Just for giggles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't mind paying for good service.

If you're fast and good you shouldn't have a posted shop rate. You should charge by the job. You have a little, you know, integrity. :cheers:

and this ain't Canada.they can always go elsewhere.

Tom,
While reading your original post, I could have sworn I heard banjos playing in the background.:)

Wednesday a lady brings in her husbands little MS250 chainsaw. Runs but won't rev up is the complaint. I check the fuel hose, filter and fuel real quick, all good. I crank it up and know right away the carb is shot. I tell the lady the carb is about 65.00 for that thing. She says fix it.

I put on a new carb, saw runs perfecto. Looking it over I see the bar is completely shot as well as the chain. I mean worn beyond belief. I take both off and save them. I put a new bar and chain on. My labor for whole deal is 33.75, 3/4 of a hour.
Next day her hubby comes in to get the saw, he has the ticket stub she gave him. On the stub he had written 65.00. He goes I'm here to get my saw, I hear it costs 65.00. I go you heard wrong. He goes oh no, my wife was told 65.00. I go oh no, your wife was told a new carb cost about 65.00, do you think it was going to jump out the box and install itself on your saw?
He gives me the ut oh look. I go get his saw and the bad bar and chain. I go not only was the carb bad but so is your bar and chain. He looks at the parts and goes oh ok. I hand him his 175.00 bill and say here's your 65.00 bill, you have a good day now ya hear.

Why would I do such a thing, the man is a retired lawyer,LOLOLOL

I'm not sure how pleased I would be about this were it my saw. If I drop off a truck at the dealer to get a tune up, and he puts a new set of tires on it because mine were worn then sticks me with a bill, I'd be pissed. Perhaps I would have shown the customer his worn bar and chain , THEN offer him a new one and let him decide if he wants to spend the money there. Just my $0.02

:)

I'm not sure how pleased I would be about this were it my saw. If I drop off a truck at the dealer to get a tune up, and he puts a new set of tires on it because mine were worn then sticks me with a bill, I'd be pissed. Perhaps I would have shown the customer his worn bar and chain , THEN offer him a new one and let him decide if he wants to spend the money there. Just my $0.02

:)

Well a chainsaw isn't a truck. Secondly I saved his worn out bar and chain and showed him just how bad both were. He could have said put them back on the saw and remove the new ones if he wanted. I woud have had no problem with that. Course he would have a new carb plus labor on a saw that would not cut anything due to the worn out bar and chain. I would have to tell him how stupid he is as well for putting that junk back on that saw. He knew it and I knew it and thats why he didn't complain. If I hadn't put those items on that saw he would have made another trip sooner or later to get them so really I saved him a dime or two.

As for you saying you would be pissed, ha, time I got done telling you how stupid you are for putting that junk back on that saw you would really be pissed then and you should be, not at me, but yourself. Yes we know, its hurts to admit when the other guy is 100% right,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Now I'd be pissed to get a 175$ bill on a crappy homeowner saw that MSRP's for 329.99$....regardless of the circumstances :bringit:

Bars and chains don't last forever. When they wear out they need to be replaced so whats there to be pissed about? If the reason is because I made the decision for you all I can tell ya is if you maintained your saw I wouldn't have to make those decisions for ya. If you, like him, thought the carb was gonna jump out the box and install itself on your saw for free then maybe you need to buy the carb yourself and have at it, not have your wife tell me to fix it.

You said bring it, you got it.

Tom,
While reading your original post, I could have sworn I heard banjos playing in the background.:)

LOLOL, really. Stanely Brothers or Bill Monroe?,haha

That ice cream was good, wish we had one for that poor guy that spent all that money, I'll make sure he gets a sunday the next time he comes in,LOL

After reading all of this crap, I expect to see an uncut video on how fast you
can tear down one of the 290/310/390 saws, I know I can beat you......

One born every minute!

Bravo!:cheers:

Now, the co-da-gra would have been YOU ended up with the "broken" Husky!;)

After reading all of this crap, I expect to see an uncut video on how fast you
can tear down one of the 290/310/390 saws, I know I can beat you......

Ya think, good, you tearem down, I don't like fooling with them myself,LOLOL

Odd you bring that up Fish. We had a Sthil school back in Feburary. The boys at Stihl had a TS420 sitting on a cart. They go we have been getting alot of warranty claims that are way past the given time frame for replacing the tank housing on these machines. They said they got some claims in that were up to six hours. I think they allow 1.5 hours. They guy goes we are going to show you guys step by step how to replace it and lets see how long it really takes.

The one guy is calling out step by step and the other guy is taking the machine apart. In 25 minutes they had removed and replaced the tank housng on that machine. So 1.5 hours for the average tech should be plenty of time. Later I asked the guy that took it apart how many times have you taken that hosuing off and put it back on. He goes at least 40 times now with a huge grin on his face. He said he doesn't even tighten the screws because he's going to takem right back out at the next school.

I did my first one at the shop in 40 minutes, I need more practice, I'm 15 minutes off the mark but still 50 minutes faster than what Stihl allows.

LOL, a saw teardown showdown!! I would like to see that.

I got a 16gig memory card. I'm not sure how big a file you can load on YouTube but hey I'm game. Course Fish may get heated up looking at my beautifull elbows for 30 minutes, :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Bravo!:cheers:

Now, the co-da-gra would have been YOU ended up with the "broken" Husky!;)

I believe I could have easily talked that guy out of that Husky. He had nothing good to say about it. He kept on saying he had never liked it. It looked new. How old it was I have no idea. I thought it was a nice saw myself. I got too many saws now, I don't need anymore..

Nope, the bill is 50.00. If he doesn't come get it or pay his bill on it, you pay his bill and shipping, no more.

Now if the tables were turned and Space had it sitting there with 50.00 worth of time in it he would want the 50.00, another 25.00 for being on the phone getting your address and CC info, another 25.00 to box it, another 25.00 to do the UPS info and another 25.00 to hand it the UPS man. He would probly call you and tell you its on the way and charge 25.00 for that too. Thats the differance between Space and me, :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

sweet

Hey thats a good question. I think he just wanted to buy something, anything. His Husky was in super nice condition and I told him so. The way he was acting though I could tell he was intent on spending some money so have at it I say. Oddly he never asked for a penny discount on anything. My kinda customer..

Next thing you know, you'll be charging $120 an hour and asking for a steak dinner. Damn, you are like a lawyer! :)

Space,

Close. But, ole Tommie still walks on his hind legs and a lawyer still crawls on his belly.

ole joat

Ha, you'll be going home to get your wallet and coming back, entertainment is good where I work. How so, this is how.

Today at noon fellow comes in with a big FS250 weed trimmer. He's done yanked the rope out of it. He goes can I get this fixed today. I go depends. He goes on what. I said its lunchtime ya know. He goes yeah. I said you run down to Wendys and get me a No.2 and by the time you get back your trimmer will be ready. He goes are you serious. I go yup, I'm hungry. You can leave it if you want but I'm getting me something to eat. He goes oh noooooooooooo, sure I'll get you a No.2. I go ok. He leaves, I fix his pull cord, he comes back and the machine is waiing on him. He's happy, I'm happy, everyone is happy. Very few places fix anything on the spot, people will even buy a lunch to get that kind of service and boy do I get alot of free No.2's,LOL
Good call Thall, "feathering the nest" always works. The guy and his friends will be back. Less always turns out to be more, just as half a loaf is better than none.

John

Space,

Close. But, ole Tommie still walks on his hind legs and a lawyer still crawls on his belly.

ole joat

You tell him Joat. You know Joat I can't be too bad. I got one sweet little ole woman and her husband that I have been dealing with for years. They are loaded with money, have a big place over in Middleburg Va. He's probably 75, she is close to the same age. She's about 4'9, 100lbs at best.

Every month it seems here they come bringing me a 360 Pro I sold them about 10 years ago. I see them pull up and I automaticly stop what I'm doing and meet her at the back of their Caddliac Suv. He hits the button, the lid rasies and I reach in and get that saw. She goes thank you Tom and they leave. Its my job to maintain that saw and I do. Usually its just a chain sharpening or clean up and check over. They come back the next day, I carry the saw to the car. He hits the button, the lid raises and I set the saw back in the car. He hits the button and the lid closes. She takes the bill and says thank you Tom and away they go. Thats been going on for years. I wish all my customers were like her and that old guy, life would be so grand indeed.
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

You tell him Joat. You know Joat I can't be too bad. I got one sweet little ole woman and her husband that I have been dealing with for years. They are loaded with money, have a big place over in Middleburg Va. He's probably 75, she is close to the same age. She's about 4'9, 100lbs at best.

Every month it seems here they come bringing me a 360 Pro I sold them about 10 years ago. I see them pull up and I automaticly stop what I'm doing and meet her at the back of their Caddliac Suv. He hits the button, the lid rasies and I reach in and get that saw. She goes thank you Tom and they leave. Its my job to maintain that saw and I do. Usually its just a chain sharpening or clean up and check over. They come back the next day, I carry the saw to the car. He hits the button, the lid raises and I set the saw back in the car. He hits the button and the lid closes. She takes the bill and says thank you Tom and away they go. Thats been going on for years. I wish all my customers were like her and that old guy, life would be so grand indeed.
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Tommie,

Let's see here. Number two Happy Meals. Pink Cadillacs. Folgers. Blue Suede shoes. Pepsi. Fried peanut butter, banana and Stihl Ultra sandwiches.

Tell me about that lid raising again,

ole joat

Latest posts

Back