Just Had My Chimney Swept

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njtuna

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
cost $75 including tax. wondering what those that do not do this themselves pay? this is something i think i would like to do myself in the future. is there a rule of thumb regarding how often to sweep your chimney? i burned three cords last year, and will burn a little more this year. thanks

I also burned 3 cord last year and I swept my chimney twice. Once mid winter and a final sweep and inspection in the spring. The National Chimney Sweep Guild recomends sweeping your chimney whenever you find more than 1/4" of creosote anywhere in your system. I didn't find anything near that, but like to check it out for peace of mind. I guess that it all depends on your burning habits, draft, and firewood moisture.

The sweeps around here charge $85.

Last edited:
I know I probably am going to be chastised for paying too much but I paid $250 last year. Other people I know who use different sweeps pay between $150-$200. My guy does a full camera inspection, inspection of the outside masonry and checks all gas appliance (furnace or boiler) connections. I will admit that they are pricey but I have also developed a relationship of trust. When I refer them to others people they have commented on the quality of work. For example, they did a chimney inspection on a home a friend was looking to purchase. Based on their recommendation my friend was able to save a couple of thousand $ on the purchase price. I know I could find cheaper or do it myself but my comfort level would drop and how do you put a price on that? I still consider $250 to be cheap insurance when compared to the cost and hassle of having a chimney fire because the cheaper schlep didn't do it right.

Have at it boys!

I am surprised njtuna got a sweep so cheap. I payed $75. also but that was upstate NY. The guy was a character and look forward to have him back this fall. They told us at the fireplace store to expect to pay around $180. But we shopped around and found cheaper and possibly better.

I used my 3 year old son, tied a brush around his waist and pulled him down the chimney into the stove with a rope tied to his feet. Only hard part was getting him up on the roof. His mom threw him in the shower and cleaned him off, worked great, I gave him a quarter.

I used my 3 year old son, tied a brush around his waist and pulled him down the chimney into the stove with a rope tied to his feet. Only hard part was getting him up on the roof. His mom threw him in the shower and cleaned him off, worked great, I gave him a quarter.

Normally, I would laugh, but I don't thing your joking. Also, I'll bet you didn't give your son anything!

Just kidding.

Last edited:
$95.00 here in East Central Illinois. That pays for a thorough cleaning, visual inspection(chimney on down). We burn 2-3 cords a year almost all hardwood.
I usually have it cleaned every 3-4 years and have had very little build-up between cleanings. The local chimney sweep recommends a visual inspection
every spring ($50.00), but I have not done this.

mark

I sweep mine myself once/year at start of season. Usually find only about a pound of brown powdery stuff in the elbow at the back of the stove after I sweep it (dirty job digging it out of there).

Burn about 5-6 cord/year

Harry K

Usually 100-150$ up here, a bit more if you have a flue. I do my own several times a year but its an easy climb and a straight pipe to the stove. I burn about 2 1/2 - 4 cords a year depending on how cold it gets, if I resort to not quite cured stuff (oi) I climb the roof once a month just for piece of mind.

:cheers:

the sweep i used was recommended by a neighbor who has used him for some time. he is a fireman in our town, and does chimney work as a side business. i was happy with the price, and the fact that he is a fireman makes me feel fairly comfortable. this was the first time i had it done, house is 1 year old. i don't think he used a video camera though

I used to do my own when I had a wood stove with 8 inch pipe and I could get onto my roof with no help. Did it every year for 15 years and didnt cost me anything but the brushes and rods.

Now I live in a house with a fireplace insert and chimney and paid $110 for the sweep I had with buying the house and then again 2 weeks ago. Great guy, pro in my book and knows what he is doing. After seeing what he got out this time I will wait at least another year before doing it again.

Shipper

I just had mine cleaned this past Saturday and it cost $50.00. Cost $50.00 last year and the year before. I actually offered the guy more this year and he refused. Said that $50.00 was fair to him. It's a short run (2 floors & through the roof) and it took him and his son (not 3, in his early 20's) less than a half hour - ladders and all.

8 years ago I lined mine with 18 gauge stainless. I sweep it once a year and get a coffee can full or so. It all falls back in the stove and gets recycled. I find there's alot less buildup with the pipe.

Back