just bought a 395xp, the chain brake handle is very flimsy feeling:/

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to have the saw/chain running when it hits the stump.....say WOT then drop it on the stump it will engage then......that's the way it's designed....:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

NO!!!!!!

at the risk of offending (i'm not intending to I assure you)

That is the stupidest comment i have ever heard. Anyone who tests a chainbrake like that is asking for a chainsaw facial. If this guy went and did that and killed himself you would feel pretty bad... and there are people out there who would try it based on advice received from AS

:D:D:D

STK

Yes, that was a really bad piece of advice! :censored: :censored:

:cheers:

Last edited:
edit- added second picture to see outside.
img0298vo7.jpg

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1002/img0297qq9.jpg

Just got it back from the repair place I took it to without a bar and chain, figuring they wouldnt have to start it up.... or do anything with it other than adjust the spring.

Apparently they felt it necessary to start it up and run it in the back room while i was there waiting for them to bring it out.

revving it up WOT, without a bar, AFTER they had supposedly done a service test on it 3 days ago.

I see this guy come out of there with a smile on his face and he hands it to me, i feel the muffler and its sizzling hot. :/ What did he need to run it for?

I was so mad i left there without checking the damn thing.

I come home to put the bar and chain back on it, and the cover was wearing against the clutch holding bolt!

AND they drilled a hole in the cover so the chain tensioner pin would fit through it!!!! I dont even know if it will oil properly now with a hole through the chain brake cover isnt that area getting constant oil??? I need a new chain brake cover! Dont I? this is insane

Talking to the general manager now, im very mad. This is rediculous.

Now my chain brake works great, just like it should, however now they forced everything else to fit when it didnt have a bar on it.

img0297qq9.jpg

edit #2-

It may not be drilled but someone may have tightened the chain brake cover, without the bar on, and the chain tensioning pin broke through? I dont know how aluminum reacts to force like that, the hole looks almost machined it seems too cleanly cut.

Last edited:
I know what the problem with your saw was - your dealer is retarded.

show those pics to the guys at husky, and tell them your story, they're a good bunch there and will sort you out.

im trying to work out why they drilled that hole. down here we try not to butcher new saws, they should have replaced the whole cb assy if it needed to be modified!

running without bar and chain is not tooooooooo bad if its only for a second or 2 and you run a 25:1 mix. it wont have poked your engine put it that way. however clutches tend to unwind themselves when no b&c is on, and you end up with a pretty circle pattern on the inside of your cover. thats presuming this guy used a spacer or something and didnt just tighten up the cover onto your clutch (surely hes not that dumb)

They are only willing to cover half the cost of a new chain brake assembly, because I took the spring out of the saw and looked at it before i brought it in to them!

Oh and because i drop tested it...

This is retarded.

Last edited:
First, becoming emotional will solve nothing. You should have called general manager and told him his tech is d--ked in the nob for running the saw WOT without chain or bar on, but that is now water under the bridge.

Before speaking to anyone, you need to write up a timeline for what has been going on, from the beginning. DO NOT say "I did a drop test". Tell them you attempted to test the chainbrake "AS PER THE OWNERS MANUAL". DO NOT tell them you were running the saw when you did it (you should not have done that by the way, it doesn't need to be running). Once you have the timeline all straightened out, do the fllowing:
Telephone Husky USA headquarters and tell them you have a serious problem with a dealer, and need to talk to whoever can reconcile the issue. Once you have spoken to them, get their email address so you can email them the photos. Use the timeline and follow it. Don't get sidetracked. Point out the saw was unfit to run from the get-go, and the dealer obviously did not check it at all prior to sending it out the door to you. And you are ready to return the saw to the dealer, and sue them in small claims court if they refuse to refund the money to you. It is defective, and the service they provided is substandard. This should begin to get the ball rolling. I most certainly would not have accepted the saw after they tached the thing wide open. That was stupid. Plainly explain to the rep at Husky you want a new saw. Start from there.

Last edited:
My advice is similar to Nitroman.

At this point, I suggest that you write a polite but firm letter to the dealer and explicitly CC the shop owner and Husky USA. If you do not have contact info for the latter, you should call the Husky service line and ask for the name and address for the VP/director/manager of customer service.

In your letter, clearly state what happened... what you observed when you received the saw, the support provided by the dealer at the time of sale, when you noticed the brake problem, how the dealer repaired it, etc. Specifically request a prompt, written reply to your letter within 21 days. Include a chronology of events and state who you have spoken with (include dates/times if you have them). Send each letter by registered mail/courier and request signature confirmation so you can prove the letters were received. I have never found it useful to threaten court or lawyers, just state the facts (as you know them) and what you want, i.e. a new saw, but do not go asking for unsubstantiated compensation. Support your letter with copies of the receipts (both for the sale and the repairs), photos and any notes you have.

I suspect that if you demonstrate that you are rational, organized and well prepared with the relevant facts & documentation, Husky and/or the dealer will quickly send you a replacement saw.

Lastly, if you purchased the saw with a credit card, you may want to see if your credit card company offers purchase protection. In Canada, 60-90 day purchase protection is rather common... you simply explain to your credit card company that you are involved with a dispute with the seller and return the saw. The credit card company returns your money and you are done with that dealer.

Good luck!

Last edited:
They are only willing to cover half the cost of a new chain brake assembly, because I took the spring out of the saw and looked at it before i brought it in to them!

Oh and because i drop tested it...

This is retarded.

They meaning your dealer? Contact Husky USA and report the original
problem and then the technician, that service must get some feedback
to help any other victim and you need your new saw, to be a new saw.

Ok what Grawil wrote was what I should have written. Much better.

I hate to say it, but here it is: you are one out of the many thousands of people who have purchased a Husky product that was a lemon. Stay the course and you will find satisfaction in this matter. Do what Grawil wrote and it will work out. Better to have this happen with a saw rather than your car, or say, a new house. This is a little thing when you look at the big picture.

Ok what Grawil wrote was what I should have written. Much better.

I hate to say it, but here it is: you are one out of the many thousands of people who have purchased a Husky product that was a lemon. Stay the course and you will find satisfaction in this matter. Do what Grawil wrote and it will work out. Better to have this happen with a saw rather than your car, or say, a new house. This is a little thing when you look at the big picture.

While I agree mostly we are speaking of a pro saw and I have never
had a lemon in any pro line-up. I also look at all the cheap bs being
produced anymore and the sum of the little things as you call them
create a huge picture! Ps not speaking of pro saws just cheap
and all things from lawn mowers to can openers.

Last edited:
I don't think lemon is the right term to use in this case. Yes it has a legitimate warranty problem but thats what warranties are for, but that doesn't make it a lemon. Generally for a product to be considered a lemon it has to constantly be having problems and usually the same problem over and over. The dealer might be the lemon in this case

I don't think lemon is the right term to use in this case. Yes it has a legitimate warranty problem but thats what warranties are for, but that doesn't make it a lemon. Generally for a product to be considered a lemon it has to constantly be having problems and usually the same problem over and over. The dealer might be the lemon in this case

Agree!

Well, I wouldn't have taken it apart myself, but unless they have some evidence that you damaged it, they're nuts. Especially since you now have evidence that they damaged it.

I was getting close to the YIKES! level when you said they clipped the spring instead of ordering a new one, but was trying to bite my tongue and hope for the best.

Like the Kiwi said, there's not much excuse to be modifying parts on a brand new saw. I can only remember doing it once. I was assembling a ATV and one of the welded on nuts on the frame was 1/8" away from where it belonged and I couldn't put the skid plate on. I couldn't very well see trying to warranty the frame for that, so I enlarged the hole in the frame a little bit with my dremel so the bolt would go into the nut. Didn't have to mess with the hole in the skid plate at all. If I were a saw mechanic, my first inclination would probably be "Hey, Husky, the brake don't work, send me a new sidecover with a working brake installed". That way I wouldn't waste time trying to figure out which part of the brake was out of spec.

The thing you've got to ask yourself before you get in touch with Husky is whether you want a new saw, or would be satisfied with a new cover/brake assembly. The fix might be as simple as Husky shipping the part to you if you don't want a new saw.

i think ive had enough aggravation from this saw for now, got other shiat going on to be dealing with more bs of my word against a dealer or some ####.

They told me over the phone they will void my warranty pretty much if i take this further, in not so clear words since i looked at the chain brake assembly.

I doubt ill even need the god damn warranty after this, i coulda just done the same fix they applied, by shortening the spring. Not like theres that much that can break on the god damn saw.

They will knock 40 dollars off the chain brake assembly, they say it costs them 80 dollars, (which i dont believe since its on baileys for 79.99.) and then making me pay for shipping, +tax. They refuse to pay for shipping to me.

Complete garbage, whole time since before i showed them the pictures they pretty much tried to say i was the one that caused the damage etc. Before they knew i had pictures of the Chain brake assembly before I took it to them, the General manager was trying to say i dont think my guys would have done ANYTHING like that ever!!

Then when he asked if i had pictures of it before i brought it to them he sorta went quiet for a second and said, oh ok well send them over to me.

Then between the calls Trying to make me mix my story up or something to prove i did the dmg myself between the time i picked it up and took the chain brake assembly off to put the bar on, making me repeat what i had told them 3-4x.

will my next saw be Husky?

No, i dont have enough dealer support in my area, and the ones that are 30 miles away from me are apparently idiots.

Where as, i was looking at stihl dealers, and theres like 4 of them within 10 miles of me. 1 of them only 2 miles away.

I dont know why Husqvarna isnt in my area south of chicago :/ Real bummer.

Last edited:
i think ive had enough aggravation from this saw for now, got other shiat going on to be dealing with more bs of my word against a dealer or some ####.

will my next saw be Husky?

No, i dont have enough dealer support in my area, and the ones that are 30 miles away from me are apparently idiots.

Where as, i was looking at stihl dealers, and theres like 4 of them within 10 miles of me. 1 of them only 2 miles away.

I dont know why Husqvarna isnt in my area south of chicago :/ Real bummer.

Journier,

I am sad to say I had a similar experience with Husky and their (lack of) warranty and poor support from one of their independant dealers. Neither the dealer nor Husky customer and technical support were willing to stand behind a week old saw with less than 10 hours of use:dizzy: . Search 359 problem and you will find out about mine. I really liked the saw but......

I can pm you the letter I gave the selling dealer when I returned my saw and purchased an MS361 from a reputable Stihl dealer that I should have bought in the first place. They decided it would be easier to refund my money instead of dealing with a credit card dispute. Major saw manufacturers sell hundreds of thousands of saws and some problems are to be expected. The proof of quality and integrity comes in how the problems are handled. Do some research, Stihl wins hands down in handling warranties even though Husky may have some better saws in certain categories.

Brian

ps. I also have a 25 year old Husky Rancher 50 that runs like a top, but its out of warranty.:clap:

I cant grab the handle at the far left end and pull it in to unlock it, it will nearly bend all the way back to the handlebar. i have to grab it at the center point, or at the far right end to get it not to bend on me before unlocking. Very flimsy

the chainbrake is very tight seeming, i sometimes have to take my left hand off the handle, and grab the chain brake release, and do it like that, either jam it back toward me to unlock it or, jam it outwards to lock her again.

Thats unless this chainbrake system might be just tighter than normal? Anyone with 395 come in here and let me know?

Is she gonna loosen up after a few thousand engages and disengages ? :dizzy:

God thats annoying.

any tips?

My 395's brake also engages fairly easily but is a complete B**CH to disengage. I can't say the handle feels flimsy at all though, it's just that it takes quite a bit of force to unlock. It's more of a pain if it happens when it's mounted on the mill. I got the saw used so I assume it had quite a few hours on it already, not to mention my contributions.

I just bought a 395xp too and am thinking I am having the same situation with the chainbrake. I noticed that I have to pull on the brake/handguard pretty hard to get it to disengage. If I pull on the left side, the guard will come back all the way to the handle. I just picked it up yesterday and have only made a few cuts with it. I'll give it the drop test today (per the manual) and report back here. If it's not working right, this sounds like it could be a recall issue...

In which case maybe you'll get your chainbrake assy replaced for free after all. Hang on to that receipt. Where does a person go to report a consumer safety issue like this?

Andy

Drop test failed

Yep, tried the drop/inertia test per the manual and the brake did not engage. This is disappointing. I bought this saw so I could use it, not so it could sit at a dealers shop 35 miles away.

How much pressure should it take for the brake to engage when you do the test with rotating your wrist around the handle? That is working but not as well as it probably should. I guess this could be a bad batch of springs in these saws, How do I know they won't send a new bad spring?

Both my dealer and Husqvarna will be getting a polite but firm call from me tomorrow.

Otherwise the saw starts, runs, and cuts like a dream.

Damn.:crazy1:

Latest posts

Back