Just picked up a Stihl S-10...whats it missing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just got this saw today and know nothing about it. it is in real good shape and runs well. It wont stay running...I will start with plug fuel filter and carb kit if available. It seems as though there is no choke valve and the on off switch is a piece of metal out of the back of the saw.

Heres some pics can anyone tell me more about it?

I went to Acres site already.

There should be a choke, and it should be attached to a govenor. Maybe the govenor is stuck.

Can you tell from my pcs where the choke lever is? Like I said there is a lever on the left side ofthe andle that is missing. Attached to that is a small piece of wire coming out of a round hole out the back. When pulled back it moves a large piece of metal OFF the flywheel.

In pic 798 you can see the little wire from the back of the saw and also by the handle on the left where there seems to be a missing lever.

Are these saws any good? Any value?

The more I fart around Acres site the more this look like an 08 with an S-10 side cover. Did the s10 come in top handle models?

I have an S-10

It was my Grandfathers. I am forty and it was an old saw when I was a Kid.
I just went and looked at it.. The ignition switch is on the left side of the handle. just a little nub you slide fore and aft . The round hole on Grandpas appears to have the paint still on the inside. Like nothing was ever mounted there.. The side cover on it is cracked really bad.Bad enough I would say it is not safe to use.
I had it running five years or so ago.. Just to hear it run.
It is mine now. I have no idea what I will ever do with it. It is just sitting under the stairs over in the farm shop.where it used to sit for many years.
A few years ago my father and his siter had an eastate sale. Sold alot of my grandparents things. Some I could not stand to see leave the farm. So I bought em back. a reel type lawnmower, Grandpas old manual typewriter. and just a few sentimental items.. I just put most of it back where it was before the sale.. Looks like it always did. Mammaw and Pappaws Farm should always look the same..
My father owns the house and barns. so we tend to keep it looking as if someone actually does live there.
sorry did not mean to get off topic.
Vut I think that is an S10 you have

This saw looks almost identical to my 08S. Mine does have a tank vent coming up through the hole. The choke is to the left of the throttle, Black button that slides down for choke and up for off.

Yup, looks like my 08s, and yup, its missing the slider on/choke switch on the casing just below the trigger on the left side. The hole the wire is coming out of is access to your idle adjustment screw though I've always found it a PITA to get in there so pull the housing to adjust it (several years ago lol). If you look around there are still parts for these as they made them for almost 30yrs. Some people don't have much regard for them, I'm not one, they work hard, are well built and slow, but reliable and tons of torque (mine runs a 21" bar no probs). Good luck, I have a pdf file of parts if tya need it.

I would have to agree that it is an 08S. Were these good saws? It seems parts are more readily available for them.

Your saw also has a S10 muff. on it. I have the dawg your saw missing if you're interested.

My 08S starts every time I pick it up and cuts about as well as you could expect out of a 56cc saw running 20" of .404 barbed wire.

Boston, I didn't see this thread until you linked it from the other one, but my thoughts anyway.

Looking at what you have I would suggest that it started out life as an S-10 and then was modified with some 08/08S parts.

The top cover is obviously off an 08/08S or a TS 350, you can see that it has originally been used with the choke slider as the paint is worn off around the slotted hole. Are you sure that the wire isn't attached to the carb? It would make sense if this was an ad-hoc choke mechanism that has had to be frigged with the wire out of the hole that is there to access the LA adjustment screw on an 08/08S or TS 350 because the carb is set up for a rear handled machine which looks like the S-10 or would also fit a TS 360, both rear handle machines rather than the top handled 08/08S or TS 350. I can't think that there even is any difference on the choke between the two setups, but may be the guy doing it thought that it had to be pulled from behind. That said I've noticed a metal flap like you describe near the flywheel on my Contra, is it the kill switch? Does the metal flap have a spring attached to it to hold it ON the flywheel?

How do you choke the saw to start it?

I think that to make the top handled throttle work the carb has had to have its throttle lever changed so that it was actuated from above by a solid metal throttle rod, rather that the cable arrangement used on the TS 360, and I suspect the S-10.

The muffler seems to me to be the biggest clue. I can't see how the S-10 muffler would end up on an 08/08S as well as the wrong carb and an S-10 oil tank. It is possible, but I think you have an S-10 repaired with a new, to it, top cover and a modified carb.

Dan

Dan......thanks for the reply.

This is an S-10 Top handle. They were produced for a very short time. the wire is sticking up because I had no IPL for the saw and didnt understand the functioning of the kill switch. The wire attaches to a copper slider underneath the plastic one. The carb is all set-up the right way and all the holes you se are access holes toadjust the carb. The twop piece slider is on order. I have recently acquired an original copy of a S-10 top handle IPL from a member over at chainsawcollectors.se. I have it rigged right now with a newer on/off switch just so I can kill it without choking it.

Thanks for the input though.

stihltech said:
Definitly an 08 with an S10 replacement side cover. The S10 has a black plastic top handle.

Bostonbull, That's my guess too.
I have a 08S too (1976) and it looks exactly like yours except for the muffler and the chain side cover.

the choke lever on yours is missing (like other already said). the lever is also linked to a metal plate that pivots just above the flywheel (purpose is probably to reduce/ icnrease air flow when choking)

the kill switch is gone too (also on mine). will post some pics tomorrow if you wish.

The 08(S) is dayly offered on german ebay and seems to be very popular among collectors in europe. they still go for easily 150 to 200 $, even when 30 years old.
regards,

Roland

belgian said:
the lever is also linked to a metal plate that pivots just above the flywheel (purpose is probably to reduce/ icnrease air flow when choking)

Roland

ah.... That's the govenor... Chokes the saw when you rev too high....

Lakeside53 said:
ah.... That's the govenor... Chokes the saw when you rev too high....

Thanks Andy, I know I should have asked you first...;)

Here's some pics of my 08S. The paint is really bad, but mechanically she's in real good shape and runs strong.
Just have to put a new kill switch.

Last edited:
Back