Just inherited a Homelite Super EZ, questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigpen29

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So my dad heard i was looking at getting a chainsaw so he decided he would pass me down my Grandfathers old chainsaw. Turns out it is a Homelite Super -EZ. He said it had been sitting in his shed for 5+ years doing nothing and god knows how long in my grandfathers.

So i went to try and start the thing, HA couldn't even pull the string all the way out. Took it home and removed the starter cover, its was CAKED. So i cleaned that off and put it back together. i pulled the cord again and it felt a lot easier. so I then pulled the choke out and found the throttle lock, which i later found out is the decompression valve. That thing started right up! I have to say i was REALLY surprised. I don't think this saw has been touched in at minimum 10 years.

So i was curious any idea what year it was made? I saw someone earlier could tell by the serial number, mine is 20560914. I used it today to cut some firewood, freaking great little thing!

You have got yourself a great little saw that can handle about anything a homeowner can throw at it, and then some. I can not give you a exact age for your Homelite but I do believe that saw cam around in the late 70's and ended in the mid-late 80's, someone else may be able to help you more using the serial number. Is your saw the red/white or the blue/white version?

Here is some more info on your saw
Super E-Z
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...0d87c5c0a885621988256c280063ca60?OpenDocument

Super E-Z auto
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...7e1393c1e2bf499e88256c260018df5c?OpenDocument

Mine is a red and white. After reading another post looks like mine maybe was built in 1972. Wow 38 years old and still kicking. Hopefully some one can confirm.

I was really suprised at the bite this thing has!

Good score! Glad to hear you have your Grandfather's saw up and running. When you had the recoil cover off, did you clean all the gunk inside the cover and on the cooling fins of the cylinder? These are tough little saws, but tend to be a bit prone to overheating if the fins are gunked. That's true for any saw.............but these seem to be especially sensitive to it. Take care of that saw and you'll be passing it down to your grandchildren!:cheers:

That little Super EZ in the red color was made later than the original blue ones. It only has a bout 40 cc, but it performs like a bigger saw. Anything in that CC category would be pulling a low profile chain these days, but there was no such thing back in the day. Your EZ is assuredly running a regular 3/8 pitch chain, and it doesn't even flinch. Those are darned good little saws, take care of it and enjoy it!

BTW, they were never cheap saws or cheaply made. they were the real deal only in a small size.

Last edited:
That little Super EZ in the red color was made later than the original blue ones. It only has a bout 40 cc, but it performs like a bigger saw. Anything in that CC category would be pulling a low profile chain these days, but there was no such thing back in the day. Your EZ is assuredly running a regular 3/8 pitch chain, and it doesn't even flinch. Those are darned good little saws, take care of it and enjoy it!

BTW, they were never cheap saws or cheaply made. they were the real deal only in a small size.

I have a XL Mini [same as EZ Auto] That I run with a 16`` bar & LP chain it can keep up with more modern saws in the cutting stakes & out performs all the home owner saws of around the same CC`s Treat it well & it will do all you ask of it.

Let us see some pics. Does it have a blue or black coil. Does it have a black filter cover or a red one. Great little saw, I have used them for much larger tasks than they were designed for. They do tend to run hot in the summer, just gives me an excuse to sharpen the chain a little more. It is also the saw that is in my Tahoe at all times, small enough to not get in the way, strong enough to handle just about anything.

Let us see some pics. Does it have a blue or black coil. Does it have a black filter cover or a red one. Great little saw, I have used them for much larger tasks than they were designed for. They do tend to run hot in the summer, just gives me an excuse to sharpen the chain a little more. It is also the saw that is in my Tahoe at all times, small enough to not get in the way, strong enough to handle just about anything.

Did you mean pics of my MINI or the OP`s EZ .If it was mine At the moment I`m Cameraless, grand daughter [BORROWED It?] My saw looks much the same as an EZ it has a red filter cover, chrome surround to re coil casing. It`s a points type saw but fitted with a NOVA2 ignition chip,Old Homelite spare parts are unobtainable in France, have to get parts from the US, & post cost a lot of times are a killer. It has crossed flag decals on the recoil & bar covers. Fitted with a throttle latch decomp mech.It takes same clutch, sprocket,bar,chain, as the Ez, or 150. I run it with 16``Oregon bar,rim sprocket, & Oregon 60 dl, 91vxl chain, should by 59dl`s but it`s less hassle to obtain a 60 dl chain It`s fitted with an auto oiler with manual overide If it wasn`t me you meant please forgive the ramble

Here are some pics from tonight i took. Its not very clean right now but i just got it so in good time.

img0304g.jpg

img0307j.jpg

img0306dr.jpg

So i was curious any idea what year it was made? I saw someone earlier could tell by the serial number, mine is 20560914. I used it today to cut some firewood, freaking great little thing!

Your serial number is eight digit, which means that the year is designated by the first number. If a 9 digit serial number, then year is designated by second digit. Your saw would be manufactured in 1972 on day 56 and unit number 914 that day. Nice looking EZ :cheers:

S-ez

Here are some pics from tonight i took. Its not very clean right now but i just got it so in good time.

img0304g.jpg

img0307j.jpg

img0306dr.jpg

pigpen
It was our experience that the first S-EZ that had the metal screen around the starter cover caused less trouble than the later ones that had a plastic around the starter cover.
chainsawlady

That's a cool looking saw. Although I don't own one of those models, I do own a few XL-12's. These machines were built well and things don't wear out easily, but things do go bad and finding parts isn't easy. I suggest that at your leisure scour ebay and craigslist for parts. Many old saw shops sell new old stock, ,and you never know when you will need something. I haven't spent a lot of money, but over the past few years I've gotton enough parts to almost build a new saw..As others suggested, handing these saws down the future family tree is important, and this tip makes that easier...:clap:....:msp_smile:

Wow Sef that looks great. Yours is a lot cleaner looking then mine lol. Dont think i can clean mine up to be that nice :msp_biggrin:

How badly do you want/need one? I'll get some pics of mine this weekend.

Here is what my EZ looks like. It's not a Super but still has alot of pep to it.

That is nice looking for sure Scott. I'm more in the market for a Super............but wouldn't turn down a 'regular' E-Z that nice. If that's the one you're thinking about parting with, then PM me with the details...:cheers:

Back