Just how good is the Makita 6401?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any of you guys run one stock with just a muffler mod? Just got a 6401 and wanted to know how much difference it will make on it.

Others have done, I have not. The muffler for the 6401 is the same as a 7900 and that works well without a muffler mod, by most reports here, so mm a 6401 won't give you much.

I added the 84 cc kit to mine and really like it so far. It hasn't gotten too much use yet, as I've only cut a few cords with it.

Dolmar,nuff said..
first time in wood,10500 rpm,,runnin rich for break in,dont have a vid of it at 13500,sorry.
24in bar,big knotty red oak wood.
the way it runs now after break in makes this look slow..

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PE7GdEY7k2o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PE7GdEY7k2o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Good video Ron. That is a great way to show what a great saw that is. Have you done anything else to it other than the HD air filter kit?

Ron, is that saw in the video a 64cc or did you put a BB kit on it?

Ron, is that saw in the video a 64cc or did you put a BB kit on it?

It's got the 84cc BB kit on it,ported nicely too.
gotta get a new vid of it sometime soon..now thats it's broke in and tuned better it is just,well, indiscribable !
i do cheat tho,i use a frostbite chain on it.

gotta get a new vid of it sometime soon..now thats it's broke in and tuned better it is just,well, indiscribable !

Whatever you are doing with that saw, you be doing it right. One fine machine. You will really have to put a video of it now side by side with the original video, must be no comparison.

What did you think of the quality of the NWP kit? I am considering it for mine, but can't decide whether to get this or the Mahle kit. Now that Bailey's has the NWP kit on sale for $99, that NWP kit is looking better and better.

I have had one for several years now and I love it. I bought it one ebay for $160 and have been going to put the 7900 kit on or the Baileys BB kit, but like it so much as is that I will wait till something happens to it. As stated before now that the BB kit is $99 it sure is tempting. This saw is my go to saw, use it all the time. I am sold on it. JR

I am thinking of buying one, probably with the BB kit installed. :) Who owns one? What do you think of it? I know that it's a Dolmar in actuality. Insight and reviews would be appriciated. Thanks, Kyle

To put it simple, it only is a really good saw with the 79cc top-end on it, that is what it originally was made for.

To put it simple, it only is a really good saw with the 79cc top-end on it, that is what it originally was made for.

Really?...I would have to strongly disagree ! i have the 6400,usually run a 20 inch bar but also use 28 inch when i need to with no problem in oak,hickory and ash...

What did you think of the quality of the NWP kit? I am considering it for mine, but can't decide whether to get this or the Mahle kit. Now that Bailey's has the NWP kit on sale for $99, that NWP kit is looking better and better.

Shoot,for $99 you cant go wrong !!

Latest posts

Back