Just got my new Husky 576XP...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ja1724

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This puppy came with a 20" 3/8" pitch .058 gauge bar. I want to up the bar length to either 24" or 28" but none of these longer bars that I have seen are the .058 gauge.

Is there any advantage to the .058 gauge chain due to the slight increase in width or should I just buy the longer bar and use the .050 chain?

Thanks for the insight guys.

Congrats on the saw! Like Brad said, .050 is fine. Only .008 of an inch difference.

I run .058 on my 346 and .050 on my 357, for no other reason than that's the bars I have.

Right, wrong, or otherwise the way it was explained to me was that if you have a 058 bar as it wears you can use 063 which makes it much less (.005 vesrus .008) of a jump than 050-058.

I believe many shops use 050 on their Husqy saws to keep more standardized with Stihls use of 050.

Where in the north east are you? And where are you not seeing 058 bars in longer lengths?

Husky/JRED in the north east is pretty much all 058 for 3/8.

There's not significant gain of strength 050 to 058.

If you go 050 on a big husky in the north east you may have trouble getting chain from your husky dealer depending on what they stock. On the upside, you get to buy stihl RSC from any stihl dealer. RSC is tough to find in 058!

Last edited:
baileys has nice carlton tsumura bars 24" 058. Also congrats on the 576. It is a super smooth saw. Run a comfort series chain and it's like it's not even running.

Last edited:
Right, wrong, or otherwise the way it was explained to me was that if you have a 058 bar as it wears you can use 063 which makes it much less (.005 vesrus .008) of a jump than 050-058.

I believe many shops use 050 on their Husqy saws to keep more standardized with Stihls use of 050.

.063 chain on worn out .058 bars can work OK for streigh down cutting for a while, but the wear usually takes more of a "V" shape than a "U" one - so it doesn't work well for any other type of cut. I have done it, and do not recommend it for anything but bucking in the yard.

Congrats! I'd shoot for a 32" and get some full skip RSC. A 24" isn't enough difference imo vs. the cost. A 28" would be fine also and might give it a better balance. If you want a bad A bar, check out the Oregon reduced weights. Yes, they are expensive and are one heck of a back saver. I love them bars...:heart:

Congrats! I'd shoot for a 32" and get some full skip RSC. A 24" isn't enough difference imo vs. the cost. A 28" would be fine also and might give it a better balance. If you want a bad A bar, check out the Oregon reduced weights. Yes, they are expensive and are one heck of a back saver. I love them bars...:heart:

I guess that depends on the wood he is going to cut - a longer bar than you need = lesser performance + less than optimal handling + you more likely hit the dirt when bucking. ;)

Last edited:
I guess that depends on the wood he is going to cut - a longer bar than you need = lesser performance + less than optimal handling + you more likely hit the dirt when bucking. ;)

Very true! I like the 28" and 32" myself for just about anything around 20" and up. If I eat my wheaties that morning I can fall, limb and buck all day using those RWs bars. My 044 with a 28" RW is a killer setup, almost like shooting my 700 PSS in .308. A pure joy to use.

Very true! I like the 28" and 32" myself for just about anything around 20" and up. If I eat my wheaties that morning I can fall, limb and buck all day using those RWs bars. My 044 with a 28" RW is a killer setup, almost like shooting my 700 PSS in .308. A pure joy to use.

Im kind of interested in those RW bars. Not enough to run out and buy one, but would definitely like to try one out sometime.

Back