Jonsereds 70e top handle interchangeabilty - ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PNW Sawduster

I cut it off twice, and it's still too short!
Reaction score
Does anyone know if top handles from any other Jreds will interchange with the 70e? I'm picking up a saw tomorrow that looks like it's been dragged home from the woods behind the truck, and the top handle is definitely wonky. Dunno if it can be straightened or not, but seeing loads of them for OTHER saws on flea-bay (just not any for the 70e! Lol) TIA gang.

Years ago I swapped one to a 70e .Iwas given the 70e and another larger Jonsereds .The 70e had one single ring and it was stuck the top handle was crushed I got the ring loose and took the top handle off the other saw.The 70e ran great and was one of my favorite saws until the sem ignition went.I do not want to give you false hope but the bigger saw had two rings it looked like an 80 but had black covers so Im guessing its an 801.The saw is at my summer cottage one ring is gone but the compression is still unbelieveable I rember it was an easy swap.
Kash

Sorry to say I can not say for sure I am pretty sure the coil was under the top cover.I have torn apart so many saws it is hard to keep a fresh picture in your mind some are locked in the memory bank but not all.I know it was not an 80 as I have run those it was a similar size but black covers so I guessed an 801 which is a saw I have never seen.I want to get this saw running one of these days.
The weather and lakes and forest here are very similar to yours in Maine I almost went to Maine on a pulp mill project last spring.I will be heading to camp in May when the ice breaks up and I will check the saw over and report back to you.I am very curious as to what model it is.
Kash

No it is not a 66e I ohmed the coil on the 70e it seemed good found the spark plug wire on the 70 had an internal break I was happy thinking I found the problem with no spark.Wrong answer then I jerry rigged the coil from the unknown saw as a last ditch effort with no positive results.I love the 70 much more than the 630 or 670 but have my douts I will ever find an Sem I sure wish it had points.If I had my choice in older saws I would take one saw with points over 5 saws with electronic.I have never met a magneto ignition I could not fix and that includes hundreds of pieces of equipment other than chain saws.

Yeah points systems are more forgiving and fixableif you have a good understanding of what they need. I've always found Jonsereds points igns to be very robust and trouble free once set correctly. You've probably made certain of a good connection between your recoil cover connector and the case connector on the 70E? This a real fail point....I use one of the wavy washers from the recoil cover bolts held in place with a dab of grease to bridge the gap to test it.

Back