building my first saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jappe1987

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hy everybody,
i want to build my firts saw.
i have picked up a jonsered cs 2077 that had a damaged cilinder and piston, so i would like to go from there.....
does anyone have any ideas ? i am a complete newbe .....
i would love to go a little bigger if possible but dont know witch cilinderand piston kits fits ....
at the moment the piston is 52 mm

i appreciate the help
jasper

Have you rebuilt any other types of engines before? If not find a good YouTube video of a saw rebuild for the same or similar model of saw. Get the saw disassembled, and put the various parts in baggies that are labeled. Get your replacement parts and clean everything very well before reassembly including the replacement parts. Go slow and ask questions. As Merc man mentioned try to diagnose why the saw failed the first time. Good luck!

Clean it up from outside in as you take apart. Pictures are good, label assys and bag them. Get an ILP and shop manual. Tools, you'll need some.

Need to diagnose why it crapped the bed. Look inside ex port to piston, do a vac/pres test.

Pull off the clutch and flywheel before the P/C. Clean up around there and under flywheel/clutch first.

Make a list of parts/part #s as you go, that you need .

Not sure if that Johnnyred shares parts with Huskyvarmints? If so, either are best parts for your saw.

I avoid Chinesium parts like the Kung Flu.

Sounds like it may already have an AM p/c on it. You are better off with an oem 50mm p/c, than an aftermarket 52mm. If you purchase a 51.4mm oem p/c you will need to have it ported to see any advantage for stock 50mm. JMO.

Sounds like it may already have an AM p/c on it. You are better off with an oem 50mm p/c, than an aftermarket 52mm. If you purchase a 51.4mm oem p/c you will need to have it ported to see any advantage for stock 50mm. JMO.
The 2077/2083 were a different platform than the 2065/2071.

fantastic advice in here... Jappe, reed and heed !

First step is to figure out why it crapped out. I start with a pressure and vac test and go from ther.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
saw had a piston failure its all scratched .... and at one side the piston ring is completely
First step is to figure out why it crapped out. I start with a pressure and vac test and go from ther.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
piston cilinder failed ... i got it in bits and piston and cilinder are all scratched at one side ....

i did some research and it seems that a piston and cilinder for a 046/ms460 would pit the jonsered .... original parts in belgium are very expensive but i found a meteor replacement (italian made ) would that be decent ?

an ms460 Stihl on a poulan pro/jonsered 2077?????????? I don't think so.
there were some previous post on here were it was said that the 460 and the 2077 have the same piston cilinder kit they are bothe 76.5 cc and have a 52 mm piston ......

i did some research and it seems that a piston and cilinder for a 046/ms460 would pit the jonsered .... original parts in belgium are very expensive but i found a meteor replacement (italian made ) would that be decent ?

And I've got a Toyota piston for your SBC! Made in China too! Deplorable, or diversity? I'm Joe Biden and I forgot this message.........?????

And I've got a Toyota piston for your SBC! Made in China too! Deplorable, or diversity? I'm Joe Biden and I forgot this message.........?????
Any other sugestions ? I al new everybidy got to learn .... just telling what i found on the forum here ....

I can understand the price on parts in Belgium. It's just expensive in the EU for stuff that is likely a lot cheaper in the US.

At least Meteor parts from Italy is a lot closer to you than it is to us... make that work to your advantage if you can.

Here in the US, Lil Red Barn sells a 52mm piston about 50 bucks USD. If your cylinder is at all salvageable, of course.

However if the piston/cylinder is completely toast, you have to sort out why in the process. Wrist pin, or clip? Air leak causing too lean at full tile boogie? Et cetera......

I can understand the price on parts in Belgium. It's just expensive in the EU for stuff that is likely a lot cheaper in the US.

At least Meteor parts from Italy is a lot closer to you than it is to us... make that work to your advantage if you can.

Here in the US, Lil Red Barn sells a 52mm piston about 50 bucks USD. If your cylinder is at all salvageable, of course.

However if the piston/cylinder is completely toast, you have to sort out why in the process. Wrist pin, or clip? Air leak causing too lean at full tile boogie? Et cetera......
Here it is about 130 euro (around 120 dollar) for the complete meteorkit ....

Latest posts

Back