Just how good is the Makita 6401?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promac850

formerly promac610
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying one, probably with the BB kit installed. :) Who owns one? What do you think of it? I know that it's a Dolmar in actuality. Insight and reviews would be appriciated. Thanks, Kyle

ce

One of the stars in the 65cc class in stock form! With a bb kit its untouchable for its weight and balance !!! Just be sure to wait to install kit after warranty expires.

You can't go wrong with one. If you can pick up a used rental from homedepot thats the way to go. the one I have is from homedepot. I also have the 7901 bought it on ebay. Both excellent saws. Both have there place.:chainsaw:

I like mine.
Good saw, I put the BB kit on it in the fall.
I will get another one next chance I get.
168426d1295115980-new-kita-003-jpg

Finally got the dang pic to show up.

Last edited:
I got one

I installed an Oregon 24" bar and chain. Made it a little nose heavy compaired to my MAC 10 with a 20". You'd never notice bucking.
Not one complaint, starts, runs great and cuts like an animal, lots of big chips.
I tried to get a used one from Home Cheapo to install the BB kit but they were not replacing their rental inventory and the price would have been only a hundred or so less then new. A better deal from Bailey's with the free shipping .
Many nice features, easy clean filter, rim type sprocket, cheap to replace.
The color, sure stands out amoung the white, black, red and yellows of my other saws.

Very well made and easy to work on saw. Used to be the undisputed "bang for the buck" king of pro quality saws when you could buy a NIB 6401 for $450 to $475. The new version, with cat muffler but everything else the same (Model 6421) is selling for $600 which certainly takes away some of the price advantage.

I've got a 7901 that I made out of a 6401 and the OEM top end, I've got my Home Depot $50. special that I've put a new top end on (actually the P&C out of my 7901 project), and I've got a NIB 6401 and a new Mahle 79cc top end that I"m going to put together when it stops being so bloody cold in my basement

I have two - one is red 7900 the other is a 6401 with a dolmar 7900 kit on it. I really like them. Great power - very good anti vib. Mine are both moded, never run one stock, never even started the new 6400 before it got a cyl. kit.

Just got the baileys flyer and no longer has 6401 listed. It's now model 6421 @ $630 stock 64cc and $730 84cc BB option. May have NOS around still, I guess.

They look like nice saws. If I come around one for $50 needing a top end I'll jump on it.

I have an ex Home Depot rental saw -I paid $155 for it. All you need to do is call every HD in your area with a rental department. Persistence pays off- you'll eventually get one.
I put a Baileys 84cc BB kit on it and now its a screamer! Definitely the best bang for the buck.:tongue:

Don't worry about any warranty issues, I can nearly guarantee you won't have any on that saw. The BB kits really wake these saws up. They've got a lot of poke for what they are. Just do a muffler mod and add another port so it'll flow better to compensate for 85cc. I've run a couple of BB kits on these saws and they're impressive.

I have the red version of the 6401 that I wouldn't trade for anything (almost anything). That has got to be one of the best cutting saws I have ever run. It is reliable, has a good amount of power in stock form and is very easy to maintain. I am going to keep mine stock until the warranty expires and then I am going to put a 7900 P+C in it. Even if I don't end up doing that, that saw does not lack in any category to me.

great saws! Have three dolmars and love all three. I never thought I would have any thing but a husky or stihl, but slowly the dolmars have taken over my fleet. All of mine are stock and have more torque than any of my other saws that I have had in the same size . Run an 8 pin rim and you got good chain speed too.

the makita 6421 ships with the cat muffler, if upgrading to the big bore definately get rid of the cat, it seems dolmar is shipping the new 7900 without the cat muffler(makes you wonder).

Latest posts

Back