Just had my first climb with my new gear.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, your pics don't show up, and there's no link or code to make it appear that it's been uploaded. Is your camera shaped like a figure eight too?

I'm sure the duct tape will make a great loop for your 1320.

Fall off of the crane today? Difficult to restrain yourself from waiting until the operator gets you to the tree before you jump out too soon. These blows to the head by the big earth will not prove a good show for anyone if that is what you are trying to do for the groundies. Post pics if you have them though. :dizzy:

Yeah, your pics don't show up, and there's no link or code to make it appear that it's been uploaded. Is your camera shaped like a figure eight too?

Still using the good stuff to stay in touch with me?

old-computer-thumb.jpg

I'm working with the Intel/Pentium Dual Processor in a 3.20 giga hertz realm. I can reach you just fine with this, kid. See all of the pictures too.:greenchainsaw:

Hey, you said you were gonna improvise, and with the amount of foresight displayed here, it's only logical to arrive at the conclusion that the limits of your improvisation must include duct tape.

Pics.....or it didn't happen.

Hey, you said you were gonna improvise, and with the amount of foresight displayed here, it's only logical to arrive at the conclusion that the limits of your improvisation must include duct tape.

Pics.....or it didn't happen.

The pics show up from here. It's probably the toaster you've got connected to the phone wires out there that can't pic up the pics.

By the way, I'll do this job with a case of duct tape on one shoulder and a 1320 taped to my little finger without any nicey nice climbing saddles at all if it comes down to it.:greenchainsaw:

I can't tell if the guy is a hound or not. If the pics are not showing up, you can click my profile. On the right side is the albums window with the number 1 in the box. Click the 1, and there will be exactly 5 letter/number sequences listed. Click the first one on the left. When the first pic shows up, just click next at the bottom to go through the photos.

The pics show up from here. It's probably the toaster you've got connected to the phone wires out there that can't pic up the pics.

By the way, I'll do this job with a case of duct tape on one shoulder and a 1320 taped to my little finger without any nicey nice climbing saddles at all if it comes down to it.:greenchainsaw:

I bet you will....

You've proven you can post a pic from the web, but many of us have yet to see this goldmine of used gear that you think you got a deal on......

treemandan said:
what saddle? You see a saddle? I heard about a saddle but never saw no saddle. Was there a saddle? Huh?

Plasmech said:
I was wondering the same thing...

NCTREE said:
I see something that could be pawned off for a saddle, but it looks more like a diaper to me.
...referring to the cute lil purple thing you posted.....

C'mon....we wanna see it.

Edit...finally....you didn't do too bad on the hardware.....dunno if I'd fly the saddle more than twice, but with a case of duct tape and the 1320 you might survive. I dig the lefty 8, those are hard to find around here.

Last edited:
I bet you will....

You've proven you can post a pic from the web, but many of us have yet to see this goldmine of used gear that you think you got a deal on......

Cute lil....? It's got a purple string on it, and the photo shop software made the gray straps look purple. You've seen it.

I wondered 'bout the string, but I realized nearly everything in climbing sport/job has colored brightly with blues, yellows, greens etc. What's wierd about that? The only thing that is wierd about that is what's in your head, mossy.

Showing off your five year old style game?

Brighto, 3120s climb on their owns.

Attn everyone else: Thanks for the hell. No, wait. Thanks for reading that one post. I tread like a poet. I write pages like a paddle boat. I'd hate have it go to waste.

No actually i'm showing everyone that they need to get out the BS shovel because some idiot thinks he in a poetry forum.

In all seriousness, it looks like a modified rock saddle. The dorsal attachment must have been for a fall arrest system, perhaps something that is used more in sailing. You will find out very quickly that your progress will be inhibited by that saddle primarily because there are no metal side attachment points.

I'm sorry for the harsh words and being that your ex-military and I'm ex-military, I wanna help and wish you the best. I started out going from casual rappelling gear to tree work, and it took me awhile to get used to trusting other people's advice and or the new gear. It's even harder getting advice from online where at first you can't really tell who knows their sh#t from guys that have only been doing this for a couple years and act like they know it all. Having said that, even the guys that only have been doing this for a couple year, and me only been doing this for 10 years have been giving you pretty good advice. One thing that differs me from you is that I never act or give advice on stuff that I don't have direct experience from, which you have done. Everybody on here may have different opinions on what gear to use, how to use it, what's considered safe and what's not, etc, etc, but so far I haven't read on here any downright, flatout false information that would kill you, except coming from you. Tone it down a bit, and learn from it. After this, I'm done replying to your post. I don't know wether to laugh, cry, or get angry from reading your post, but I've said all I can to help you. Good luck.

So I saw the pics there on the thing you have there. Anyway, looks like a loaded gun so be careful and always tie in real good and forecast your moves and cuts yer gonna be fine.

In all seriousness, if I were you, I would spend $200 on a tree saddle rather than climb with that harness ya got there. You have no side d-rings, so where ya gonna clip your lanyard? There's no loops for your saw lanyard, throw bag, extra biners, etc.

That harness looks like it's gonna be more of a pain in the :censored: than a help to you. You can get a good quality saddle, though not necessarily extremely light or comfortable and lacking some bels and whistles, from any of the big manufacturers for around 200 bucks. Also, you will probably find that if you are climbing on a climbing line without a lanyard while working below your TIP, that when you bury your saw in the wood, that you get pushed or pulled by the saw. With a lanyard, you will have much more stability, and ANSI will be much happier. You can get a lanyard set from any of the major dealers for 50-100 bucks.

I hate to say it, but I think you have just enough to hurt yourself with there.

T

I knew something was missing about it, but I couldn't lay a finger on it. Now I see it. HTH am I going to put a lanyard on let alone the saw? What a let down. :jawdrop: I might be able to improvise with the two links in the front, but....

This is why I tread threads here. 5 pages into this one, and I finally get somebody who gives me some advise that his state plain enough to make the difference. Thanks for the spot check, TB.

Lego, I'll send you a e-card to dry your tears with. :cry: :dunno:

I bet you will....

Edit...finally....you didn't do too bad on the hardware.....dunno if I'd fly the saddle more than twice, but with a case of duct tape and the 1320 you might survive. I dig the lefty 8, those are hard to find around here.

3 post in a row, but I saw the edit, and I had to get it. DDH, as a matter of fact that is some great gear. It's all looking up from here. I'm putting in an order for an arborists saddle, some ivy or tachyeon, and a big shot here briefly. I need to see if I'm not going to be strapped for money first when I take one of my trucks to the shop tomorrow.

I just wrote this big post on more advice, but then I just read your other post. If that's your attitude, screw it. I'm sure your dumb@ss will be dead by the end of the year.

Last edited:
I'm going to work with the stuff as it is. I've been climbing for a while now, but not in anything that my ladder couldn't get me into beside all of the palm trees and removals that I'm allowed to spike.

That Climber's Companion is a rich item for the trade. You're right about how valuable it reads.

Tell us more about the saddle you were using while spiking palms? Don't be too hasty about getting rid of your ladder, there are some excellent video tutorials concerning cutting from ladders on the youtube . If it can't be cut from a ladder, it can't be cut, that's what I always say.

I just wrote this big post on more advice, but then I just read your other post. If that's your attitude, screw it. I'm sure your dumb@ss will be dead by the end of the year.

I would have paid $20 bucks to have read that gem, but gosh darnit. Anyway I wrote you a PM to clarify all of the your falsely brewed issues and your bad mouthing of my character in this thread today.

I believe I said I'd send you the e-card in a post above because you gave out something about you weren't sure about crying. Crying? Really? Over my posts? Surely you.... I really never wrote anything that could be so dramatic,...... (whispers to self) "or could I?"

Anyway, make no mistake. My attitude is 99% grade A. Your perception/observation ineptitude is grilled and ready - so to speak - in a PM that I've sent to you.

Don't let this stuff get to you. It took a long time to stop letting the "forum foes" that reek the "internet universe" boil me from the core outward. Now I move on to more and better so fast that I don't have time to get hung up on the masses of them for more than a brief moment, and only if it is necessary to do so. If you're worth your weight like you must believe about yourself, your place is as good as granted overall. Nothing I've said or ever can say can move that tree as long as your are a credulous character.

Tell us more about the saddle you were using while spiking palms? Don't be too hasty about getting rid of your ladder, there are some excellent video tutorials concerning cutting from ladders on the youtube . If it can't be cut from a ladder, it can't be cut, that's what I always say.

1311-L.jpg

That's what I've been using. It gets the job done.

Ladders, they can get me into the trees, and I can make my way up from there, but there are a lot of instances where the ladder will not do. For instance in trees where there is a gap from limbs that I can reach by climbing with no ropes or spikes to limbs that can't be reached by climbing without a rope and harness.

Thus far I've actually only encountered one tree that I could not ascend the whole thing with out extra help. I took 10' inch spikes, and made steps to reach the crown. Tree was a removal.

I have encountered jobs to do bids on where the trees were the real statues of liberty so to speak, but of course I had to turn down those. Some of the customers asked why I would turn down the work. :dizzy: I look forward to taking on those jobs in the near future as long as they are not over any structures for the first string of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back