My MS461 Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SHE'S ALIVE!!! And I'm in love!

This thing sounds mean! And the torque is incredible!

Here she is all cleaned up and running like new. There is hardly a scratch on her, and all the white is still bright white. Not bad for less than $200 invested including the price of the saw.

picture.php

Now to get a chain, and get it in some wood.

Thank you. I don't think I've ever been so excited to get a saw up and running.

I have had mine now for 4 years, and it has been incredible. My only change or fix has been to install the 3(?) components from Stihl to make the stock oiler into a high output oiler. Even with a 24" bar and the oiler set to max, the oil to the bar&chain was a bit stingy. With the change the oiler is set at 1/2 and there is plenty of oil flowing, leaving me with plenty of adjustment to run the 32" B&C.

Such a good deal!!!! I'm jealous! Now put some bling on that saw and send it my way so I can bling out the insides. :happybanana:

I'm working on it. I would love to get it worked over, but not sure when I can get it sent you way.

Well I finally got to get the saw in some wood, and let me say, this saw is amazing. I had about 8 large ash stumps down my driveway that my farm boss struggled to cut through, and was wearing me out. This 461 sliced through all of them with almost no effort. It's a little heavy for cutting all the little saplings and things around the stumps, but it was perfect for the large stumps.

@Freudianfloyd You will likely think twice about getting the saw modded. It is quite capable in its stock configuration.
It does seem to be. I'm not the most experienced, but I have run saws for years, and this saw blows them all out of the water in terms of power. Maybe when I get used to the power I will look at getting it modded.

You must not own any ported saws. Since I build them I have run quite a few. Any stock saw I've ever run is a major let down compared to a built one.

WOT is WOT. How spunky it is in getting there doesn't effect the cut. Does a built saw have higher RPMs, faster chain speed, and can't an unlimited coil do the same?

When my saw is not cutting as good as it was an hour ago, I change out the chain, or sharpen it. What don't I understand?

WOT is WOT. How spunky it is in getting there doesn't effect the cut. Does a built saw have higher RPMs, faster chain speed, and can't an unlimited coil do the same?

When my saw is not cutting as good as it was an hour ago, I change out the chain, or sharpen it. What don't I understand?

A ported saw will make more power throughout the entire power band. Chain speed is much faster, maintaining rpms is much more constant, and no a unlimited coil will not do the same thing. By just switching to a unlimited coil will not suddenly raise the chain speed in the cut. Will adding HP&TQ to a car increase its 0-60 time?

If the saw is ported right its night and day difference compared to stock. 461's are good saws, very popular, strong out of the box. They also port well, and can be taken to another level. Just like a 372. Good stock saws, but no where near the power a ported one will put out.

It does seem to be. I'm not the most experienced, but I have run saws for years, and this saw blows them all out of the water in terms of power. Maybe when I get used to the power I will look at getting it modded.

If you want to do a little modding yourself for some extra ponies you can mod the muffler and advance the timing a little bit. Quick, easy, and reversible.

@Yotaismygame I am curious. I wish someone near me had a ported saw. I cannot send a saw out and risk it being any less then it already is. My ms290 was crazy powerful, til I got my ms461, and even though the ms880 is a quantum leap above, the 461 is still awesome. The ms290 can get over loaded in large wood, yet the 461 is all powerful. The only 461 exception is when wearing the 32" bar and fully buried in wood will it show itself being challenged. I did fully bury the 41" bar of the 880 and it never slowed at all.

Running a ported saw will ruin you. Its like when adding a tuner to any car or diesel truck. Turn it all the up have some fun but then when you turn it back down its very disappointing.

Any decent porter will only send you back a better saw. We're not too far apart if the curiosity bug bites you.

@Yotaismygame I am curious. I wish someone near me had a ported saw. I cannot send a saw out and risk it being any less then it already is. My ms290 was crazy powerful, til I got my ms461, and even though the ms880 is a quantum leap above, the 461 is still awesome. The ms290 can get over loaded in large wood, yet the 461 is all powerful. The only 461 exception is when wearing the 32" bar and fully buried in wood will it show itself being challenged. I did fully bury the 41" bar of the 880 and it never slowed at all.

I have a ported 046 and ported ms660. They are good saws stock but amazing saws ported. Porting is more of allowing the saw to live to its true potential. I’m not a fan of choking down an engine EPA bs. I’ll attest to the difference in stock vs ported. Saw saws may not be as much but my 660 was like an uncaged gorilla

Latest posts

Back