the chain catcher in the clutch area. It's the deal with 3 screws just forward and lower than the clutch.

This saw had never has dogs installed so there is a little wear on the paint at the front of the cases but very minor...usually if these saws are run much without dogs the muffler is all banged up and the paint is worn all but completely away. In the ealier pics you can see that the muffler is near perfect too. As you can see in the third pic...not a lot of use..some... but not a lot. All in all I guess I picked the nicest junk saw I had in the pile!!

I like the looks of that saw.......

236453d1335867053-49sp-build-northwood-saw-piston-032-jpg

The J'red is just not seen here. I need to get a couple for show and tell. :msp_smile:

Really good job on the cleanup.

It really surprised me too, how well this cleaned up but as I said this saw had very few hrs on it. I don't even remember where I got it...probably ebay...I don't know what was wrong with it, other than the fuel tank issue from sitting. I didn't try to start it or even check for spark..I have everything here at the shop to cure any 49SP problem imaginable so I didn't worry if some part was beyond redemption. There were three on the floor destined to run again..I just picked one...LOL

Here are some pics of the P&C that came off this saw. This is just cleaned up with soap and water (cyl that is) the piston is just as it came from the bore, just wiped with a rag. I tried to show the inside of the piston crown where there is always some burnt on, brown carbon...can't see it in the pics but this one is real clean, just a brown tinge in a couple places.

This top end will probably be in the next saw I build...LOL!!

They sure do have a funky lookin intake :msp_ohmy:

I know it isn't that wild?? Seven screws!!! Plus the impulse hole!! The Jonsereds 90 only has four!! Rather a PITA to cut new gaskets for!!

Here are a couple pics from making gaskets in the "49SP and 70E Build from Scratch" thread I did a while back.

This how I do cyl base gaskets and the special intake to carb gaskets that this saw and the 52/52E takes.

I made a paper template of nine cly base gaskets with nine carb gaskets in the middle. (the cyl gaskets without the carb gaskets on the right is from my first attempt and I didn't realize how much wasted gasket paper was left over.) I cut a piece of 1/32" gasket paper to 8 1/2" X 11"...put the template face down in the scanner, put the gasket paper in the tray and hit "copy"...then just cut them out with scissors, exacto knife and a leather hole punch....that way I always have the gaskets I need. One word of advise...Just rough cut the outside, then punch all the holes, then cut to the line inside, then cut to the line outside.

This saw got NOS, NLA gaskets throughout.

Back