Jonsereds 49SP Build With the Northwoods Saw Designed and Marketed Piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean this handsome, simple looking setup?

236497d1335887839-49sp-build-northwood-saw-piston-038-jpg

Well it is a simple setup.........I have no idea why they decided to do it that way...in the Jonsereds world this is the most complicated intake fastening system ever offered.

Thanks guys...this is what it is..just a saw build from days gone bye.

Once the cleaning was done it's time to reinstall the ign system. I had intended to replace the points with a set of NOS.. NLA points....but these points were so low hr that a quick resurfacing and gapping was all that was needed. The timing on the 49 is a piece of cake......full advance....all the way clockwise and bolt it down!!! (with the gap set at 0.016")

Next comes the P&C installation....I got so absorbed in assembling this motor I forgot/neglected taking any pics until the cyl was all on and the flywheel and coil all on and air gap adjusted.. It went smooth and quick. I am going to steal a couple pics from the earlier build thread just to show my methods. This time was no different than building those three. The piston and cyl assembly pics are actually from the 70E but I do the 49s exactly the same way.

I very lightly lube, with my fingers, (with straight Ultra) the piston skirts and cyl walls. I generously lube, using an acid brush the mains, big and small con rod bearings as well. DO NOT FORGET to put the base gasket in place BEFORE you get the piston in the bore!! (Don't ask how I know this!! But not this time! LOL!) Anyway as you can see I fit 2 wood blocks under the piston so that the piston is fully supported just before TDC. This saw got a NOS cyl base gasket, which I put in dry. If I am using no base gasket and just sealer, I support the blocks of wood on either end with thin (1/8")strips running perpendicular so the applied sealer is not disturbed by the blocks. This is also why I don't position the piston at TDC as leaving a few degrees of rotation allows me to create enough free space under the skirts to remove the blocks, again without disturbing the sealer.

Assembly goes pretty quickly from here. More time spent cleaning each part than installing it.

After the cyl is on and bolted down, the flywheel and coil are installed. Air gap for the coil is 0.012"

I use two plastic tabs from foam coffee cups between the flywheel magnets and the coil legs to set the air gap. They mic exactly 0.012", are non magnetic and there are always several in the shop trash from myself and the crew. Again I am going to steal another pic from the other thread to show this. I just set them on the magnets between the flywheel and coil. The magnets, clinging to the coil legs, holds eveything in place while I get the bolts started. Once the bolts are tight I simply rotate the flywheel magnets off the coil and retrieve the tabs.

Next the rear handle and clutch, drum and rim drive are installed. I swapped out the spur sprocket/drum for a brand new drum and rim. I seem to be out of 8 pin X .325 right now so I went with 3/8X 7 instead.

I also swapped out the regular muffler for this spark arresting type. Also the top handle and AV mounts go on now....

The recoil is actually from a 52 but it is the one that came to me on the saw and it's in good shape so it goes back on....all cleaned up of course!! Truth be told..... I prefer the older, silver and black Jonsereds logo to the more modern Black, Red and White one that would be correct for this saw.

Very nice work Robin. That powerhead holder is sweet. I need one, just too lazy to build my own. :laugh:

Very nice work Robin. That powerhead holder is sweet. I need one, just too lazy to build my own. :laugh:

Thanks Randy...I was going to build one too.... and then I almost started but something came up....so I was going to build one again...but....then this guy came up on ebay and I nailed it for $89.00 delivered!!!!
They didn't have it listed as power head holder but did say it came from a defunct saw shop in the PNW. I don't think many folks had a clue what it was for. It is sweet.... it rotates and spins with detents at every 45 and 90 degrees.

On the home stretch now. New fuel line was in order but this is the original fuel filter. These are real nice filters. There is a small allen head screw in the end cap which you take out and the filter comes apart...under the felt part is a heavy sintered bronze filter. Back in the day, when doing routine service, you simply bought the felt sleeve and washed the bronze filter out, put on the new felt part, put the screw and end cap back on..good to go. As you can see there is a crimped collar on the fuel line so removing the filter from the line is a bit more difficult than more modern saws. When you put a new line on, put the collar on the line first, then put the line on the filter barb, then using pliers slide the collar down over the barb too. Good system.... filter never falls off in the tank. This one was varnished real bad, but soaking for three days in laquer thinner took care of that.

Cleaned and kitted the carb and reinstalled carb and fuel line....put the top cover back on....

Cleaned the air filter installed and airbox cover installed Just about there!!

Brand new set NOS of dogs installed....

Ahhhhhhhh....break time!!!!!

Good job Robin. I'll grab a couple of those pistons myself. Going to use one to create another 52E.

Also, I scored another 49SP for myself just last Saturday; my 6th. But I see I'll have only closed the gap between us for a few days. :msp_sneaky:

But on the other hand, I did finally get a nice 111S on Sunday! :blob2: Thanks Ambull :msp_thumbsup:

Good job Robin. I'll grab a couple of those pistons myself. Going to use one to create another 52E.

Also, I scored another 49SP for myself just last Saturday; my 6th. But I see I'll have only closed the gap between us for a few days. :msp_sneaky:

But on the other hand, I did finally get a nice 111S on Sunday! :blob2: Thanks Ambull :msp_thumbsup:

Thanks Bob. You haven't really closed the gap.....I just ain't talking quite yet!!!! LOL!!

Congrats on the 111S...I guess that leaves me being the only one that doesn't have one:msp_confused::cry::cheers:

Very nice work. I like the 49sp, I have my grandpas and it still running great. Here is a picture of it sitting with some of my other saws.
attachment.php

Just about there. Clean the clutch cover and once clean I find just how low hr this saw really was. There was still red overspray on the steel chip deflector in where the chain runs!!! Someone had run the chain way to loose and it chowdered the chain catcher and put nicks in the top and bottom of the cover. But other than that it hardly looked used!!

And the finished product..........

Very nice work. I like the 49sp, I have my grandpas and it still running great. Here is a picture of it sitting with some of my other saws.
attachment.php

They are nice little saws....not the lightest nor fastest but very pleasant to use..good AV, quiet, smooth and dependable. Good you have your grampas saw...hopefully this little test of mine will show that Northwoods Saw can supply much needed pistons that work good for these gems. Happiness is or can be...a brand new piston!!!

Nice fleet you have there...and that chair looks comfy next to the stove!!!

A few more of the finished product...the last one with some saw dust on it!!!

I set this up with a 3/8" X 0.058 X 16" bar and chain.....All the other 49s I have .325 and they seem to do a litttle better with it. Where as this is a test I though I might as well load her heavy and long of tooth!! LOL!!

I got this running yesterday morning...tuned it and put it in some dry ash but I only made 7-8 cuts and it started raining so I had to quit. It started right up and ran good....no wierd noises or vibration..fairly snappy.

This evening before dark I put a tankful through it...it cut well but the low speed running was not as stable as I would have liked. Don't know if it's just breaking in a requiring a slightly different tune or what. Need to use it more...may have to go back into the carb and check the metering lever. Of course it will take an entire season of wood cutting to form a complete opinion on the piston but it runs well and other than the excessive space between the wristpin bosses I think it is sucessful. I was sorely tempted to put a Cabre ring, or NOS OEM ring on it but refrained and used everything that came with the piston. This test will be on going so this thread will probably surface from time to time just to let you know how this is working out...or if something fails!! Thanks again Northwoods for coming through where no one else cared!! I hope your investment is returned...I'll probably be doing my part!! Now i have to go change my sig just to bug Bob!!!LOL!!:cheers:

I guess I should have updated this thread to say that I found the reason for the unstable idle on this saw. I was getting saws ready for the Maine GTG down in York and was cleaning up the saws I was planning on taking when I noticed a bunch of black snot on the second fins down on the cyl....cyl had been beadblasted and was very clean?????? Operator error.....damn sparkplug was lose..some bonehead didn't tighten it when the saw was built.....runs and idles perfect ever since!! Silly me.....

Latest posts

Back