Jonsereds 52E problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsterling

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents, I have an early 80s Jonsereds 52E that is in fantastic shape was hardly used it lost spark one day. I still have a little spark on the spark tester but not enough to fire the saw. I checked the wires coming from the module they were missing the insulation it got hard and fell off. I repaired that with some liquid electrical tape and heat shrink tubing. Still the same little spark. The connection under the flywheel cover is fine. First question, is there a way to check the module with a multimeter? Second question, the flywheel has 4 magnets but only two of them actually have any magnetic attraction. The other two have very little almost none. Are all 4 magnets supposed to have very strong attraction? If I cant figure this out I'm going to swap in the points, condenser and coil from the 52 I have, I know they work fine. Then unpot this module to see exactly what's inside. Thanks in advance for your help.

If you already have all the parts to do the conversion I'd go that route. These old modules are getting harder and harder to come by and generally spendy when you find one. That said generally when these modules fail they're just done...no spark. Sounds like you covered all the usual problem points but you might want to look at the connector to the sparkplug.....these sometimes have only a partial connection inner core of the wire which can cause a weak spark.

I don't know how to check that other than put meter in it and bend it back and forth.. I just did that and it gave a constant 3.2 out of the meter, which I believe to be 3,200 ohms.

I don't know how to check that other than put meter in it and bend it back and forth.. I just did that and it gave a constant 3.2 out of the meter, which I believe to be 3,200 ohms.
Check it? Well you look at it, touch it, fondle it,, see if it's looks be aligned properly with the plug wire.....not rocket science..

Latest posts

Back