just bought an old asplund bucket truck Altec LR IV-50

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This truck came from Virginia...
It's a '97 GMC 7500, 350 gas, 63,000 mi., 11' chip box, with a Kubota pony motor... seems to run well for what it is... a standard asplund underpowered dog that struggled up the first hill it ever climbed 11 years ago, empty...

Probably going to need a clutch soon, and while I AM at it I was thinking of getting some more horsepower under the hood, by either working the motor or switching out to a big block...

It is also going to need a new door and paint, and who knows what else mechanically... I paid &14,850 for the truck so I have can put some more money in it and feel good about it..

I don't work far from home (though I may be expanding the territory this year). I will start using it as a bucket truck primarily, not pulling a chipper. So I'll milk the clutch for a while and let the truck earn some money. When things get busy this spring, I'd like to be ready to use it for a second crew. I have a spare chipper, and plenty of extra gear, so it won't take much on that side.

Any suggestions as to how to get some more power out of this truck?
Can I put a 454 in it? or a diesel? (and is it worth it)... Or What is the best way to get more power out of the 350? and any suggestions for service and maintenance on the altec lift are appreciated too ... I do have a servie manual for the altec....

Thanks in advance...

Murphy,
I have exactly the same unit. I've been using it since '99.
I agree, the original engine is underpowered but, it's done its job for 9 years with few problems.
The boom is way overbuilt and easy to maintain. Grease all points and keep the chains lubed with hydraulic oil. There should be a service poster mounted inside the toolbox next to the pony motor displaying the locations of the grease fittings.
I've often wished for more HP but, I don't tow anything with it so I couldn't justify the cost.
Bottom line- It's a dependable engine regardless of the fact that it blows.LOL.
Gerasimek

Murphy, call Jasper Engines and Transmissions, give them your VIN # and they can tell you what motor belongs in your truck. My guess is its at least a 366 gas dogger sinse thats whats in my 97 c-7500, its what they call a "tall deck " big block chevy. I got my bucket from " S.M." and it was supposed to have 427 tall deck, so it is a dog too. The truck would'nt run for ####, all loading up and running rich, so "S.M." at least sent me a used computer for a 366, and now it runs much better. Too much fuel being sent for smaller motor. The intake and fuel injection are the same part #, so all you may need is 427 comp (about 300 hopefully, not sure, but only takes 5 mins to swap out, just a plug in bassically) and 427 long block, 3,650 from Jasper (1600 or so for 366 ). I got a price of about 2500 to install, but mines 4 wheel drive so yours might be cheeper. Someday when I'm felling rich and due for a clutch thats what I want to do, alot of hills here. Note: I saved my old computer, of course. Hope this helps. MDS

Is the boom the same age as the truck?

Sometimes they aren't. Asplundh stops supporting their older booms but I forget the time frame.

The LR-IV is an Altec made unit. You can get whatever you need for it.

Altec bought out Asplundh in `91/`92.

For Asplundh manufactured lifts: Mandatory retirement after 25 years, mandatory rebuild after 15 years, cable replacement every two years. If it is past the 15 or 25 year mark you will not be able to buy factory parts.

found a diesel

I was looking for a friend who might need a 6.5 L GMC diesel in his '95 3500 dually... So I found a 6.5 L diesel turbo charged with ECM and everything except the air blower.. came out of a wrecked truck with 92,000 miles... The guy paid 2200 from a junk yard and never used it for the Hummer he was going to put it in. Now he needs to clean out his garage and he'll take at most 1,000 for it, and might take as little as 500 if I flash the cash... That should bolt up to the tranny... Don't know how much trouble wiring the glow plugs and computer will be though... Any thoughts????
Might buy the engine and drive it for a while as is and switch it out if really needed and not too expensive...
Thanks

I don't think the 6.5 diesel will be as much of an improvement as you would hope. The 6.5 was designed as a light truck engine just like the 350 you currently have, so it's probably going to be a dog also. A 427 tall deck would be you easiest swap, however if you want a diesel go for a Cummins. With a Cummins look for one out of a truck such as yours, while they may share the same displacement as the ones in Dodge pickups the injector timing, governed rpm, etc are different. Keep in mind however that with all the changes for the fuel system, adding an air to air cooler for the turbo, gauge hookups, etc it may be more cost effective to simply sell that truck and buy a diesel, especially if you cannot perform most of the work yourself.

Last edited:
Scratch the Cummins idea I posted above. A Caterpillar 3116 would be the correct diesel engine for the truck. If you could a wrecked truck to pull parts from changeover would be a piece of cake. The only problem that would remain would be the fact that generally Cat engines are more expensive to purchase than their counterparts.

A CAT 3126 would be even better. The 3116's were designed to be used in generators spinning at a constant RPM not the variable RPM's like in a truck.

There is no way that truck has a 350 in it, sorry I'm not buying it. I don't think they would put a small block in a truck that big. Murphy, please call Jasper and see what belongs in that truck. Now I'm curious. Also does anyone know what the horsepower/torque difference is from 366 to 427 ? I want to put one in my truck someday so maybe we can tow my chipper with these hills here, and I tried all resources I know of- dealers, internet, a motor building shop, Jasper doesnt even know but they'll sell me one for 1600 more than 366 cost ! Just wondering if its worth it for me. Any input ? Thanks.

I never paid much attention to the 1990's models Chevys, but a large number of the 80's model C60 and C70 trucks came with the 350 motor.

As far as the Cat diesels go a 3116 would have been the correct engine up until 1997. 1998 and up models used the 3126 until the current C7 motors.

As far as the Cat diesels go a 3116 would have been the correct engine up until 1997. 1998 and up models used the 3126 until the current C7 motors.

Still doesn't mean it's not a better engine for the application. If you're gonna take the time to install a diesel in a gas truck why not go with a better engine?

Also, I've seen 350's in the older C60's and 70's as well. What a dog.

I run a cat 3116 in my 97 gmc 7500 30 yard chip truck and it is enough power, but we dont have any hills over 3ft....

My C60 came with a 350 in it. Look at switching to a big block, but i couldn't come up with the diff. motor mount for the front of the big block. So, i built a 383. Never had it dyno'd but from what i can tell it makes about 410 HP. and about 400 ft.lbs. More than a stock BB and more suited for the low gearing (high RPMS).

Mph

It's a '97 GMC 7500, 350 gas, 63,000 mi., 11' chip box, with a Kubota pony motor... seems to run well for what it is... a standard asplund underpowered dog that struggled up the first hill it ever climbed 11 years ago, empty...

Probably going to need a clutch soon, and while I AM at it I was thinking of getting some more horsepower under the hood, by either working the motor or switching out to a big block...

It is also going to need a new door and paint, and who knows what else mechanically... I paid &14,850 for the truck so I have can put some more money in it and feel good about it..

I don't work far from home (though I may be expanding the territory this year). I will start using it as a bucket truck primarily, not pulling a chipper. So I'll milk the clutch for a while and let the truck earn some money. When things get busy this spring, I'd like to be ready to use it for a second crew. I have a spare chipper, and plenty of extra gear, so it won't take much on that side.

Can I put a 454 in it? or a diesel? (and is it worth it)... Or What is the best way to get more power out of the 350? and any suggestions for service and maintenance on the altec lift are appreciated too ... I do have a servie manual for the altec....

Thanks in advance...

Murphy, what does your truck run mph flat out on the level,?. E,J,

The LR-IV is an Altec made unit. You can get whatever you need for it.

Altec bought out Asplundh in `91/`92.

For Asplundh manufactured lifts: Mandatory retirement after 25 years, mandatory rebuild after 15 years, cable replacement every two years. If it is past the 15 or 25 year mark you will not be able to buy factory parts.

They red flagged buckets after ten years and sent them off to
be rebuilt and sold by that company. I never heard of them using
older than ten except in west Texas. I have been in both the old
asplundh made and altec but both are weak lifts in my opinion.
The drive cable in these units has always had issues even brand new
they have failed. I did like them though and flew them many years
without a problem but maintenance needs performed and as always
inspections made.

Thanks in advance...

That truck should have came with a 366 which is the same as a 427
with heads changed. I have never seen a stock truck with a 350 in
it asplundh had and I used a good many, in the ten years I worked
for them. Most of the problems were in the governors and if you
are a good mechanic turn it up but according to a tach as it needs to govern just not so much that it don't run.

Last edited:
I have an 94' 427 and it is sluggish up the hills. I have tuned it up best I can without modifications (Plugs, wires, Filters, Etc), but runs pretty good. I have about 90000 miles and maintenance is key at this stage. Good luck with it.

Latest posts

Back