Jonsereds 49SP Build With the Northwoods Saw Designed and Marketed Piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update on this saw motor. Used it in an 8 cord, tree length hardwood pile last week....fitting it to 16" so a pretty good first workout for it. It ran well and was getting noticably stronger as it broke in. Had to adjust the carb a tad along the way. It was hot for wood cutting...85+ degrees...maybe hotter in the gravel pit where I was. The only issue I found so far is that it seems to have more vibration than these saws usually have to the top handle...kinda thumb tingling on my right hand after a tankful or so. I just went back over my nunbers on the piston weight difference between the stock 49 piston and the Northwoods version after I installed the 52 wristpin bearing and thrust washers. These added 5.6 grams to the already 1.9 gram overweight piston for a total of 7.5 grams heavier than a stock 49 piston...however a stock 52/52E piston weighs 11.1 grams more than a stock 49 piston and they both run on the exact same part # and balanced crankshaft. I have 2 49sps that I have installed 52 pistons in and they don't have this vibration issue. They do have a bit more shake due to increased compression and piston weight but I don't recall them puting my thumb to sleep after an hour of use... hmmmm Maybe I have a hard AV rubber or when crowded goes metal to metal?? Have to look this over more closely....Still happy with this piston so far and am probably more critical than I need be......the only other difference is, this is the only 49 I have with a 3/8 bar & chain on too...perhaps I'll swap out to a .325 and see if that changes anything......hmmmm...more to follow....

Back