Just got a great deal on a 55 Rancher - Now I have questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throttle

Reaction score
A guy at work had a Husky 55 Rancher with him yesterday and said he'd let me have it for $60. I spent a good bit of time researching it on the net yesterday (mostly all on this site) and found that it gets pretty good reviews. I just cut a little firewood and keep the property up. Only saw I have had is a really old Homelite that I inherited when my Dad got a new Stihl a few years back. I don't know much about chainsaws, but this one looks in decent shape (pretty clean, no cracks, held it up by the string and it came less than 1/3 out, started pretty easy, bar shows no wear). In my looking on this site I have come up with a few questions.

How do I tell what size bar is on it? If you measure it back to the front of the saw it appears to be an 18", but if you measure including the part that attaches to the saw, it is more like 20". The bar says SL A 18/45 (among other things) on it. I assume it to be 18" but wanted to make sure before getting another chain or two.

What chain do you recommend for this saw?

A post in the archives here was about Husky serial #'s. The number on this one begins with 01 then after a space has another 7 digits. Does that make this a 2001 model?

There are several posts about 3/8 vs. .325 pitch in the archives. What would I have to do to this saw to change it to .325

There are several threads about restrictive factory mufflers. Where could I get one of those aftermarket dual port jobs that I have seen here? There is one thread that includes a picture of a 55 Rancher with a hole added to the factory muffler. Is this a good idea? Just drill a 1/2" hole or what?

What mix gas should I run in this saw?

Where can I get a manual for this saw?

This site was a great help when looking around the web for info. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks!

Another Buckeye :rock: Another Husky :( Just kidding, welcome to AS.

I'll let other s speak of muffler mods, I have no 'sperience in that. I added a factory dual-port to my MS460, I'm not aware of such for a Husky.

Changing pitch would require new sprocket and bar (if sproket-nose, if solid nose you're OK). That said, if you plan to change over, don't bother with spending $$ on a spare 3/8 chain, jsut get the package of chain(s) and bar along with sprocket. I'd spend some time with a what you have and re-think the need to change to .325.

Get good quality oil, husky or shihl (I'm sure there are others), mix 50:1 as directed and be happy. You never know what mix ratio the previuous owner ran and thus tuned to, so re-tune your cab for your mix and stay consistent with it. Some people argue that you need to tune your saw every day, some even more frequently, but I'm not convinced that's really needed. I'm not that close to the edge of performance that wearing out the jet screw threads is worthwhile. I'm kind of a set-it-and-forget-it kind of guy. I recently bought a tach, so that may change, however.

And for goodness sake, buy good gas and mix in smallish batches - don't let it get stale on you.

Above all else, be safe and have fun.

Husqvarna Web Site

Go to the USA Husqvarna website (http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/). Under the Retailers & Service there is a link to Product & Manual Search. When I got my 55 Rancher I didn't have any paperwork for it. You can download a PDF of the owners manual. There are several to choose from so make sure you get the right one. Most of your questions can be answered from the owners manual.

I believe there is a chart in the manual stating what chain and bar combinations will work with the Rancher. I'm more of a lurker here so others probably can answer your questions more easily than I can.

Good Luck and congrats on what sounds like a good deal.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. The product and manual search worked, but how do I tell which book is the right one? Is there a clue in the serial # as to what the year of the saw is? I think that my take on the serial # makes it an 01. There are three different books for 01's on the site. One for EPA, one for EPA I, and one for EPA II. Anyone know how to tell which book I need?

Well...

That is a good question throttle. I had it easy as my saw was brand new but missing parts so I just got the most recent one. At a guess, I would check over your saw and try to match it up to which manual fits it best. Or e-mail your saws serial number to Husky to find a year match. Is there a metal plate about 1"x2" somewhere on, the saw? That might have a date on it. I can't remember if mine has the date there or not. Can you ask the guy you got it from about when he purchased it?

Jeff

He said he picked it up at an estate sale and didn't know much about it, but that most of the other tools there looked in good shape.

Back