Junk crankshaft?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainsaw Jim

CJ Saws, LLC
Reaction score
I have an ms290 on my bench for a piston rebuild. The top of this piston was worn to the point where it caught on the intake port and blew a chunk off it. It could have been bad gas because there was bad pitting all the way around the crown. Anyways, the flakes of aluminum got ground up in the crankcase and all caught up in the bearings. Luckily the case bearings have the plastic cage that pops out to remove the bearings for inspection and cleaning...everything was still perfect as far as the bearings and tracks. But the con rod bearing had a few flecks of aluminum that were impossible to remove so in the garbage it goes.
Then I thought about muriatic acid and decided there was nothing to lose. After about a half hour of soaking, the reaction bubbles had stopped and I was left with a bearing that was perfectly clean. I sprayed some Stihl lube on it and it feels like new again. Has anyone else done this? I'm assuming yes, but never heard anything about it.

Latest posts

Back